It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers warned: Don't shoot killer parrots

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Farmers warned: Don't shoot killer parrots

www.nzherald.co.nz

High country farmers are being urged not to break the law to stop a protected bird preying on their livestock.

The kea, known for its intelligence and inquisitive nature, is turning to live sheep for food, which can result in a slow and miserable death for the sheep.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Though they usually eat normal parrot fare, these birds jump on the backs of the sheep and peck through their skin, in one case eating a sheep's kidney.

Up until 1993 when they first caught Kea preying on healthy sheep in nocturnal attacks, they were only believed to target sick or dying sheep.

They are so intelligent that they can solve puzzles, often working in groups.

Oddly they're attracted to the lights of a campfire. Maybe they have enhanced vision, or even infrared?

www.nzherald.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here's a video: **Warning: Graphic content**

In the video above they look like vampires; quite amazing behavior.

It's the most wanted predator in New Zealand, formerly having a bounty on it's head.

Farmers once exploited their attraction to campfires to lure in young birds and shoot them.

Now, protected and only 5000 birds in the wild the Government of NZ promises to investigate 'problem birds'.

Wiki: The Kea

Called "the clown of the mountains", it will investigate backpacks, boots or even cars, often causing damage or flying off with smaller items.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I had no idea that such a small bird would go after something as large as a sheep.

I feel sorry for the sheep, they have absolutely no way to defend themselves, or even get away from those birds. That video was a little too graphic for me, i wish i hadn't watched it.

I'm all for preserving wildlife and saving endangered speices, but i don't know if i could just sit there and watch those birds eat my sheep alive.

They're asking a lot of these people to just allow there sheep to be tortured like that.

Edited for spelling error

[edit on 28/9/08 by chise61]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I can see it now. Parrot fancier buys one at the pet store.

Wakes up in a bathtub full of ice with a kidney missing and a note pecked on a post-it note to call 911.

But seriously, what I find intriguing is they're so intelligent they can even operate as a gang.

At least bats have anesthetic in their saliva. Some sheep die in a panic trying to get away. Most die of infection.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
first of all the sheep in that video was stupid. hey buddy ever think about rolling onto your back for a second and squashing that annoying, vicious little bird?

Second if those birds were in my backyard eating my live stalk I'd be blasting away into the trees with a shot gun, screw the police. it's easy to hide a bird, and it's easy to hide your shot gun and it's spent cartridge and wad. As long as you shoot into the smaller branches nobody is going to notice any scarring by the shotgun pellets on the bark, and since it's a farm you probably have enough time to wash the gunpowder residue off of you before the cops arrive giving you smoe dead pests and plenty of deniabillity.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm all for flesh-eating birds, but goodness, it's just bad manners to eat your prey while it's still alive.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

So you think just the sheep in the video were stupid (as opposed to normally intelligent sheep?)

You might be right.

According to Wiki: Sheep intelligence:

Sheep are frequently thought of as extremely unintelligent animals.

Despite these perceptions, a University of Illinois monograph on sheep found them to be just below pigs and on par with cattle in IQ, and some sheep have shown problem-solving abilities

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's a nice photo of one:

I had no idea these birds existed. Amazing animals!

Nice thread!

[edit on 27-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

If a sheep rolls on its back it cannot get upright again

reply to post by asmeone2

There are people in Taiwan that eat fish this way

Ontopic;

Well this is certainly a strange bird species.

Nature seems to immitate life, predators are govt protected nowadays...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

So you think just the sheep in the video were stupid (as opposed to normally intelligent sheep?)

You might be right.

According to Wiki: Sheep intelligence:

Sheep are frequently thought of as extremely unintelligent animals.

Despite these perceptions, a University of Illinois monograph on sheep found them to be just below pigs and on par with cattle in IQ, and some sheep have shown problem-solving abilities

Wiki:

A sheep's herd mentality and quickness to flee and panic in the face of stress often make shepherding a difficult endeavor for the uninitiated.

Wow. "Quickness to flee and panic under stress"...

I can't stop laughing at the wording wiki used to describe sheep's "intelligence".

I have fish in my aquarium that are smarter than sheep...
None of which would allow something 1/20 it's size to eat it alive.

BTW, thank you, chise61, for the warning not to watch the video.
I took the advice.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by mmariebored]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
anybody ever heard of the vampire finch? it is also a bird that attacks animals and drinks their blood.
nature is and always will be full of surprises.
but on topic if i was a rancher and my sheep were being killed and it was my livelyhood i would kill the bastards. if my sheep die so do i so F the birds.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I motion that we call this guy the "ovejacabra."

Who needs aliens when you've already got ovejacabras?

[edit on 27-9-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmariebored

BTW, thank you, chise61, for the warning not to watch the video.
I took the advice.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by mmariebored]

Good point. I added a warning. It's not that bad, but it is pretty creepy watching that kind of behavior.

Sorry if anyone was upset.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
maybe these birds are like the nz version of our famed chupacabra lmao
and so not a 1 liner i added this sentence

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
...They are so intelligent that they can solve puzzles, often working in groups.

Oddly they're attracted to the lights of a campfire. Maybe they have enhanced vision, or even infrared? ...

Well, if they are that intelligent, they can work out the equation of "Hey, when my fellow birds attacked that sheep, they were shot. I guess I'd better not attack those sheep".

And I've had a pet theory that raptors see in infra-red for a long time. It would explain how they are able to spot mice and rabbits when the raptors are hundreds of feet in the air.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Well, if they are that intelligent, they can work out the equation of "Hey, when my fellow birds attacked that sheep, they were shot. I guess I'd better not attack those sheep".

And I've had a pet theory that raptors see in infra-red for a long time. It would explain how they are able to spot mice and rabbits when the raptors are hundreds of feet in the air.

Yep. Some also think that eagles, hawks, vultures, and the like can "see" the thermals that they travel on.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I must say it puts a whole new spin on the Monty Python sketch "Dead Parrot"

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Yep. Some also think that eagles, hawks, vultures, and the like can "see" the thermals that they travel on.

I never thought of that as an extension of my belief that they can see infra-red, but that would explain how they are able to stay up as long as they want to, while even the best glider pilots can't stay up anywhere near as long.

I'm glad you posted!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join