It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hint to the Wise: Enroll in a EMT Class ASAP.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Do you know what to do in those first few minutes of a disaster - that can save your loved ones and those around you?

What about medical treatment for the days following?

And medical supplies? What's good to have and what's not?

Even if you have medical supplies, do you know how to correctly use basic medications?

Like run of the mill penicillin that can and will kill you if it’s given incorrectly?

I would encourage everyone out there to either take a EMT course or make sure at least one person in your family does have some type of Emergency Medical Training.

In the long run it just can’t hurt either way.

Plus it will bring you into contact with like minded people.

True, there’s that also - if there’s a disaster you’ll be more than trained to help others.

Worse case scenario? When it comes down to food or no food? You’ll have your experience to barter yourself out of hunger pains.

Here’s a link for information in your area. It lists a few schools in the USA - or you can punch in your zip code for more info!

Emergency Medical Technician Programs

Good Luck

...taps...

[edit on 27-9-2008 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I did this in college. I figured it would be a guaranteed job if I couldn't find anything in my field.

Lowe and behold I found something in my field. It's a good thing to know though for sure. I wouldn't want to do those ER hours again though. That was awkward and fairly disgusting.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thisguyrighthere:

I loved working the E.D and the ambulance.
I can't count the number of times I used the skills I learned outside the job too.
Yep the hours were horrid, but the satisfaction from the job made up for it.

The security of knowing I was way ahead of the pack in taking care of my family in the case of emergency gave me a real sense of comfort also.

I can’t imagine feeling safe and secure by just stocking up on food (as many posts here allude to food food food) and not preparing for the rest of the body besides the stomach, but hey, that’s just me.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Been a EMT and firefighter since 1976.
it has got me many jobs in construction and mining just because the bosses wanted someone around with firefighting/EMT training just in case.

On many jobs sites i got 2 dollars more a hour just because i had EMT certs.

On two jobs it even got me a company truck to use.

TIC hand

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The key is with anything you can train to be a paramedic etc but if you do not have the gear you need for the advanced skills you might actually be better off with Boy Scout first aid as it takes common items and shows you how to use them in medical situations.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The key is with anything you can train to be a paramedic etc but if you do not have the gear you need for the advanced skills you might actually be better off with Boy Scout first aid as it takes common items and shows you how to use them in medical situations.

That's why I said EMT not Paramedic.

Without any medical training you're out of luck dead, under the thumb of the establishment, or another person.
Boy Scout first aid or even a First Responders Course isn't going to cut it.

One of the most important things EMTers learn is great anatomy & physiology - that goes hand in hand with *patient assessment*.
Simply put - know the body and know how to find out what's wrong with it.

The difference between when to give something as simple as sugar to a diabetic, in diabetic shock - will save their life.

Knowledge you'd maybe not think of - like - if someone has a horrid eye injury bandage BOTH eyes. You want both those eyes staying STILL! The sympathetic eye movement from the *seeing* eye causes the damaged eye to move also - creating even more damage.

Simple things like the COMA position.
Repositioning a victim so their head is resting to the left lying on one arm, airway open, the other arm in a *hands up* position, their knee bent = body stable.
This keeps the airway open and lets blood, vomit etc escape the mouth without chocking the victim.
It gives you time to go and look after other casualties, possible saving one life by the simple repositioning of that person.
Example, an explosion.
Bodies everywhere.
As you check each body, quickly position to COMA.
Unconscious = more than likely head injury = possible vomiting.
Vomiting in an unconscious state = aspiration of vomit = death.
COMA position prevents this.

I could go on and on but the point is, EMT training will teach you many things to save life and limb that you don't need a whole lot of equipment for.

Good Luck All

...taps...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I wont argue that But the basic first aid is going to be way more accessable than anything else. Or better yet an advanced cource in WIlderness first aid.

No worries with my kit. I have the gear, equipment, antiobiotics and IV fluids needed to do minor surgery, but most will have to make do with whatever they find.

[edit on 10/4/08 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I was an NREMT- paramedic for close to 10 years. I've done SAR, tactical, and remote medic work. Moreover, my wife is a CVICU RN with ED experience.

EMT-B & I are invaluable classes to civilians. Good post.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Just finished up my EMT last week. The skills you learn as a BASIC are just that, basic...If the SHTF thats exactly what your going to want to know. How to keep someone from dying with basic equipment...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

I’m ashamed to say how long it took me to figure out *SHTF* - :O
I was thinking EMT/Paramedic terms and thinking - hmmm, must be something new! lol

Grats on your class - Good Luck on your Test.

...taps...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

So you and your family sound like you're as all set as you can be.

Good Luck to you and yours!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Like you I’m *All Set* with my Jump Kit, and more.
I was wondering though about Vet Wrap?

If you don’t know you’ll appreciate it I bet - a great conforming soft wrapping material - check it out.
I used to use it when it was meant/used for livestock - especially horses - but for all I know, now in the States it’s being used by Emergency responders.
Great stuff!
Almost beats Duct Tape! *wink*

...taps...

top topics

join