It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pain Barrier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fillet ask a
reply to post by Amaterasu

I agree. Physical pain is nothing to me, as above.

Mental pain is the problem.

Conditioning yourself for the unknown is one way, but like Wotan said, adrenalin will take care of the fight or flight situation for you.

Don't worry about it, the human body is pretty tough when it needs to be.

Ah. Mental pain. Well, I learned something from Choice Theory (Dr. William Glasser)... If you are in mental pain, you are choosing it.

People say, "You hurt me by saying that!" In reality, the one saying that has chosen to feel hurt. Though we cannot control our emotions directly, we CAN control them by controlling what we think about and how we are thinking about it.

For example, one might hear something and think, That person doesn't like me. And then... They may say, "You hurt me by saying that!" Or...

They can hear it, feel the pain momentarily (for there is about 2 seconds in which there is no control, but only reaction), but then think, Maybe they don't like me, but even if they don't, I don't care. I can just move on. They may ask, "Why do you say it THAT way?" or, "What gave you that idea?" And so on.

So when one is in mental anguish, one may ask oneself, Why am I choosing to think about this this way? Or, simply, Why am I choosing to think about this?

From that point, one can think about something else, or find a more comforting way of thinking about the issue at hand.

An issue is chemical addiction... Many depressives, for example, are addicted to the chemicals depression produces. But, by always asking oneself WHY one is CHOOSING to feel (by choosing one's thoughts) a given mental pain, one will gain greater control.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

That's a very good post.

You have given me a few things to think about there.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I'll second that, very good post mate. Lots of interesting ideas to think about, I have heard about choice theory before and think its quite useful, definately an effective way of overcoming certain things.

Going to go now and read up more about it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Most welcome, both of you.

I know when I start to feel depressed, it is AMAZING how quickly I recover when I ask myself, Why am I choosing to depress?

Sometimes I get answers (like, my daughter is 3000 miles away and I can't get her back yet, as I have no money... And then I can start thinking about the fact that she is being fed organic whole foods, going to a school with an emphasis on math and science (when she was 4 she looked at me and said, "Mommy, math is EASY!"), and is loved and cared for; the depression lifts), and sometimes I don't get an answer, but instead, the depression lifts anyway.

It is an awesome tool to take responsibility, fully and wholeheartedly, for one's own behavior. Most will say, "You made me do it!" I say, "I choose to do it, based on your input."

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I've stared your post in the hope others read & understand it.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fillet ask a

Thank you again. [smile]

When I first encountered the theory, I struggled against it, insisting that *I* "had no control over some things!" And, of course, that is true as far as what is outside of me. But I didn't want to take responsibility for what was INside of me. Yet as I thought about it, I came to conclude that taking responsibility was both fully justified AND possible.

When I came to accept that responsibility, I discovered an astonishing freedom. I cannot tell you how freeing it was - but when you reach that point (and you may have already...) you will know exactly what I am speaking of.

Interesting thing... No one has "control" of what is outside of themselves. The best we can hope for is influence. When we pick something up, we are highly influencing the object we pick up... But sometimes our influence falters and the object falls. If we were controlling it, it would never fall.

The ONLY thing we control (if we choose to) is our behavior. Most are taught that others control them (thus comments like "You made me do that..."), which is sad, really. When one is taught that others are in control, one is more readily influenced. And thus... We have the world we live in, with most of the people looking to others to solve their anguish.

Maybe I'll start a thread on this. Please forgive me if I copy and paste... [grin]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Wise words again!

Yes, please start a thread on this.

If it helps just one, then its worth it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join