It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there two USA's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'm not crazy... at www.amazon.com when you select a country they have two names for our country for a place for shipping. They have The United States and they have USA. Is there some corporate loophole which requires them to put USA and the United States there and not just one or another? This doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Most likely it is because people will look for both. It is not uncommon for people to add the same thing, with 2 different names to a list. You don't want to lose a customer because they are looking for USA on a huge list of countries, but not United States and vice versa. And in general you want to make it as easy as possible for your customers.

Some people put the entire list alphabetically but then have the US at the top, as the majority of their business is from the US. Or they use a geo-targeting database of IP ranges to find your general location(I can target you by IP address within a few miles). It's how those ads work that seem local to you.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I would think that they just have two options because people type it differently...

THe same way that it might be New York City or NYC.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
EDIT:

yup...people are fast responders here.....

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Reddupo]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Ireland = Eire

Britain = UK = England/Scotland/Wales

Russia = Russian Federation = USSR = CCCP

EU = European Union = European Commission = EC = European Economic community = EEC

etc..

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
no it's no loophole.

They have it both just like 2 options.

there are loopholes but it involves a American to register a company outside the U.S.A

so I don't see U.S.A or united states of america to be a loophole for corps.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Actually there is a conspiracy surrounding a two Americas theory. One is the organic united states of America, the other the United States of America or UNITED STATES of AMERICA or USA. There are definitely threads about this theory on ATS. Since it's not the OP topic I won't get into it here. The Amazon thing is probably a convenience measure.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Any chance I could live in the one without McCain or Obama as presidential candidates? ...where the Bill of Rights, Separation of Powers and government accountability are all meaningful concepts?

Which one do I click on?

[edit on 28-9-2008 by loam]

new topics

top topics

join