NEWS: Hamas names Two New Leaders; Israel will Target Hamas Leaders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hamas named Abdel Aziz Rantisi as acting leader of the group for the Gaza district. Abdel Aziz Rantisi is a hardcore extremist who does not support any truce with Israel and rejects compromise with Yasser Arafat's Palestinian Authority. He was the target of an Israeli assisination attempt last June.

Hamas also named Khalid Mashaal, the overall leader for the group. He is more of the spiritual leader to fill Yassin's role. Mashaal survived a 1997 Israeli attempt to kill him in Jordan by injecting him with a poisonous drug in a botched daylight attack.

Israel's defense minister stated that Israel will continue to target Hamas leaders. Israeli security chiefs met for five hours late Monday and decided to step up targeted attacks, the security sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity. They said officials decided to go after the entire Hamas leadership without waiting for another attack by the militant group.

Rantisi Named Acting Hamas Chief, an Official in the Group Says
Rantisi will temporarily take over the tasks of Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin, who was assassinated by Israel on Monday, said Ismail Hanieh, a senior official in the Islamic militant group.
Hamas names new leader

It was not immediately clear whether Mashaal, who lives in exile in the Arab world, was assuming the position permanently or on an acting basis until the movement holds a leadership election.
A Hamas source told Reuters that Mashaal had taken over the duties of Yasin, the wheelchair-bound spiritual leader assassinated in an Israeli missile strike in Gaza on Monday.
Israel Says It Will Strike at More Leaders of Militant
Group Behind Suicide Attacks

Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz and his security chiefs decided to try to kill the entire Hamas leadership, without waiting for another terror attack, security sources said Tuesday.
The killing of Yassin threatens to escalate Israel-Palestinian fighting. Fearing revenge, Israel beefed up security throughout the country and at missions abroad.

Related ATSNN and TerrorAnalysis.com Articles:
Hamas Founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin Assassinated
Profile of Terrorist Group Hamas

[Edited on 3-23-2004 by worldwatcher]

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well needles to say, its good to have this murderer gone (Sheik Ahmed Yassin). I am very happy Israel is showing resolve in dealing with Hamas, Islamic Jhihad, and Hezbollah. These groups have stated their sole purpose is the destruction of the state of Israel through killing innocent civilians. Those who agree that that is ok or want to appease these groups are quite deluded and need to do a little more homework. Israel has every right to defend itself from those who wish and plot harm and destruction. In the same right that US has to go after Al Queda and Bin Laden who has stated "it is every good Muslims duty to kill Americans and Israelis". There is no talking to people who are dedicated to your death. There is no partner for peace who is willing to talk it over and cease the violence. Its time for the world to face the truth - world war three has begun. Terrorists are doing what they do best, terrorizing and intimidating other countries to cow tow to their demands out of fear they will be targeted next. For gods sake, thats what the attack in Spain was all about. Install fear into Europe, support for the USA, GB, Australia, Israel, = punishment in the form of bombing of innocent cilivilians. Your brothers and sisters.. Hummmmm - I say scr_w them! Israel has done the right thing by killing the evil Sheik Ahmed Yassin leader of Hamas. The left wing media has done a great injustice to the world by painting these people as spiritual leaders instead of mass murderers over the years. A mask that should have been unveiled long ago. Call a spade a spade. We are not that blind. I commend the Israeli security chiefs for acting decisively in the face of world cowardice. Not only have they said they dont care if the world does not agree, but they have gone public with their own deck of most wanted Islamic fundamentalist leaders targeted for assassination and death. I applaud them for doing what they have too on the front line in the war against terrorism. Now like Al Queda, instead of having 99% of the day to sit back, sip tea, and hash out their next terrorist plot to kill your relatives. They will now have to spend 99% of the day trying to escape being assassinated by the mossad. Whew - getting tough to be a terrorist now and days. Soon they will realize a compromise much be reached and the violence will stop, but not as long a total destruction of the US and Israel are the goals. Until then, unfortunately the people will watch their military leaders die, get replaced, die, and still they live in squaller with no water, power, and food. And for what? Because they cant understand freedom and the right for others to be different culturally then they are. And that other also claim rights to the same land. So they will all need to figure out how to live there together (independent Palestinian state as proposed in the last 4 rounds of peace talks). Nope not good enough for Hamas - they need all of Israel and the only way to end the bombings is for all Jews to pack it up and leave.. Well - at some point reality must kick in. Pushing the jews back into the red sea or bringing down the US - not gonna happen. Move on to the next best thing. If you cant or wont sit down and work out a compromise solution peacefully - prepare to die. It's thier choice and always has been.

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by dreamrebel]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
dreamrebel...do you really think you make such a powerful statement that you had to post it in every terrorist related thread? I don't think so. I won't argue with you..I appreciate and respect your opinion..it is yours, but when you say:

"Until then, unfortunately the people will watch their military leaders die, get replaced, die, and still they live in squaller with no water, power, and food. And for what? Because they cant understand freedom and the right for others to be different culturally then they are."

that is a matter of perspective...Arabs and others can say the same about the US and the West.....why can't "they" understand freedom and the right for others be different culturally than they are.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Your post says: "Hamas, Islamic Jhihad, and Hezbollah. These groups have stated their sole purpose is the destruction of the state of Israel through killing innocent civilians."

Really? What are your sources for that damning statement? Please provide the names, publications, and dates so that others can look and see if there is any validity to what you say. Or are you merely parrotting what you have time and again heard as the offical line which justifies the relentless persecution of all Palestinians. Yes, that's what those people experience on a daily basis under Israeli occupation. I thoroughly disagree with and condemn the violence of targetting of innocent civilians by both sides. Yes, the Israelis do it too but you never read about that in the popular press. They often do it under the guise of going after important targets and the Palestinian civilians who are killed and maimed are considered justifiable collateral damage. As you know, Israel has the advantage of suppressing all Palestinians with the use of billions in American military aid, U.S. built helicopter gunships, tanks, missiles, weapons, and ammunition. It's a one-sided conflict. Open your eyes and make the minimal effort it takes to look beneath the surface of the daily onslaught of spoon fed propaganda that you so readily accept as true and then eagerly regurgitate to others who, like you, are content to form their beliefs on the basis of all the superficial blather. Don't forget, I condemn the killing on both sides. If you and others had the integrity to condemn Israel's relenless evil practiced against the Palesitinians as you do the Palestinian violence against Israel, the situation might have a chance of improving. Encouraging one side of a conflcit always has the effect of fueling the fire. Good work!! Think about it for once.

Back to my question: What are your sources? If you have none, then be big enough to admit it.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well for starters dubiousone you can start by reading what the followers of Hamas have themselves declared over and over. The link below is but one of many many sources. Try a google search bro. What do you think I made it up? Please ~

"Adnan sat in the sand with some of his Palestinian neighbors just a few yards away from an open sewer in the Gaza Strip's Shati Camp and promised the destruction of Israel. " Yasser Arafat means nothing to me," he said. " I want all of Palestine back." Adnan, who gave only his first name for fear of arrest by military authorities, lost his job in Israel last March when the government sealed off the violence-riddled Gaza Strip. " My parents were thrown out of their town in 1948," says Adnan, 25. " Any Russian Jew can live there now, but I have never seen it. We are ready to fight and die as martyrs"

www.time.com...

Phased destruction

On June 8, 1974, the Palestinian National Council - which was transformed (along with the PLO) into the Palestinian Authority by the Oslo Accords - adopted a resolution outlining a 10-step plan for the phased destruction of Israel.

According to the plan, the Palestinians would first establish a state on any chunk of land vacated by Israel as a result of a "peace" agreement, international pressure or war. From this rump state, the Palestinians would then mobilize a general Arab assault on a far less defensible Israel.

"The 1974 decision became known as the "Phased Plan", and has been invoked by Arafat on numerous occasions since his signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993."

www.jnewswire.com...

"Hamas and "the Destruction of the Zionist Entity"

by Samya Nasser
While there was never any doubt that the secular groups within the PLO conducted the Intifada of 1987, the Islamist "Hamas" sees itself as the leader of the present one. The failure of the Oslo Accords at Camp David, together with the losses that Islamist suicide bombings have caused Israelis, have encouraged the Hamas leaders to proclaim as their immediate goal nothing less than "the destruction of the Zionist entity". Thus speaks Osama Hamdan, for instance, leader of Hamas in Lebanon: "We who support the Islamic program do not talk only of Jerusalem, or of Jerusalem as a holy city. We talk of Palestine the whole of Palestine and the rights of the Palestinian people." Hamdan said these words on August 14 at a round-table discussion on "Reverse Direction", a political talk show on the remarkably open TV station, al-Jezira, broadcasting out of Qatar. How serious are the Hamas leaders when they make such proclamations? Does the Islamic leadership have, in fact, a magic formula for defeating Zionism? When we look at the actual politics of Hamas, we see a large gap between its rhetoric and its ability, or even willingness, to muster the forces it would need in order to vanquish Israel. "

www.mediamonitors.net...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hamas has promised mega-attacks in response to Hassin's death, but that will be difficult. Hamas is hamstrung due to its' own miscalculations and Israeli actions, such as the recent killing of 40 Hamas operatives Hamas has appealed to Al Qaida and other terror organizations to initiate attacks in their stead.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Israeli's assasination is not resolve in this war. Resolve is not assisinating a leader. When has that ever equaled resolve? You think if we had been able to kill Hussein in that first week of attacks that the war would have been stopped? Hell no. He would become a martyr and the war would have continued. The same thing applies to this war. Israel is creating martyrs, and they don't even know it they are so bent on revenge. That's what this war has become. The original intent is lost and thus any chance for peace has been lost with it. This is now just the two countries killing each other claiming they have to take revenge because the other killed one of their own...this is a spiral that can only lead for more death on both sides.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
kricket: that's a good point you make. Normally, I would think Israel would avoid high profile targets, like Yassin, and they won't get Arafat, in order to avoid the backlash. BUT, as you pointed out, they have weakened Hamas. They will look weak among their supporters if they cannot retaliate, and effectively. Strength means a lot in the Arab world. I wonder how long Rantisi will live.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I agree with you meddled. Unfortunately decades have proven that simply doing nothing just leads to more killing of innocent civillians by suicide bombers who will not stop until the state of Israel has been destroyed. So its a fight to the finish then. Both side kill each other.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the sources. Where do they say that the Palestinians' goal is the destruction of Israel THROUGH KILLING INNOCENT CIVILIANS? How did the minority of Palestinians who use death and mayhem as a means of resistance (remember, I thoroughly condemn those methods) get to that point?

Good work Israel. Killing a paraplegic in a wheel chair, while leaving prayers at a Mosque, using high powered U.S.-suppled missiles, fired from the safety of a U.S.-built attack helicopter? Never mind that many others were killed at the same time? Never mind that many many others were maimed and wounded at the same time? Do they not matter? Why not? Because they aren't Israelis? But, then, there's the broader goal which justifies it all (see below).

The killing of Yassin was done at a time and in a manner that was obviously going to foment greater hatred and violence toward Israel and the U.S. The result is so predictable that it was most likely by design. Or do you think the political and military leaders of Israel and the U.S. are so naive, blind, and stupid that they have no clue what reaction their methods are likely to produce? So, now the numbers of muslims who hate the West have been multiplied many times over.

I say it was by design that this would be the result. Why? Because in the minds of the many who never ask any hard questions, this will justify the application of more brutal force, terror, death, and destruction against the Palestinians, all toward the goal of eventual Israeli occupation of the whole of Palestine. I have no doubt but that this is the direction toward which Israel's and the U.S.'s agenda is moving in the Middle East. Do you? Every overt step taken so far is a clear step toward that goal. The obfuscation and counter-propaganda is just effective enough to keep the superficial-thinking public believing that our leaders are operating from good intentions. But, then, many in the West believe that Israel should wipe out the Palestinians and occupy all of Palestine. After all, God gave that land to Israel 3,000 years ago.

In ten to twenty years there won't be a Palestinian state. There will be an Israel occupying all of Palestine. Why? Because the obvious Israeli/U.S. agenda is well-planned and well-executed and the Palestinian leadership are foolish enough to always take the bait, commit new atrocities, generate negative public opinion, and generate yet another wave of incursion suppression by the Israelis/U.S. It is brilliantly conceived. The Israelis and Palestinians who die in the process are just collateral damage along the way toward the goal of full occupation of all of Palestine by Israel. It is such an obvious and overt process that I'm amazed so few people see the progression toward that goal.

With regard to the present violence, it is not a one-sided issue. There is not only one side a fault. There is not only one side practicing unspeakable evil. The Israelis do it as much and sometimes more than the Palestinians. The sins of the Palestinians are always more visible because that's how the Western Press publicizes these horrible events. There is plenty of information out there regarding how the Israelis suppress, oppress, and terrorize the average Palestinian on a daily basis. Why can't you take a balanced position and condemn both sides of this ongoing evil? Your unbalanced position, which is held by an alarming majority in the West, is the bigger problem.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yes it was done in a high profile manner. It seems that every time Israel stops and waits for ceasefire the palestinians suicide bombers blow up another bus or nightclub, or market place and kill and mame hundreds of innocent civillians. Your right, no end in sight. I think Israel has tried peace and working it out. But its obviously not going to happen when the extremists islamic militants dont care. So the gloves are off now, its time to fight. Eventually they will grow tired of bloodshed and try peace.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The reason that Israel used helicopter rockets and didn't arrest Yassin is precisely because it is NOT occupying Gaza.

It does not have operational police control over Gaza, and over a large fraction of the West Bank.

In the 1980's it did.

There is much LESS occupation now, and much MORE terrorism against Israelis. And more of the terrorists honestly believe in complete desctruction of Israel and not just a Palestinean state, which was their previous demand.

They can have a state any time they want, assuming the renounce their desire to obliterate Israel and its citizens.

They basically have one in Gaza and in some of the West Bank.

Hamas and al-Aqsa want to exterminate the Israelis. The Israelis do not want to exterminate the Arabs.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You really hit that right one the nose mbkennel. Well said.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Good work Israel. Killing a paraplegic in a wheel chair, while leaving prayers at a Mosque, using high powered U.S.-suppled missiles, fired from the safety of a U.S.-built attack helicopter?

being paraplegic doesnt excuse someone for murder or being an accesory to it, disabled people dont deserve special treatment for their choice to do wrong and im disabled so i have no compassion for disabled people who do wrong and they deserve punishment like anyone else.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Mbkennel:

The way you seemed to word that last sentence seemed a bit misleading. Arabs do not want to exterminated all Israelis. And I'm sure there are Israeli's who do want to exterminate all Arabs.

Groups like Hamas are the biggest problem in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I am sure that had violence never started, Hamas would not have formed. So it is from violence, that violence comes. At this point, there is no way the Palestinians could just create their own state. Neither side would hear of it. Palestine needs revenge. Israel needs revenge and the claim to all the land that they feel is their's. It not nearly as simple as just stop killing people.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Actually, attacks and deaths in Israel were down by about 50% in 2003 as opposed to 2002. Israel's decapitation tactic is having an effect. One reason to kill Hassin now is to forestall celebration by the radicals over Sharon's unilateral withdrawal from Gaza. Remember, Hassin was marked for death quite some time ago, and an attempt on his life failed last September.

Let's go back to see how the latest intifada started. Arafat and the Palestinians were offered everything they said they wanted in 2000, land, sovereignty, etc., and Arafat turned it down, and started the current intifada instead. that's because his actual goal is the destruction of Israel, period.

Hassin was the inventor of the child suicide bomber. I would not call such a person a "spiritual leader," but some do. He also said that Israel had no right to exist, would never be recognized by Hamas, and would be destroyed. He did not represent the majority Palestinian view, dubiousone is right about that.

And that is why, unlike Hamas, Israel targets the actual operatives and leaders of the radical attackers. Hamas targets innocent men, women and children. If Israel wanted to use Hamas style attacks, it could. It could simply bomb those funeral processions, and kill thousands.

Israel's tactics are having an effect, as shown by the lower attack and death totals even as the threats from Palestinian radicals have increased. You notice that Hamas has been unable to make an immediate attack in response. They will try, but they are not in good shape, and will be hard pressed to stage a mega attack.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Kricket said: >And that is why, unlike Hamas, Israel targets the actual operatives and leaders of the radical attackers. Hamas targets innocent men, women and children. <

It may also have to do with the fact that the only side of this conflict that the U.S. arms to the gills is Israel and it is the only side that has the tactical means with which to target anyone it chooses wherever that person may happen to be found. The radical Palestinians have no such means and, apparently out of desperation, have adopted the horrific tactic of self-sacrificial suicide bombing. They have no means of getting close to the Israeli leadership. So they attack Israeli civilians. It's the innocent civilians who are paying for their leaders' decisions and tactics. Again, I'm not suggesting that this is acceptable practice by either side. It is the way things are. I don't think the Israeli leadership is in any way commended by your pointing out that they only target Palestinian leaders and bad guys (which in fact is not true). To the extent they do that, it's only because they have been given the technological methods that allows them to do it when they choose, not because they are doing so out of good intentions.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If the Palestinian people wanted to stop the terror they would. They could get international assistance, they are ruled by terorrist and they are complacent. There is so much world attention on this problem, unlike some oppressed people as well as the fact their "government" has no actual army like N. Korea or Iran.

Face it, they are letting it happen, maybe not all but certainly most. So let them pay the price. I used to defend them quite a bit in discussions but this recent violence plus the reactions to the death of this child murderer just goes to show what animals they are.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
>If the Palestinian people wanted to stop the terror they would.<

Pollyanna, it's time to get a grip on reality.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
>If the Palestinian people wanted to stop the terror they would.<

Pollyanna, it's time to get a grip on reality.

Why is that so hard to believe? What is it they truly face. There is no army against them. It is their fellow citizens within their society and those people are causing them all of these problems. I am sorry but we are not talking about a huge army as we see in other nations. These are "thugs" and unless there are so few against it they need to step up and take control before something bad happens to them. Saddam used his army and his secret police, he imprisoned people and killed them because he had the money, the power and the army behind him. The same can be said for N. Korea and China as well. The palestinians have been offered peace and rejected it. I can't see any indications that they truly want it in the first place.

Oh and beside being a smart ass what was your point?

[Edited on 3/23/2004 by nativeokie]

[Edited on 3/23/2004 by nativeokie]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join