It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sylvia Brown scam.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just read
Mystical Traveler: How to Advance to a Higher Level of Spirituality which is by Sylvia Brown hoping to gain more of an understanding of the psychic phenomena only to find out she was a scam.

Is the reason why the psychic phenomena is under so much scrutiny because of people like her? From the book I read by her she seemed so into-herself and so narrow in her views that she couldn't think of natural explanations for things which she thought was psychic phenomena.

I've read several other far more convincing things about the psychic phenomena that actually convinced me it was real. This book didn't convince me of anything. It lead me to be more confused in as to what she believed in.

I am convinced that Sylvia Brown is a scam now. How can people continue to believe her? Are there other scam-artists out in the industry?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
SYLVIA BROWNE

Hey, want to know what your future is? Would you pay $700 to find out about it with no guarantee the information you get is right? If so, pick up your phone and give good old Sylvia Browne a ring. She claims she can predict the future but can't give you any sort of guarantee that a $700 reading will be of any value. Sylvia also likes to dabble into UFO abductions. Sylvia got caught on national radio after agreeing that the West Virginia miners would be found alive, but later reversing what she said after the shocking news was released that all but one miner died. This is how low scum will go. Sylvia says she's on a mission from God. This mission apparently includes selling books, DVDs, tour cruises, phone readings, psychic salons ($1,000 per person), and custom jewelry with asking prices in the three-thousand dollar range. Something else that this 'psychic' doesn't advertise: She reportedly has a felony rap sheet for securities fraud.

found this at ufowatchdog.com

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
...I must admit to being rather dubious of anyone who charges for these types of things.

As much as the Bible tends to set people off here:

Matthew 10:8 "...freely you have received. Freely give"

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I am torn, half of me thinks she is pretty great and other other half thinks she is a fraud. I have read a few of her books and have seen her on tv. She is the one who got me talking to my spirit guide.
With every thing else you can find fault and things wrong.

I like to think she means well.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Is the reason why the psychic phenomena is under so much scrutiny because of people like her?

Only partly. Mostly, I think, they are used and abused by sceptics to provide "overwhelming evidence" against paranormal phenomena. They point to people like her and then conclude - or (mis)lead people to the conclusion - that the phenomenon itself is bunk.

But she is definitely the most notorious of all the "psychics".
She should be very ashamed of herself.
Why do people still believe in her?
I am surprised that ANYONE ever believed in her. Her methods are very transparent.
Those who do believe in her, I think, it must be mostly because of the time and energy they had invested in the belief that she does communicate with the departed.
If they reject her, then they would have to reject the comforting "certitude" she had given them.

I think the irony of it all is that the "other side", while very individualised, is likely much more glorious than Sylvia could even imagine, let alone tell people about it.

P.S. Oh right, you asked about other such scammers. I have only seen (on the TV, of course) James van Praagh, that English lady (Rosemary Althea or Altea, I think?), and John Edward. They were all interviewed by Larry King, a long time ago.
I am not sure about Edward, but I suspect he is sort of fraudish... And Van Praagh, too.
In my family, we used to watch those Larry King interviews regardless of the hour (they were shown around 3-4 A.M. in Europe) because the next day we would have such a hearty laugh over them, especially Sylvia.
But those poor callers inquiring after their loved ones spoiled the fun for us... (:

[edit on 28-9-2008 by AdAstra]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I believe she is probably a con. I don't think all psychics are cons though. Some have even attempted to take the "million dollar challenge" raised by a famous skeptic, who has turned them down. It is interesting to see how both sides seem in it for attention and money, fake psychics, hardcore skeptics, and maybe some real psychics are in on it too. If someone really has a power worth seven hundred dollars to read your future I'd be willing to guess said person would learn quickly how stupid it would be to put that in the open, and I think while some would shy away from it others would secretly use it to advance in life, however they may see fit.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

A star from me.

Such a fraud, in my opinion.

Remember how she got her wide behind handed to her on C2C?

And on CNN?

It's one thing to go around writing horoscopes or reading palms, but entirely reprehensible to falsely claim someone's loved one is dead.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Wow. That was mean-spirited of Sylvia Brown.

So she contradicts herself. She says she loves everyone but she says she knew those miners died.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by asmeone2

Wow. That was mean-spirited of Sylvia Brown.

So she contradicts herself. She says she loves everyone but she says she knew those miners died.

And I can't even imagine how horrible the families felt because of her--their pain was utterly needless.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Oh man you wasted your money on her book, and spent your time and energy to come to the understanding she was a scam???
Looks like she already got you, and so many others! She has already taken from you what she wanted and moved onto the next vitcum.

Time after time I come into these threads and give my warnings about this quack!
Its a shame that she is empowered by this notion of wonderment!

People try to give her the benifet of the doubt, and they do research and try their best to see if what she says is real..

You see she preys upon your hopes and dreams.. And once you have learned she is nothing but a fraud its to late!!! She has already consumed that small part of you and is replaced by another one..

I happen to try to see the best of people.. And yes.. I once befell into the same energy trap as you once did.
But its your job now as you are doing to make sure more dont fall into her web!!

She is a spider. her totem energy is that of an insect! The one who devours! A pest! And she is proclaimed threw TV, and her books.

And more and more people fall into her web everyday..
As more and more people are having a tuff time threw this life, and just want some magical answer. And This Brown stain can claim what ever she wants.. But I dont see how she can look at her haggard face in the mirror..
When I see that woman.. I want to barf!!! and its more of an energy thing presay her bad looks..
She looks like an old evil HAG!!! Not to mention her energy is not soothing to me.. And its my point of veiw..
Feel what you wish! But we here on onto Brown deeply.

The vibe here on ATS is that she is

I would love to find a true beliver.. and have an outright Debate with them on Brown.
Im waiting.. So if you are true to feeling she is for good, and she is 100% right please let me know.. I will make arrangments to set up a debate!

Ive been waiting for this one, and would be happy to fight for justice on this topic!!

Thanks OP for comming around.. And no worries, I did the research and reading too.. but didnt take long before I knew I was duped!

Her book..
Mystical Traveler: How to Advance to a Higher Level of Spirituality
Should be more like.. How Brown advances to a higher level of material things! While you are left sitting there empty. And have 20$ less in your pocket! Not to mention you will never get that time back that you spent.
I went over this before in my post.. But she just stole YOUR energy!
SHE TOOK a part of you and helped herself to a higher level here!

She works a dark magic.. and is one of the higher standing Queens of manipulation in this world.. Watch out!

And on a level at who I am I fight VS this HAG! Shes not a witch, or a medium.. She is a VAMPIRE HAG!!! who uses illusions, and mindcontrol to feed off her prey.
She might not be human either... But dont quote me on that one. Sure her body is human, her mind is human, but her energy is NOT !
This goes beyond our 5 sense world.. I will not explain any further.
If you wish to know more U2 me.. As what I have to say would only strenghten her in to many ways that I would want to some.. while others it would leave her exposed and helpless.. Where is Antar when I need her?
She will understand what Im saying!! Im going to focus on Antar.. And she will show up in this thread later by chance.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
not sure about sylvia as ive never seen or heard her, but here in the UK one of the famous spiritualist type guys is a derek akora (not sure how thats spelt thats how it sounds) hes on radio a lot and in a tv prog most haunted. he destroyed any belief i had in these people when i listened in too one of his radio shows, it went something like this: hi there caller, i see some spirits appearing around you, i think maybe family that have past away, have you lost anyone recently?

no i havent lost anyone for a long time

ok so they must be ansestors then, wait someones saying something, its john, someone called john, you knew someone called john?

no ive never knew anyone called john whos died

ah i see theyre telling me they are not john, john is someone you need to look out for in the future, they'll be important to you
anyway caller thanks for callin weve a lot of people to get through tonight

well im afraid that put me right off now my first thought is that they are all scam artists , hopefully one day ill be proven wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Fraudulent people dissapoint me. Being a person who has had dreams come true, and struggling for years to understand it, it frustrates me that clown shows scam and lie discrediting that this type of phenomena occurs.

The good news is, despite the scammers, people abroad will continue to have dreams come true, spontaneous out-of-body experiences and intuition, hopefully science and technology one day can advance our understanding of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

She hasn't taken that "small part of me" yet. I realize she's a scam but I do think that the psychic phenomena and the mystical phenomena still is real.

You don't need to worry about me... I haven't spiraled down into that "i need to find out what she's doing is true or not" phase yet I know that what she says is completely false.

The way I judge her is that she has a temperment about her that leads her to believe what she believes so blindly that she is so manipulative of other people to try to get them to understand her truth. She wants to force her truth onto other people.

I know that there is a psychic phenomena and a mystical phenomena but I'm going to be looking for credible people's research within the parapsychology field.

It looks like Sylvia Brown got wind of the fact that everyone is psychic and wanted to make money off of it and convert people to Christianity.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Remember the only true and sincere teacher of all things is the one that lays deep within your own understanding.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70
Remember the only true and sincere teacher of all things is the one that lays deep within your own understanding.

She preys on the people who are greiving, and forget that because of their sadness. Disgusting.

BTW, I like your falcon!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That miner debacle on C2C convinced me that she is definitely a fraud.

I had my doubts about her before that happened.

In ancient times they killed a so-called prophet if he/she missed once because they knew if it was truly from God then it would not be wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabisquit
That miner debacle on C2C convinced me that she is definitely a fraud.

I had my doubts about her before that happened.

In ancient times they killed a so-called prophet if he/she missed once because they knew if it was truly from God then it would not be wrong.

I suppose that's the downside in living in modern times.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by zysin5

She hasn't taken that "small part of me" yet. I realize she's a scam but I do think that the psychic phenomena and the mystical phenomena still is real.

Who am I to tell you what she and didnt take from you on another plane that you can not see touch or taste. I just know that our 5 sense world only allow us so much information. And Im glad to see everyone on the up and up. And wanting to more, and still having faith in what is out there. Because it is out there! And it lays dormant within us ALL!
Everyone one of us have this within us! Brown just puts to much self importance upon herself! And that is a dark path.
I wish you luck on your path. As what I know is for me only. I do not share my occult knowledge with others, and its a personal and up lifting exp. Everyone must come to terms with it in their own time!
And no hand should ever force or try to explain something this deep.
The human lang. does not have the words for this yet.
But someday we will. When we learn magic and the unknown is nothing more than highly advanced technology! Magic is a word people use for something we dont understand the base root of.

Like a mage who would hurl a fireball from his hands! It must be magic!
But the mage knows differently.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have only my own personal experience and opinion of here based on that. My friend convinced me to read one of her books, which I got from the library. I can only describe what happened in terms of a term that just came to me, "runners". I developed a very bad headache that began on Friday, through the entire weekend, this was when my son was an infant. He was asleep in the playpen in the living room while I was trying to read some more from the book. I can't really describe what I felt, but I saw a dark shadow move quickly to his playpen and the words slid into my head, that my son belonged to him. I took him to his room, and prayed for us. When I woke up I knew I had to drop the book off at the library. Note, I am not a fundamental religious person, and at best could be describe as a new age Christian free thinker who prefers a personal gnostic seeking of God than any authoritarian rigid dogmas. But I promptly dropped the book off at the library and didn't need any more pain medicine, the headache was gone. I talked to my friend, but she wouldn't listen. Then another friend told me that what I had experienced was akin to what her Celtic training (?) has taught her, that these were runners. This would imply that Sylvia was too wide open and not discriminating about her sources.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm going to believe everything thing you've just stated is absolutely correct!

The sad thing that does exist, Sylvia Browne & many others of her kind. She & the others work for a dark side...whatever you want to call it. They are vampires & love to feed off life/humankind.

I had a friend, zysin5, I want to say very similar to you...& I miss him.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by REVOLUTION_!1!1]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join