It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban in secret talks to end war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Taliban in secret talks to end war

www.news.com.au

TALIBAN leaders have reportedly been in secret talks about ending the Afghan war in a peace process sponsored by Saudi Arabia and supported by Britain.

The unprecedented negotiations involve a senior former Taliban member acting as a go-between, according to the Observer newspaper.

He has been travelling between the Afghan capital Kabul, Saudi Arabia and European capitals, and the bases of the Taliban senior leadership in Pakistan.

The Taliban are understood to have submitted a list of 11 conditions for ending hostilities, which include demands to be allowed to run key ministries and a programmed withdrawal of Western troops.

The go-between has spent weeks ferrying lists of demands and counter-demands between parties. He has visited London to speak to Foreign Office and MI6 personnel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I really don't know what to take on this at the moment. It feels like this is just a show and won't get anywhere if the US government has anything to say. Hope other peoples comments are better than mine.

*SNIP*

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-9-2008 by nahsik]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
it annoys me the fact that it can have so many views on this thread and not even one single reply.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Looking from here, it appears that if the Taliban 'surrenders' with the things they want, Afghanistan will go back to what it was prior to the war.

A Taliban signature on a document is worth less than the papers Yassar Arafat signed and he wasn't worth much.

A signing, photo ops, smiles all around, perhaps a Nobel Peace Prize and it's back to business as usual.

Strikes me as well that if the Taliban are looking for a peaceful exit to the war, they're realizing they are losing.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The Taliban rule Afghanistan period and Nato has no option but to leave. Children won't be raped any more and afghans can go back to planting normal crops. Damn the CIA was making a killing with all that opium......Nato is about to collapse it should do so outside Afghanistan.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If its such a secret meeting, then how did a reporter get their hands on it?

If you were to ask Taliban members, they'd probably tell you there isn't enough organization to even think of starting talks. Nobody at the top, and nobody ordered to obey. They think of it more as a movement, than an organization now.

So if there are a few out there who want to speak for the Taliban, I get the impression the rest of the group isn't going to listen, because they simply don't know if it was actually one of their own making the deals.

They used to have an organizational structure... but I get the feeling it's more of a collective organization of neighbors now, fueled by anger, with one objective, get the westerners out of Afghanistan, or die trying.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The Devil is in the details. It didn't seem like the Taliban were interested in multi party rule while they were in power. I would not have expected them to change.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust ANYONE from the Taliban any further than I ould throw one. Members of fanatical religions, be it Isalm or Christian, cannot be trusted. They will lie cheat and steal, all in the name of "God," and believe they are right in doing so.
I am a peace loving individual, and would love nothing better than to see every war on this planet(and in the Universe) end today. But it ain't gonna happen. The only way to stop the Isalmo-facisists is to eradicate them. At that point, we will be accused of causing a holocaust just like Hitler.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I say continue to hunt them down and kill them until there aren't any left to kill.

You can't deal with those tools. We need to learn from history and an easy look is at the Israeli-Hamas interaction. They negotiate a cease fire or peace deal that gives them enough room to breathe, recruit and rearm and then it's game on again. It will be no different with the Taliban. They know we'll abide by the rules, and we know they won't,..so what is the point. Keep hunting the f**kers until they're gone. It's the only way.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I wouldn't trust ANYONE from the Taliban any further than I ould throw one. Members of fanatical religions, be it Isalm or Christian, cannot be trusted. They will lie cheat and steal, all in the name of "God," and believe they are right in doing so.

I think you're thinking more of Al-Qaeda. The Taliban is more of a group of Nationalist Fanatics... the Taliban was originally intended to repress external expansion into their territory from other countries. While some members may use religion as a justification, their fundamental purpose is Nationalism based.

Al-Qaeda... now THEY are certainly designated as religiously nuts... but then again, they really don't rank much lower than the Christian Crusaders back in the day...

... but god will understand if we have to kill other religions off to spread his divine word.

... pffffft. Almost had ya there didn't I?
If you didn't detect the sarcasm, you probably haven't met me before, or my views on religion...

Can't wait till the religions of the world finally fizzle out... perhaps then we can start working towards improving mankind as a whole, instead of just one religion.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I don't see how this will make a difference.

I thought the Taliban was allied with Al-quaeda. If the Taliban engaged in peace-talks that would have no influence on Al-quaeda's actions.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I think you're thinking more of Al-Qaeda. The Taliban is more of a group of Nationalist Fanatics... the Taliban was originally intended to repress external expansion into their territory from other countries. While some members may use religion as a justification, their fundamental purpose is Nationalism based.

Al-Qaeda... now THEY are certainly designated as religiously nuts... but then again, they really don't rank much lower than the Christian Crusaders back in the day...

I think you're being very generous with your description of the Taliban. Wasn't it the Taliban that dynamited the Buddhas of Bamyan? Something about them contravening Sharia? Isn't the Taliban's frankly shocking treatment of women in relation to expression of Sharia?

I'm interested in what these "key ministries" are. I can imagine things like the "department on crimes against women" disappearing over-night with the Taliban taking control of "key ministries".

[edit on 30-9-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
To Merriman Weir

This shows your little understanding of the World, the Taliban blew the Bamiyan statues because the World through UNESCO was sending millions of dollars to preserve the statues and when the Taliban stated to them to just please give a VERY SMALL amount of money to the poor women and children living near Bamiyan, the World shunned away. So if you do not care about Afghanistan's future or its people, and only care about the materials, so the Taliban destroyed the statues, with a little help from US allies Pakistan and Saudia Engineers. And remember, To steer far away from Materialism, its what got us in this "NWO" and "Economic Crisis" in the first place, anyway.

In regards to Women treatment, start reading abit more, Women buy Niqabs and Burqas with Higher sales after the Invasion and establishment of Karzai. Then off course, being a typical person with no knowledge your going to mention the woman shot in the head in the stadium. First of all that woman killed her husband and slept with her son, so the family of the women told the Taliban that we are going to stone her, but the Taliban made it a public execution for anyone who dares kill their husbands and sleeps with their children.

Then off course your going to Youtube away and find another video, and the woman getting beaten with a stick in the streets of Kabul for revealing herself. Well, in FACT that woman was being beaten by her family relative, not a Talib, and if you saw the FULL footage, you see a Talib approach the man and push him away...

Department of crimes against women? Sorry pal, i rather have my wife covered then to have her used as a corporate slave to reveal herself for every man to see...

And btw, i am Athiest, not a Muslim.

I DO NOT SUPPORT RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE TALIBAN

Maybe you should read about Mike Hoover a CBS Journalist who went to Afghanistan during the Taliban era, and hoped hat the US Officials would come close to how they live...

The above are logical reasons because i study before i speak, maybe you should to, Now i will wait until you respond...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join