It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama/Jill Biden Interview: I Love You!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Here is what most people would view as a social kiss on the cheek, notice the body language; eyes are open and bodies are NOT up close and personal.

This photo is a LOT more intimate (and let's remember he also kissed her square on the lips at the DNC). Again notice the body language, she touches his head and pulls him in. Notice the full body contact between Michelle and Joe. I for one would NOT press my chest up against a man I hardly knew (platonically) and I do not believe for ONE moment that Michelle makes a habit of it either.

For the record I do NOT think they are having any sort of sexual affair, but I DO think they are being very touchy feeling for the benefit of the cameras and they are trying to make some sort of point.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I don't think it's a big deal with friends. But friends or not, I think it really strange to ever do it in a quasi-professional context in public. I don't get that at all.

Incidentally, sex has nothing to do with it.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just Curious.

What point do you think they're trying to make?
What are they trying to tell the American people if it's "all for show"?
If it's not about sex, then what is it about?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Maybe it is all about sex.

Some weird-hiding-in-plain-sight-kinda-thing.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Just Curious.
What point do you think they're trying to make?
What are they trying to tell the American people if it's "all for show"?
If it's not about sex, then what is it about?

I think the answer is pretty obvious! Obama MUST win more of the white vote, and he is struggling in some areas, particularly among working class white voters and yes race does play a factor (shocking but true!). Add in the Bradley Effect and that means Obama should be 5% ahead of McCain in the polls to pull off any kind of win.

I think the pictures and the attempt to portray Michelle and Jill as instant “best friends forever” is an attempt to show how close the Obama’s are to their new white friends! Super close! Just like family! Hugs and kisses and “I Love You’s!” abound after just a few days! They are such great friends that even if they are only separated for a few minutes on the campaign trail they miss eachother so darn much they need a round of hugs and kisses the moment they are reunited!

Now I realize Benevolent that you most likely think they just happened to “click” in an amazing way and you would probably say you can’t believe there would be a political motive to such an unusually “close” friendship". Not a reason in the world!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I actually CAN believe that there might be a political reason for it. I'm not going to assume that there is, but it's certainly possible.

I never in a million years would have guessed the reason that you're suspicious of it, though! Their race never occurred to me. So, it was not "obvious" at all to me.

That's pretty sad...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Damn, people of the 21st century can't tell the difference between affection and sexuality? Most of the world is OK with this. If I haven't seen a friend in a while(male or female), they're getting a hug at the least. Doesn't mean I want to get in their pants. Just a jesture that they've been missed.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticThat's pretty sad...

Sad that you didn't think of that possibility? There are a ton of articles constantly analyzing the race vote factor, the necessity of winning illusive white voters, the percentage of white voters that have worries regarding race. I guess you never read those articles? Even the Huffington Post has articles on the topic. I don't know how the issue could NOT occur to someone that is closely following this election.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
There are a ton of articles constantly analyzing the race vote factor, the necessity of winning illusive white voters, the percentage of white voters that have worries regarding race.

And this picture:

...is going to allay their fears? I would think it would be the opposite.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Damn, people of the 21st century can't tell the difference between affection and sexuality? Most of the world is OK with this. If I haven't seen a friend in a while(male or female), they're getting a hug at the least. Doesn't mean I want to get in their pants. Just a jesture that they've been missed.

No one here is saying it is sexual, many have said it is weird.

Why is it people keep saying "well i hug my friends" and pretend its the same thing? How many friends have you kissed on the MOUTH recently Intrepid? In a non-sexual way? Benevolent and Arial apparently kiss a lot of their same sex friends on the mouth, however they appear to be in the minority.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

How many friends have you kissed on the MOUTH recently Intrepid? In a non-sexual way?

Recently? One. My nephew by marriage. We share a lot in common and haven't seen each other in a while. Couldn't be sexual, neither of us are gay.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Recently? One. My nephew by marriage. We share a lot in common and haven't seen each other in a while. Couldn't be sexual, neither of us are gay.

I just noticed you are in Canda. Are you french? I realize different cultures have different customs, but among Americans kissing adults on the mouth, particularly same sex adults, is really not a common practice.

In business it could be grounds for a lawsuit, and that is another question, since Obama selected Biden as his running mate doesn't that make Obama his employer in a sense? Taking liberties with your employees wife, when your employee is NOT in a position to object, as he could lose his position, seems like it could be an issue.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I just noticed you are in Canda. Are you french? I realize different cultures have different customs, but among Americans kissing adults on the mouth, particularly same sex adults, is really not a common practice.

Nope, not French. My paternal grandmother was though. Didn't know her well.

In business it could be grounds for a lawsuit, and that is another question, since Obama selected Biden as his running mate doesn't that make Obama his employer in a sense? Taking liberties with your employees wife, when your employee is NOT in a position to object, as he could lose his position, seems like it could be an issue.

That's really reaching. What liberties? Biden was there. After he kissed her did he whisper, "Ditch the old dude, you and me babe"?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I think the pictures and the attempt to portray Michelle and Jill as instant “best friends forever” is an attempt to show how close the Obama’s are to their new white friends! Super close! Just like family! Hugs and kisses and “I Love You’s!” abound after just a few days! ...

wow - what kind of bizarre Rorschach test is this?

pretty interesting - how different people's ideas are on what's too close/not close enough

I come from a family that's half Italian - enough said

the other half is a mix of Slavs - but, still affectionate

I've had Mexican friends, Russian friends, Arab friends - all extremely physical in their demonstration of affection - even in platonic friendships

this isn't about race - it's about culture - and what you grew up with

I can see how easy it is to be cynical - but it's within the realm of possibility that they actually like each other - a lot

these candidates are currently in a high stress, high drama situation - and they are comrades in arms - with a shared ideology/philosophy - and for better or worse they're in this together

it makes for rapid bonding

you don't have to agree with them politically - but it seems odd to criticize them for displays of affection

you may never have bonded with anyone that fast - or in such a direct physical way - but I have - and it wasn't for show

and if you're really watching for body language - look at those pics again - that looks for real to me

is this what it's come to in this country? really?

or am I missing your point?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I don't buy that explanation. I'm not that suspicious of it because Obama is half White. Maybe the racists and those who call him Muslim and bash his Christian pastor need convincing, but I doubt PDA would go a long way towards winning their votes.

The Obamas and the Bidens are probably genuinely getting on well with one another. Given what they face should Barack and Joe win, their solidarity should be established before taking office, not after.

Let's face it, there's not a whole lot of Black people in Congress. And even if it were a ploy, I don't have a problem with it. Folks should see more of that and understand that it is okay.

I certainly don't think that the Bidens and Obamas are faking it, even if they are putting on a show.

Besides, I'm sure McCain would love to lock lips with Palin in public. Problem is, it might cause a scandal of the sexual sort.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Everything at these events is VERY carefully choreographed. Sure the candidates (and their wives) occasionally slip up and say something stupid, but everything is as carefully planned out as possible.

How the stage looks, what they wear, the nice diverse crowd sitting behind them, all of it is thought out! These are not just "average joe's" meeting their close friends for a sunday barbeque, or greeting each other at a local bar after a few beers.

IT IS ALL planned in detail as much as humanly possible! It is all planned for EFFECT. Even if these people really ARE great, close, kissing buddies, the fact they do it on STAGE is still intentional! The fact at least some of us think it is WEIRD and surely they know that makes it even more intentional!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I have to agree - it is all very carefully planned - and staged

but I think this is where it gets truly weird -

the public forgets that these are actual human beings

this goes for all sides - all parties - from every conceivable angle

we have stopped considering that our leaders are merely human - they become either saint-like crusaders - or demons - depending on what we want or need the most

or depending on what we love or fear the most

depending on our most personal points of view

we over analyze everything - to the point of not being able to see anything

if I had never heard anyone mention the hugging and kissing and I-love-yous - I would never have thought twice about it

not because I'm naive and just don't see how weird it is - but, because to me it's not even noteworthy

but, that doesn't mean it's not strange

obviously other people see it as being as weird as you do

but that doesn't mean it is strange

at what point in any of this - in any campaign - would anyone be allowed for one second to be genuine?

it can't happen - perception rules the day in all this

edit to add: this is why - rhetoric is meaningless - speeches are meaningless - the only thing of substance that we have to go on is the candidates record - how they vote - or don't vote

[edit on 9/29/2008 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
at what point in any of this - in any campaign - would anyone be allowed for one second to be genuine?

I would say it is best to keep unusual forms of "genuineness" off the world stage if you don't want your actions to be analyzed. I am honestly surprised more people have NOT brought it up. Actually I was unaware of all this stuff until I saw that interview, and then it appeared to be a pattern.

They analyze public opinion all day long to spin their every comment for maximum appeal. When they choose to engage in what many would consider "unconventional" behavior on stage knowing full well that tens of millions of people are watching their every move it is not just being "genuine".

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

would your point be that you find it offensive?

or just that you think it's disingenuous?

I'm sure many would agree with you - and just as many would disagree

we can't really come to a conclusion about that here - or anywhere :-)

I think I'm just not understanding your point

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
would your point be that you find it offensive?
or just that you think it's disingenuous?

I don't find it offensive, I find it odd. Well, and also annoying because it seems to be pandering and very fake in my eyes.

I also wonder why this topic is not being discussed anywhere? Why isn't SNL doing parodies of this? God knows lots of things are analyzed to a ridiculous degree (both SNL and the New York Post both came up with satire regarding a rumored incestuous relationship involving another VP running mate) yet something like this is NOT discussed?

Now THAT is a bit odd.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join