It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40pc believe others don't belong in Australia - racism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I just don't like when asians bring their gangs here, and Lebanese bash people in the streets for no reason.
Apart from that, whatever. I'm happy.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6

I would happily live without this alleged 'enrichment' if it meant I didn't have to cope with six Asians walking abreast through the city, their raucuus voices screeching, their hair dyed ten different shades, their spitting on our once clean sidewalks, their coughing in crowded places without bothering to cover their mouths. And do they ever work ? Who's supporting these people and their endless offspring? No .. I'm kidding. I know who's supporting them: my heavily taxed family and families like them.

And if that's racist -- too bad.

LOL.... I can't really disagree with that. Actually you'll find that alot of them have money sent over from their families overseas whilst they 'study'. Actually they don't really study they just bludge through it, because just attending a uni here is usually good enough. That's why it appears they don't work.

I know alot about this stuff, i've mostly dated asian girls.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Greetings to all the Aussies on ATS and let me be the first to say, welcome to America! This is exactly what has been happening in the US. Latinos and Indians are amongst the most unwilling to learn the language or be nice to the Average American. Personally Im half Latino and European, I hate when Im at work and Latinos especially those who damn well know how to speak English will speak to me only in spanish expecting a hook up. When I first moved into the Chicago Suburbs it was very peaceful and quiet and full of farm land. Now its little Mexico City. Latino everything everywhere, hobos, hookers, drug dealers and hey they were nice enough to bring their gangs. I was once told "dude you speak english too good... You're a trader to your race and an Oreo. WTF... What pisses me off is white people overall are very accepting of me, hispanics are generally assholes to me and racist as hell because Im half white. Hispanics are allowed to distrust and hate white people but if any white people complain about them not knowing English be prepared for a firestorm. I feel for you guys, nip that S*** in the bud right now, dont let them bring their country to yours. Honestly when Indians say India is the greatest country or Mexicans do the same I say go back... My Grandmother even straight from Mexico says the same.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by themuse
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I agree with all you've said. The issue with immigration lies with the sense of fear that the lack of integration, community contirbution and fear of gang warfare type senarios that you and others mentioned happening bring about.

The question remains what can we do as individuals to better the situation.

To be honest, I'm not sure that we as individuals can do anything due to the old adage: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

If people don't want to integrate then it's genuinely difficult to make them. If an immigrant community is firmly established, then it's possible that they could live and work completely in that small environment without having to mix with the greater community and learn anything but their native language. That's certainly the case where I live with a large network of shops, restaurants, taxi firms &c.

My local council puts in a lot regarding translation and interpretation services but, if the delivery of this provision was scaled down as a means to forcing people's hands and making learning English more essential, then it opens the door to discrimination and rights issues and a right old legal mess.

I personally don't understand it at all. If, for example I went to live in France, I wouldn't dream of going there without some cursory knowledge of the language. In fact, when I went to France for about 5 weeks many years ago, I spent a couple of months crash-coursing language tapes and desperately trying to remember what I'd learned in school. I went everywhere with a dictionary and phrasebook in my pockets!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
To be honest, I don't think us Australians exactly have a strongly defined culture per say.
Which makes it easy to not really..... assimilate into it.

What do we have... beef, footy, beer.....the outback.. kangaroos. I dunno.

I'm probably in trouble now.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by T0by]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
it will keep getting worse and worser until theres a backlash..the credit crunch will force people out of jobs \ homes and unto welfare. people will start to riot to drive out the immigrants that are draining the country.... nacco the forklift making company near where i live are lying off 94 workers none of which are immigrants though last in are doing all the petty work while the skilled workers are given the boot...

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
All those people who have a problem with immigrants no doubt still enjoy a kebab or a nice Chinese takeaway every now and then.

As the article states, it's the older generation that has a problem with non Australians, I guess that's something ingrained from world wars and ignorant parents. The younger generation are much more accepting.

There are plenty of countries that enjoy a Coke or a hamburger, does that mean that I, as an American, have the right to move there, pop out a bunch of kids, and expect their government to support me and my offspring because I can't speak the language or get a decent job? Sheesh if that is the case I need to start applying for visas!

And of course the younger generation is more accepting, if they grow with higher levels of crime and get used to being surrounded by people that do not speak the language and openly look down on them as depraved westerners they grow up thinking IT IS NORMAL!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
omg...why did the media finally get of America's rump.

sorry Australia your next on the "MANS" list apparently.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is this racist?

I don't know.

Just read my post, as I'm being as honest as I can.

I am 23, I contribute to my countries (Australia's) economy. I am one of the most highly qualified 23 year olds I know. That's not saying much, all I do is teach music. When I finish my degree I will teach high school history and music, at the moment, I teach music.

I come from a well off (as far as Australia is concerned) family. Don't get me wrong, we are not influential, but my family has had enough fortune and opportunity for me to make a living teaching young people how to play a trumpet, trombone, tuba, euphonium, flugelhorn, frech horn and etc.

Basically, I teach kids how to play brass, and I play jazz. Not the most lucrative career compared to investment banking or the like which I had the opportunity to go into, but I don't have to cheat families out of there life savings in order to butter my sandwich.

As far as I have been able to garner, and I have researched world history and politics for a long time, Australia and New Zealand have the BEST lifestyle for the average citizen, bar none, other than perhaps Sweden and Switzerland.

I grew up in Queensland, one of Australias least politically and socially advanced states, compared to NSW and Victoria. I do not have any racist inclinations in my person. I will teach your child how to play a trumpet whether they are black, brown, white, yellow, red, purple, green, blue, orange, mauve, lime, pink, etc as long as you can pay me, and I sincerely apologise if I neglected any colours that you might identify yourself with.

Now that I have laid the groundwork, please let me say - I don't want to live under any system that mixes religion with state authority. I went to a highly religious school, because that school was able to afford me a lucrative future, NOT because my parents were religiously inclined for me to go there, believe me, THEY WERE NOT, AND ARE NOT RELIGIOUSLY INDOCTRINATED, in fact, my father is a commited atheist, yet he sent me to a religious school, because it was the best school in my area.

Some areas in my country offer the most successful melting pot of world culture in the entirety of Earth. In fact, Melbourne, the city where I currently reside has been referred to time and again as the most successful multicultural city in the world. This being said, there are certain areas I would not venture into, alone at night, not because I am being politically incorrect, but because I am a REALIST, and am freely willing to admit that there are certain INDIVIDUALS of any given culture who have been indoctrinated to cause trouble for anyone who is not EXACTLY like themselves.

The problem does not reside in the fact that I am white, you are purple. The problem resides in the fact that any INDIVIDUAL might have been indoctrinated by family or cultural tradition to resent people that are different to themselves.

I suppose the simplest way I could state my thesis, is that there are difficult people who are Caucasian, of African descent, Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Communist, Capitalist, Asian, Middle Eastern, pink, purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, WHATEVER someone feels they need to lable themselves as, is a result of their particular social indoctrination, and not a commentary on their social group that they identify themselves as.

I hope that both right wing and left wing people read my post, politically I consider myself a realist and a centrist. As far as I'm concerned, my beliefs are not extremism, they are simply realism.

As I have noted, I am not a left wing individual, however, I STRONGLY believe in the idea that humanity in general will not be able to move forward from our current state of hate filled agendas until people recognise that we are all just HUMAN BEINGS. And there is very little, as far as I am aware that seperates you from me, other than the fact that I spend my time playing a trombone.

All I want is the opportunity to live in peace, raise a family of Fellow Humans, enjoy my SHORT time on this planet, and try and leave this currently messed up planet in a better state than what I found it in. And if this little internet rant helps, or influences just ONE socially indoctrinated INDIVIDUAL, then I have done something today, other than for myself and my own greedy (yes, I am a greedy homo sapien) nature dictates.

May the force be with us all.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Has anyone bothered to ask the aboriginies just what percentage of them oppose immigration to THEIR country? Especially, forced immigration of convicts changing forever their way of life and culture?
Hmmmm... I think I'll have a coon cheese and vegamite sandwich while I let my kids play with their gollywogs...

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
As with every issue, there are faults on both sides. I've seen Aussies openly discriminate against colored immigrants, but have nothing against immigrants from say, Italy. Then again I found certain immigrants refusing to learn English. Both sides should give in a little for the issue to resolve itself. Australia is so short of labor, that if it weren't for the immigrants, many services like the taxi industry would have been buried a long time ago. Immigrants should also realize that they have a good thing going in Australia and should make the extra effort to learn English as quickly as possible and be law abiding citizens in Australia. This is achieved quite easily enough by most immigrants to Australia. However, most do not want to give up, and rightly so, some of their cultural and religious practices for Australian cultural practices. Thus we see less teenage pregnancies, drunkenness, gambling, divorce and suicides in immigrants as compared to Aussies. These are habits that the Aussies can learn from the immigrants. The immigrants can learn ' fair go', cleanliness and hygiene, rule of law etc. from the Aussies. There is much each side can lean from the other - and they better do this in a hurry, before they make the land unlivable for anyone.
As always, there are the bad hats on both sides who create scenes that are blown out of all proportions by the media.
My rule of the thumb for an immigrant is this: forget that you have come from another country, and try to be an Aussie as soon as possible. However, avoid like the plague all Aussie habits which you know can only bring disaster in their wake.
I like living in Australia - it is so much a better place to live in than many other parts of the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Long time reader, first time poster. As an immigrant living in Australia I thought I had to voice my opinion on the whole racism issue.

I find the racism in this country is on two fronts:
1) Older generation Anglo-Aussies (blond hair, blue eyes), who have very racist views but they don't interpret it as racism. I have a non-Australian accent, and have been many times talked down to like I were an uneducated idiot solely on that (and you know they're talking down to you when they slow their speech and ask you if you understand...), despite having 2 undergraduate degrees and a Masters, so I'm no dill.
I don't see this sort of racism in the younger generation (under 35), everyone is just so used to it that they just don't see race anymore.

2) People refuse to leave their old lives/prejudices/culture behind and assimilate to the Australian lifestyle. Nothing wrong with ethnic communities, end of the day you can't just ignore the culture you grew up in, and its a big part of who you are. However, these people isolate themselves from the rest of the community and only associate themselves with their own kind. Things like the Cronulla riots en.wikipedia.org... happened because the two racial groups kept to their own kind, and therefore saw everyone else as an outsider.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Anyone who threatens our culture or way of living should be STOPPED turned around and sent packing! For those who take offence to us wearing swimsuits or what they call offensive clothing/ or not bending over to their cultures or beliefs in general DEFINEATLY shouldn't be here. Aussies are not going to let these BAR$%$DS change our way of life. So in saying that those that can respect our culture DO in return get respect for theirs.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
There should be at least one country in the world that is just white. So what! I said it, I'm not ashamed. There is this thing called political correctness that is just way out of hand.

Why does everyone from the third world want to live in white countries? Why are European countries more successful, more wealthy, more rights & opportunities? WHY?

Can't ask that question can you?

I'm ashamed that the majority of whites have been brainwashed to hate their own kind so much.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BattleofBatoche

australia is not a white country. read our history book.

melbourne where i live is pretty cosmopolitan and apart from the odd wog taunts in my younger years and aussie/wog fights at school, i havent seen much racism at all. no i havent got my shutters on and i'm not ignorant to the fact that of course it exists, i just prob dont take notice in my older years because my friends and family come from all walks of life and have no complaints about living here.

my parents came here and fit in just nicely becasue they HAD too. these days there dosent seem to be the necessity to learn english ect and i'm not quite sure why? its wrong to see diff nationalities congregate to certain cities/areas though we have to ask why this is occuring in the first place?
my parents we're def not made to feel welcome though still made their life here 'amongst' the aussies.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Having grown up in Sydney I fully understand why they say this. In fact I thought the number would have been higher. Multiculturalism is great if it works, but it doesn't. As has been mentioned earlier, many cultures simply dont want to mix. Name a Sydney suburb and I can tell you the race...
Cabramatta = Vietnam
Lakemba = Lebenon
Smithfield = Yugoslavia

In Fact, when you get street sign in Cabramatta in Vietnamese (with english subtitles) and an ANZ (Australia New Zealand) Bank with Large vietnemese writing and small english subtitles you see where the 40% comes from.

I though I should add that even though I feel like a minority group in my own country, I myself am first generation Aussie. I am proud of it, and have a number of friends who are also first or second generation. Granted I 'look' anglo but I am as they called me at school a "White Wog"

[edit on 13/10/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Funny, I was just about to reply when I see this nice merc sports pull in across from me.

Driven by a twenty-something blonde, she sits for a minute talking and laughing with her passenger who she is dropping off. Her friend gets out, a black african woman in her thirties. Smiling, they wave goodbye. That's Australia man.

Bless it or curse it, what you give out you get back that's the universal law.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by undermind]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
40% of Australians is just that.

It doesn't say 40% of WHITE Australians, does it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm sure they didn't knock on the door of nearly half of the anglo population and ask them this question.

Therefore, it's not only WHITE Australians who are supposedly racist.

There are people of various ethnic decents who classify themselves as Australians, who when asked about immigration , are just as staunch in their anti-immigration views of certain people of certain nationalities as WHITE Australians.

So to just jump to the conclusion that is only WHITE Australians who have an anti-immigration viewpoint is ludicrious.

There are many immigrants who have been here a while who also don't like what's going down. Does that make them "racist" because they want a happy , good quality of life existence for themselves and their children and have come to their own conclusions that certain nationalities bring a lot of negative baggage with them that does rub off on the rest on us and create problems?

Can only an immigrant have a view on immigration without being called a racist?

I know many people who have come here and have totally embraced Australia.
They also, like most of us, are protective of our standard of living and general harmonious existence.

Wanting to protect that and also have an opinion about the trouble makers doesn't make anyone a racist.

It just means you have an OPINION.

That's all we have, cause there isn't anything we can do about it anyway.

Besides, Japan, China, Iran are the most racist countries in the world.
I don't exactly see them opening their doors for mass immigration.
Yet no one seems to call them racists.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Multiculturalism was a good idea in theory but flawed in practise. And before I go on, I myself migrated here from Europe when very young, the right way...with a visa, not illegally via boats like some have arrived. And I call myself an Aussie if anybody asks me my nationality or background.....even thou I may not look the typical Anglo-Saxon stereotype, I can tell you I live more like an Aussie than most Anglo-Saxon heritage do. Id fight for this country at the smallest threat from abroad if need be.

Mulitculturalism in Australia was a policy brought in to not only help populate Australia, but to bring in the skilled Labour that Australia was lacking at the time.

Yes, many Greeks, Itralians and Yugoslav's suffered persecution when they arrived here, but just take a look at how well they have assimilated and added to Australian society.

Now, where this 40% of racism comes in, and I myself am Man enought to admit that Im included in that number is when it comes to bringing in Nationalities and Races that do not assimilate no matter what?

The Australian Government when they began mass migration of people here, thought that they would all spread out and mix with each forcing them all to learn English because they couldnt understand each so it'd be a common ground for them, and in some cases it worked. But in the majority it has been a total failure.

Immigration should not have included or allowed to happen the segregation of nationalities into certain suburbs. Thus having a strength in numbers attitude, forcing their way upon the others here.

Like it or not, the majority of white caucasion nationalities assimilate well together. But have a look at the Sudanese here in Australia.....or the Middle Eastern nationalities....all they have brought is crime, conflict, and forcing the local councils to remove bacon from our KFC burgers.....Thats just not on!

You come to this country, to any country and you are a guest. You learn to live by their laws and way of life and aim to add what you can to make the new country of your residence the best that it can be......not to try and make your own small little country out of a suburb here for yourselves.

This is what gets many Australian p i ssed off about certain immigrants.

Some people you just cant tame, no matter what. Flame me if you want but this is how it is here. How it is in many other countries. Take a look at the muslim problem in European countries at the moment....they are rioting because the Turkish immigrants are sgregating into their own little enclaves.

Just wait till the day, and IF, turkey joins the European Union, which it shouldnt, then you'll see race battles through the streets of Europe.

Im surprised that there arent more Race battles on the street of the USA, with all the tensions between Blacks, Hispanic, and Whites.

To conclude, all I got to say is, Im proud of this country and I dont give a sh*t where your from, if you come here and are genuine, honest, work hard and willing to give it a go and make something of yourself, mate, Ill give you a hand

But if you come here, burn my flag, slander my country, its language, its history, its way of life, and try to bring your old world laws into my country, AND TRY AND TAKE THE BACON OUT OF MY BURGERS, then you are gonna receive all the abuse I can dish out to you. Like it or lump it folks!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Just reading the comments here, I'm not surprised with that statistic. The truth is most Australians are just ignorant racists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join