It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Blunt Statement on Obama Campaign’s Abusive Use of Missouri Law Enforcement

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

governor.mo.gov...

Gov. Blunt Statement on Obama Campaign’s Abusive Use of Missouri Law Enforcement

JEFFERSON CITY - Gov. Matt Blunt today issued the following statement on news reports that have exposed plans by U.S. Senator Barack Obama to use Missouri law enforcement to threaten and intimidate his critics.

“St. Louis County Circuit Attorney Bob McCulloch, St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce, Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer, and Obama and the leader of his Missouri campaign Senator Claire McCaskill have attached the stench of police state tactics to the Obama-Biden campaign.

“What Senator Obama and his helpers are doing is scandalous beyond words, the party that claims to be the party of Thomas Jefferson is abusing the justice system and offices of public trust to silence political criticism with threats of prosecution and criminal punishment.

“This abuse of the law for intimidation insults the most sacred principles and ideals of Jefferson. I can think of nothing more offensive to Jefferson’s thinking than using the power of the state to deprive Americans of their civil rights. The only conceivable purpose of Messrs. McCulloch, Obama and the others is to frighten people away from expressing themselves, to chill free and open debate, to suppress support and donations to conservative organizations targeted by this anti-civil rights, to strangle criticism of Mr. Obama, to suppress ads about his support of higher taxes, and to choke out criticism on television, radio, the Internet, blogs, e-mail and daily conversation about the election.

“Barack Obama needs to grow up. Leftist blogs and others in the press constantly say false things about me and my family. Usually, we ignore false and scurrilous accusations because the purveyors have no credibility. When necessary, we refute them. Enlisting Missouri law enforcement to intimidate people and kill free debate is reminiscent of the Sedition Acts - not a free society.”

Not sure what to say about this.

Is it true?

Missouri "Truth Squads" To Protect Obama Campaign

www.youtube.com...

www.americanthinker.com...

NO ONE is free to criticize Obama here in Missouri"!!!"

www.wnd.com...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Heres some direct quotes from the people involved. Looks like its true:

www.liveleak.com...

Zindo

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Heres some direct quotes from the people involved. Looks like its true:

www.liveleak.com...

Zindo

Thank you very much, this is getting scary.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What exactly does this mean?

What will be the consequences if a person is found to be spreading untruths?

And who decides what is true?

I believe we are about to enter uncharted territory.

[edit on 063030p://bSaturday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
If the Federal Elections committee allows this they sure as hell can't complain if the Republicans win. They can't say that the Republicans bought the election. This is going to piss off lots of people if it ever gets more attension. This is blatant manipulation of the election. Saying that you believe that Obama's positions and statements are wrong and why are not any violation of ANY law. Patently unconstitutional. This is thought police in its worst form!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm interested to see how this story unfolds. I am reserving judgment at the moment, as I suspect there is more information to be released (perhaps damning, perhaps exculpatory). I hate to be cynical, but it seems that each day brings more information to solidify the notion that politicians are all scoundrels--every last one of them. I think it takes a bit of that in one's personality to be drawn to politics; perhaps it's the other way around: politics creates that in the individuals it has "captured". Hopefully, we will continue to see some who put a hold on their conniving ways to help the populace out every once in a while.

[edit on 27/9/08 by paperplanes]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Stormdancer,
No, this is not uncharted territory. The old Jim Crow laws did very much the same things, only they where directed towards the freed slaves. This is not legal. Someone should be screaming about impeachment of these two. A prosecutor is not there to protect the candidates. Thats the job of the party, not an elected official of the judicial branch till its brought to court. Proactive censorship by these people is wrong!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Stormdancer,
No, this is not uncharted territory. The old Jim Crow laws did very much the same things, only they where directed towards the freed slaves. This is not legal. Someone should be screaming about impeachment of these two. A prosecutor is not there to protect the candidates. Thats the job of the party, not an elected official of the judicial branch till its brought to court. Proactive censorship by these people is wrong!

Zindo

WOW, I hope this gets the attention it so urgently deserves.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What exactly is Obama's Campaign doing? The article doesn't really say. Itjust gives Governor Blunt's (
) opinion on something Obama's doing, but doesn't really say what it is...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
With all eyes on this (cough)financial crisis, looks like we may be caught like deers in a headlight, I find the timing of the financial crisis curious, especially in light of a statemant once made by Soros.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What exactly is Obama's Campaign doing? The article doesn't really say. Itjust gives Governor Blunt's (
) opinion on something Obama's doing, but doesn't really say what it is...

Yes I know, but it seems it mattered enough for the Gov to issue a statement.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yeah, well, I'm not sure how credible Mr. Blunt is... He's involved in several scandals and is "stepping down".

In addition. Obama supporters started the Missouri Truth Squad.

More as I find it.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
be fair and stick with the topic,

regardless of his past this may really be an issue.

Let's find the facts on this specific subject.

Thanks BH.

[edit on 073030p://bSaturday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I am being fair and on topic. Obama's SUPPORTERS started the truth squad, not his campaign.

Sounds like Governor Blunt is "exaggerating" as regards what this "Truth Squad" is and does.

Source

On Wednesday, Obama’s Missouri campaign announced U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill would lead a group of Democratic lawmakers, prosecutors and one sheriff “who will be proactive in letting voters in the Show-Me State know the truth in the face of the distortions by the McCain campaign,” according to a news release.
The Missouri Truth Squad will “respond quickly, forcefully, and aggressively when John McCain or his allies launch inaccurate claims or character attacks about Barack Obama, or when they distort Barack Obama’s record or plans.”
Despite having law enforcement officials on the truth squad, none of them have publicly said they will invoke their official powers to enforce facts about Obama’s record.

This appears to be a manufactured controversy. But have a good time expressing outrage and indignation. You can be sure if Obama was quashing free speech, the law would stop him.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Go to my link for Liveleak. Theres a more viable source than Blunt. Theres something wrong and its quite plain!

Zindo

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The Major is amused at the attempt to spin this press release. The Major would be interested in any reputable news source reporting Governor Blunt is "stepping down." The Major is also puzzled why someone would dig up a an old news clip from early on in the primary races and use it to try and explain away the jack booted thuggery that is occurring on Barrack Hussein Obama's behalf NOW. Evidently there is a collective myopia that is afflicting those predisposed to supporting the Democrat Nominee, though the Major is at a loss as to why. Using a public office, and law enforcement to silence those that oppose the Chosen one reeks of something the Major hasn't smelled in quite some time.

Dismissed.

link   

On Wednesday, Obama’s Missouri campaign announced U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill would lead a group of Democratic lawmakers, prosecutors and one sheriff “who will be proactive in letting voters in the Show-Me State know the truth in the face of the distortions by the McCain campaign,” according to a news release.

Despite having law enforcement officials on the truth squad, none of them have publicly said they will invoke their official powers to enforce facts about Obama’s record.

You don't find this at all odd, BH?

[edit on 073030p://bSaturday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Show me

reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Semantics my dear Major:

Republican Gov. Matt Blunt, who had stockpiled millions of dollars for an expected re-election campaign, threw Missouri politics into disarray Tuesday by abruptly announcing his exit from the race.

In the stunning announcement, Blunt said he had decided not to seek a second term because he had accomplished virtually everything he set out to do when he ran for governor four years ago.

But Blunt has trailed in the polls to Democratic Attorney General Jay Nixon, who has been campaigning against Blunt for several years already.

From his first months in office, Blunt has been under fire for slashing the Medicaid benefits of hundreds of thousands of Missourians. More recently, he was sued by a former staff attorney alleging the governor's office illegally destroyed e-mails, then tried to cover it up, to avoid complying with Missouri's open-records law.

Why the obvious change of direction?

Earlier this month, Blunt was sued by a former staff attorney, who claims he was fired and defamed in retaliation for pointing out that Blunt's office was destroying e-mails in violation of Missouri's open-records law. Blunt has defended the September firing of Scott Eckersley, but has declined to comment on the allegations that his office intentionally purged e-mails as a way to avoid providing information under a Sunshine Law request.

(snip)

A poll conducted last November for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and TV station KMOV showed Nixon ahead of Blunt, 51 percent to 42 percent, with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. It also revealed that 57 percent of the 800 likely voters polled by Research 2000 opposed Blunt's handling of health care. And 61 percent said Blunt's handling of health care would be an important, or very important, factor in deciding their vote for governor.

Blunt had built a big fundraising advantage over Nixon, reporting more than $6 million on hand compared with Nixon's $2.7 million in October. But Blunt's advantage shrunk as a result of a Missouri Supreme Court decision reinstating campaign contribution limits and leading to the refund of large checks.

Last week, Blunt reported $4 million on hand and Nixon $1.7 million, but Blunt still needed to refund more than $2.3 million while Nixon had completed his refunds.

www.foxnews.com...

A paragon of virtue this one.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Kernel Korn]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kernel Korn

Just what the Major needs, a "Dear Major" letter from a southern inebriate. What could have possibly caused the good Kernel to post this, did the bars all close early? The Major would also like to remind the Kernel that sources are required in this venue. The Major being of a particularly generous nature shall provide it for his Korness:

www.foxnews.com...

The Major is also unsure what part of not running for reelection equates to "stepping down?" I know that the thought of not continuing to nourish oneself at the public teat is beyond the ken of most, but for those that are capable and willing to support themselves rather than live off the taxpayer's largesse it is a viable option. The Major will now invoke the name of Cincinnatus, the last politician the Major trusted, and a man who understood the intrinsic value of "stepping down." The Major can only guess that the Kernel is unfamiliar with virtues of that esteemed Roman figure due to his penchant for studying the bottom of a liquor bottle vice the more mundane study of history.

The Major hopes to see you for tea at your convenience.

Dismissed.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
McCain-Obama battle over Missouri “Truth Squad”

www.stltoday.com...

I sThe Barack Obama campaign is asking Missouri law enforcement to target anyone who lies or runs a misleading TV ad during the presidential campaign?

“What Senator Obama and his helpers are doing is scandalous beyond words, the party that claims to be the party of Thomas Jefferson is abusing the justice system and offices of public trust to silence political criticism with threats of prosecution and criminal punishment.

Once again is this true?

Threats of prosecution and criminal punishment?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join