It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates Die Strangely After Taking Iranian Ship

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Sounds like they were exposed to radiation. If someone already said this, sorry.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
If the poor bastards got od'd on rads then I feel sorry for them, even if they are pirates. It's a horrible way to die.

Good. Sorry about their luck (he snickers). These pirates are vermin and I'd be even happier if the ship were a mere rat trap.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

They are capturing ships because the French and Spanish appease anyone who captures their ships and pay the pirates off... it's a good business to be in, unless of course you capture a ship containing high levels of radioactivity..

Yeah because its all the frenchies and spaniards fault....I mean its not like they are out there fighting piracy like da good old US of A? I mean its not like they're part of a special group or force....yes force....that's task is to stop piracy? Like say Task force 150?

en.wikipedia.org...-_2007:_Operations_off_Somalia

[edit on 28-9-2008 by devilwasp]

Edit:
Yeah the darn frenchies.....appeasing...

Darn frenchies

[edit on 28-9-2008 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

Starred and flagged.

Wasn't this a Ukrainian ship? Now, it's Iranian? Now, along with 30+ T-72s, there's "Minerals" on board that are suspected of really being Chem Weapons???

I have a weird feeling about this one. So far, it sounds like the Preface to a Tom Clancy novel.

Cuhail

Deplated Uranium ammunition maybe??

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by friendforafoe

AND that ship is NOT IRISL-owned despite what some sources state

If there are any questions, I'd be happy to answer to a certain extent

I just know what I've been reading in articles.

How do you know the Iran Deyana isn't IRISL, and if Iran itself doesn't own the ship, then who does?

[edit on 9/28/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm really surprised this story isn't getting more attention. You hear about the Urkrainian ship, but not the Iranian ship. If reports about the health effects on the pirates are true, then this is a very, very serious situation.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

AND that ship is NOT IRISL-owned despite what some sources state

If there are any questions, I'd be happy to answer to a certain extent

I just know what I've been reading in articles.

How do you know the Iran Deyana isn't IRISL, and if it's not IRISL does the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines own it, and would that still mean that the Iranian government owns the ship?

I apologize, I was wrong somewhat. I'm getting my ships mixed up haha. IRISL is the beneficial owner of the ship, however it doesn't usually do normal IRISL shipping, but what would be considered normal for bulk carriers like this one (i.e. iron ore, salt, blah blah).

This month the US Treasury Department designated IRISL under Executive Order 13382 because the company provides shipping services to Iran's Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics and facilitates shipments of military-related goods (including WMD-related materials) using deception techniques including falsifying shipping documents to hide the true end-users of shipments, employing the use of generic terms to describe shipments and avoid attracting attention of shipping authorities, and creating or making use of cover entities to conduct official company business.

Yes this vessel comes off as suspicious and rightly so, but there is no indication this vessel is carrying anything OTHER than the iron ore. Plus this ship was hijacked over a month ago ... I'm pretty sure Iran would have paid that ransom damn quick if there were hazardous / radioactive materials onboard because the ramifications of someone doing a rescue operation and finding such material would be severe. These prolonged negotiations are a good indication that there is nothing hazardous onboard. Yes they lie, cheat, and steal, but they do cover their own ass.

And I know this because of where I am and what I do at my job ... I deal with piracy off of Somalia as well as illicit cargo operations. I'm not saying how I know, but believe me, no pirates died, or got sick, or lost their hair.

Pirates use propaganda tools as much as anyone else does. They threaten to kill various crewmembers to facillitate the negotiation process, but they won't kill crew members. It's all about getting their money by any means possible.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
OH and I've also noticed a lot press are getting ships mixed up etc as well. The M/V FAINA doesn't have "depleted uranium shells"

It does however have quite a load of 125mm smoothbore rounds on it (used for T-60 and T-72 tanks) ... that ship came from the UKRAINE ... not IRAN.

Sorry , I had to clear that up

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
They are capturing ships because the French and Spanish appease anyone who captures their ships and pay the pirates off...

Well, the French aren't just taking this laying down!

Sarkozy Sends French Troops to Rescue Captive Sailors

France announced Tuesday its military forces have rescued two French sailors held hostage off the coast of Somalia - waters considered among the world's most dangerous when it comes to pirate attacks.
******SKIP******
The order to rescue the two French sailors was given late Monday night by French President Nicolas Sarkozy. The French president's office says the French army killed one Somali pirate and captured six others during the mission that freed a couple held hostage for the past two weeks.
******SKIP******
Mr. Sarkozy said France would not tolerate a situation where crimes pay.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

And I know this because of where I am and what I do at my job ... I deal with piracy off of Somalia as well as illicit cargo operations. I'm not saying how I know, but believe me, no pirates died, or got sick, or lost their hair.

Pirates use propaganda tools as much as anyone else does. They threaten to kill various crewmembers to facillitate the negotiation process, but they won't kill crew members. It's all about getting their money by any means possible.

Aye, it could be that the pirates are putting out that story knowing that people will jump up and say radiation sickness, hoping that might act as leverage to get the Iranians to stump up more cash with the pressure they're under on the nuclear front. If there really was some truth in it, I'm pretty sure that the US &/ Russian would be taking a closer interest but all the credible news I could find indicates that it's the Ukrainian ship carrying the tanks that they are after, not this one.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I really hope you are right!

I can just see Bush using this as something to get things all heated up again about Iran if it was found out chemical or biological weapons were on that ship.

And especially if it was found out something radioactive was on the ship.

Thanks for your insight, but I'll still keep on eye on this to see how it progresses and look forward to see how this incident ends!

And like I said, I hope what you said above ends up being true!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't really call them "sailors" per ce ... they were French Nationals that got hijacked off of Somalia in their yacht CARRE D'AS .... vacationing ... off of Somalia (en route to Australia?? I can't remember ... or was that the German couple doing the same thing?) ...
dumb idea

The French are making things a bit difficult for some people acting on their own accord like that, but since then more and more nations are taking a more proactive approach to counter-piracy operations, delegating task forces or assets to patrol the Gulf of Aden / HOA to prevent piracy on merchant vessels. This is a good thing rather than to always rely on us to police the waters, stretching our assets and fighting a battle that essentially can't be won

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by friendforafoe ... And I know this because of where I am and what I do at my job ... I deal with piracy off of Somalia as well as illicit cargo operations. I'm not saying how I know, but believe me, no pirates died, or got sick, or lost their hair. ...

I don't know why I should believe this -
But I do.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by skjalddis

Exactly
now you're getting it. Like I said, we're not concerned with the IRAN DEYANAT (believe me, when that press piece came out on the 11th, we were flipping out, but it's all good). The FAINA is what we're focused on (and which is why I've been working 17 hour days).

Here's something of interest for everyone before I leave work for the evening. I'll be back on tomorrow for any other questions (you can always U2U me).

www.life.ru...

In case anyone was curious, the website contains a transcript in Russian of the conversation provided in the sound clip. The first paragraphs providing background information are translated as follows: After negotiations which lasted almost 2 days, the pirates who have seized the vessel FAINA off the coast of Somalia have lowered their ransom amount. Now they are asking for $5 million instead of $35 million, which they initially demanded. Victor Nikolski informed that the captain of the vessel had a heart attack and died. (Captain Vladimir Kolobkov which matches our crew list).

The dialogue in Russian from the clip is the caller explaining that he has been asked to speak only in English in order that "our friends" (presumably Americans) understand.

Everyone, have a good evening and I'll check with you guys tomorrow

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply and I sure hope your right!

All Bush needs is to find some kind of radioactive crap or chemical or biological weapons illegally on an Iranian ship to get things REALLY heated up with Iran again!

Again, I sure hope your right about this, it will be interesting to see how this story progresses, hopefully it will just fizzle out (if like you said nobody got sick), but it still has the potential to become a big international incident with all these accusations being thrown around!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by friendforafoe ... And I know this because of where I am and what I do at my job ... I deal with piracy off of Somalia as well as illicit cargo operations. I'm not saying how I know, but believe me, no pirates died, or got sick, or lost their hair. ...

I don't know why I should believe this -
But I do.

I work in maritime security operations and all the information I've typed is unclassified. It's just a better understanding of the situation with FACTS so people aren't so damn confused or jumping to conclusions. and that is my final note for the evening. Be back tomorrow!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
هل لديك الرؤوس الحربية النووية ?

edit:

sorry 1 line and all that - found a translator with ` do you have any nuclear weapons for sale` in arabic ^^.

[edit on 28/9/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I believe radioactive cargo would be detectable via satellite, if it was shielded enough to hide it from the satellites we use, it wouldn't harm the 'crew'. I think the real 'fear' element of the story is biological or chemical.

U&nless the idiot Pirates opened whatever was shielding the Radioactive stuff..lol

Mabe it is chhems, but then, wouldn't those be sercured also?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Radiation sickness within days would mean rads so high that he ship's fuel would probably explode from proximity to the cargo.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey hey. No sickness mentioned, just some hypertension I guess.

Somali pirates want $20M ship ransom; crewman dies

A man who said he was the captain of the seized ship and who identified himself as Viktor Nikolsky told the AP that a Russian crew member died Sunday because of hypertension.

They don't say anything about any NBC cargo, but do say...:

``What's on board is of concern to us as much as the criminal activity,'' Christensen told the AP, adding that the Navy does not want the tanks and other weapons to end up ``in the wrong hands.''

Well, of course not. I'm sure we have a list somewhere detailing who the "wrong hands" are, don't we? (Oh, I'm sure these guys are on a list)

Oh yeah. It was Kenya with the bill of lading.

Pirates seized the Ukrainian-operated ship Faina off the coast of Somalia on Thursday as it headed to Kenya carrying 33 Russian-built T-72 tanks and a substantial amount of ammunition and spare parts. The ordnance was ordered by the Kenyan government.

Cuhail

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join