It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silly woman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
what does st paul mean when he says.

" silly woman laden with divers desires "

what is a silly woman and why does st paul disregard them?

peace.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

This is the entire context:

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth—men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

It's not criticizing the women (per se). It is talking about the false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing. Those 'Who are loaded down with sins' is a reference to the false teachers. Basically, like crooked televangelists that tell little old ladies to donate their pensions to the wolves' ministries (as an example) or the wolves who prey on widows, etc. So it was talking about the false teachers who try to 'seduce' these women and take advantage of them.

The focus and criticism is mostly on the wolves.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Oh ok my version says (silly) so i thought he meant shallow woman who rebel against modesty because they find their happiness in their shallow goofiness.

I see those type always. But I think I was wrong. I'll have to look against at different translations of that passage.

thanks dear.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here's a modern example of what St. Paul was stating. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

what is a silly woman and why does st paul disregard them?

The "silly women" you are talking about in verse 6 (and 7) are those women who seem to "sit at the feet of a master" and SAY that they "get it" and 6 months later...they are there again, asking the VERY SAME questions that they asked (AND...were answered) 6 months earlier:

2 Tim 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

These are the ladies in a 'church' who seem to always seem to have the same questions...over and over again. They will AGREE with the answer, then, six months later, come back with the same question.

They aren't interested in ANSWERS, they are only interested that "the man of faith" APPROVES of THEIR 'faith'. ("You've asked a FANTASTIC question, Sister so-and-so")

They are usually the most solid "pew sitters" and are quite faithful in a 'church', but they want to be "noticed" for their curiosity about Biblical things.

They have NO husbands at home to answer their questions, EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY BE MARRIED!

Let me say this again:

These women may VERY WELL have a husband...but THAT husband ain't answering their questions the 'right' way

THEY (the silly women of 2 Tim 3:6) are much more common than one would think.

top topics

join