It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$ Want to make a bob and get prepeared.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hi everyone I am after being woke up by YT and finding ATS I decided to get an account I got some monopoly money and want to spend it wisely and quick I have been checking
REI
CAMPMOR
bestglide

any gear suggestions are welcome thanks.

Also should I have stuff shipped to a PO box or my place?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Welcome SK,

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US I'd suggest stopping by a local wal-mart. Most of the stuff you may need can be found cheaply and easily in the sporting goods section. It's much cheaper than REI, etc...

I'm not saying that REI and others aren't any good, just that they are more of a "couture" type of store for campers and outdoor sports enthusiast than they are a storehouse of goods for the average Joe with higher-end goods that are no better or worse than Wal-mart.

If you are just starting out I'd suggest picking up a multitude of supplies. People on ATS will tell you to get guns and cool Navy SEAL knives and GPS and all that crap but in reality that stuff will do you very little good if you don't have the basics.

I'm going to assume you ARE in the US just because that's what I know since I've never had to buy survival supplies at the local ASDA during my time in the UK. That being the case I'd buy matches, lots of matches. Don't listen to people saying get a flint and steel or a fire piston, at least not yet. When you are just starting out think practical not expensive. A pack of 200+ matches can be bought for what, like a buck? A fire piston, if not made yourself, can cost up to 200 bucks! Then you need to "train" yourself to use a flint and steel or fire piston effectively. When buying matches try to get the "strike anywhere" variety if at all possible. Any type of matches would suffice as long as you keep the striking surface on the pack dry or you could just buy some really fine grit sandpaper, either way.

Next, if you go to the camping section of wal-mart you can buy a ton of waterproof containers and they even make a match container that is waterproof. All of these containers are relatively cheap also, from 2 bucks to 20 bucks.

You can also pick up a pack of "Potable Aqua" or "Potable Agua" tablets in the same section for a buck or so. These are your run of the mill water purification tablets. Granted they aren't as long lasting as a Brita Filter or a purifying straw but they are cheap and small so you can buy a ton of them and stash them in a corner of your B.O.B.

Pretty much anything else in that section of the store is pretty self explanatory. If you think you'll need it, get it. They sell emergency radios and flashlights that run on crank power which could come in handy if your maglight and boombox run out of juice...lol They also have compasses and other navigation supplies that could be useful if you have a map of the area you are bugging out to.

Which brings up another point. Anything you buy is useless unless you know how to use it. I'd suggest finding a local group or teacher who can show you how to navigate with a compass and map or even just basic survival skills in the woods. A first aid class couldn't hurt either. Heck, even just paying to go through EMT training, either basic, intermediate or Paramedic could be useful and if you get your National Registry then you can even work on the weekends as an EMT and make extra cash to fund your new survival Hobby!...lol

Well, I'm running out of room, so I'll close up my ramblings in my next post, see you in a sec!

--Apex

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Are you in need of an extreme survival pack?

Becuase you have come to the right place.

There are Anti radiation pills that you can buy, i would get some of these, as nuclear blasts, may not kill you but radiation can 'stick' to you.
I also read that it can be washed off te body in a lond thorough shower.

you need a cool Navy seal knife, and Gps(not much good withought electricity)

Basic thing are best,

-2 compasses.
-any knife will do if you dont have a survival one, even a 10 quidsurvival knife is good, dont spend 100s on a sharp peice of metal.
Rope
-about 5 plastic bottles. You can squash them and put the caps on with no breakage
-A 10 quid tent is good enough
And you can use Bed sheets if you dont have a tent(seriously)
If they tensed, they wont drip rain on your head.
-A gun and ammo if you have one,

[edit on 28-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Alright, I figured I'll talk a little more about my B.O.B. Hopefully you'll find some useful stuff and advice and you'll be able to get rid of the crap you don't like or feel you'll need. That's the main thing about a Bugout kit, it needs to work for you. For example, I have two hand axes and two machetes. You may not need either or at least not two of each. My thinking behind it is that I'm not going to be alone if or when I need to get the hell out of dodge (even though I don't actually live in dodge or drive one for that matter...lol) so my thinking was that it would be better to have extra for two reasons. One, two people can do twice the work in the same amount of time if they have the same equipment vice having to trade off every so often. Secondly, I also thought it would be good to have a back up in case I get careless and lose or break one I always have another.

I also bought a 5 piece mess kit. It's the basic aluminum variety with a bowl, pan, etc... It's a nifty piece of kit to have because sometimes charbroiled meat gets old when you are cooking over an open fire. Also, it's a little more sanitary than eating off of a twig...lol

Chemlites, ( or chemwads or cuyalume sticks) are probably a decent buy too. You can get these at wal-mart but I'd suggest getting them at a military surplus store because they are cheaper and you can buy in "bulk." These come in handy if you are in an emergency situation and not necessarily a true bug out situation. They provide light for up to 8-12 hours, sometimes longer, that creates no heat and won't go out on you because the batteries die. They also make battery powered ones that are good in a pinch, but then you are reliant on batteries that may only be available for a short time if the situation you are in is a total collapse of civilization. The chemlites can be used to signal rescuers, marking your campsite or trail, etc...

Now to the hinky stuff. Not everyone is going to agree with me on the next few points, or maybe even my entire post(s) for that matter, but like I said, these are just my opinions.

Knives... Every man needs a pocket knife, no matter if you are bugging out or just hanging out. I'd suggest buying at least one good folder that you feel comfortable with and is within your price range and made by a good manufacturer. I'd also suggest picking up a handful of cheap ones too. Back to Wal-mart. They have folders for 99 cents. Better to use the cheap ones for blade dulling work than your good one, but you'll always have your good one in a pinch. The reason to use the cheap ones for the crap work is what my dive instructor told me:"when you are 200 feet below the surface and you drop your knife and it sinks beyond your dive range would you rather drop your $400 blade or your $10 blade?" Makes sense don't it?

Now for guns. Assuming you'd like one you need to buy within your price range, comfort level, and purpose. Just like the knife, no need to buy a Desert Eagle when a 150 dollar Taurus would work. Also, get training. Learn how to fire safely and effectively. Figure out what you need one for, protection? from whom? people? Bears? If you buy a pistol, buy one with a common caliber, 9mm, .45 mag, etc... Rifles? Buy something small, .30 cal carbine, AR-15, 30-30...no use in getting a .50cal barrett unless you've had sniper training...lol, shotguns are easy, 20 or 12 gauge, no problem. No goose guns needed, you aren't a pilgrim you don't need a musket.

Well, I'm gonna stop rambling for now, this is the most I've written on ATS EVER!!! Other posters here will have differing opinions and will agree or disagree with me, just remember that it's up to you and your location. Let me know if you want me to expound on anything or debate the use or disuse of certain equipment. I'm gonna check my inventory and get you a full list of what I have just so you can look over and maybe see something you may not have remembered.

--Apex

P.S. feel free to U2U me if you need to.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus

you need a cool Navy seal knife, and Gps(not much good withought electricity)

Basic thing are best,

-2 compasses.
-any knife will do if you dont have a survival one, even a 10 quidsurvival knife is good, dont spend 100s on a sharp peice of metal.
Rope
-about 5 plastic bottles. You can squash them and put the caps on with no breakage
-A 10 quid tent is good enough
And you can use Bed sheets if you dont have a tent(seriously)
If they tensed, they wont drip rain on your head.
-A gun and ammo if you have one,

[edit on 28-9-2008 by monkeybus]

You are right, 10 quid (20 bucks to us Balmy Yanks) is about all you need to spend on any piece of kit with the exception of certain items... I'm sure a 10 quid gun is either too much trouble legally....lol or not very reliable. That's why I'd suggest to anyone not to go to REI, Gander Mountain etc unless there is something you just can't get anywhere else or if there is something there you feel you just can't live without (that lends to morale which is important too.)

--Apex

new topics

top topics

join