It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A Strange Find

page: 1
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
While hiking I came across a strange box. It seemed to have been buried and because it was on top of a hill, erosion seems to have exposed the box and its contents. When I looked inside I was a little shocked to find a single blue glove, a lock of hair, a silver chain and some other small items that I could not identify.

Also strange was that the box was lined in red velvet and had two ceramic tiles on the lid that seemed to depict some sort of victorian scene. At first I was curious and then after taking a few pictures began to get a very bad feeling about the box.

We left shortly after and I still had a very creepy feeling hanging over me. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be or if it has some sort of symbolism?

I have a few theories but would like to hear from others.

The pictures are posted at my flickr acct

I'm new so hopefully didn't do anything wrong with my first post




posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I bet you ran across a box of trinkets left by geocahers.

Link:www.geocaching.com...

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

If I knew how to use a gps it sounds like fun.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

First of all, assuming this isn't a hoax (we get a lot of those around here) I'm quite interested as to where this will go. Right now I'm thinking a memento from a murder or something along those lines.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Looks like some kind of burial when they could not find the body of a child.
A way of closure so to speak. I have no clue other than that.
I thought before I looked at your pics, it may of been that thing way back where some kids buried some of there belongings and newspapers then dug them up years later to reflect but its defanatly not that.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I bet you ran across a box of trinkets left by geocahers.

Link:www.geocaching.com...

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

If I knew how to use a gps it sounds like fun.


Having actually geocahced before I looked up the coordinates on several local sites and found nothing in that area. It was something I defintiely considered but with the contents being so odd, quickly got the feeling it wasn't all fun and games.

Thanks for your reply!



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingwoody
Welcome to ATS.

First of all, assuming this isn't a hoax (we get a lot of those around here) I'm quite interested as to where this will go. Right now I'm thinking a memento from a murder or something along those lines.


Well not sure what I can do to help with the hoax part of this, but let me know. As for the memento idea, this was something I had also considered as it seemed to have a dark overtone to it. A single glove, a lock of hair, a sliver chain, and a strangely constructed box.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Does it have any occult meanings?

[edit on 27-9-2008 by atzmaz]



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   


Looks like some kind of burial when they could not find the body of a child.
A way of closure so to speak. I have no clue other than that.
I thought before I looked at your pics, it may of been that thing way back where some kids buried some of there belongings and newspapers then dug them up years later to reflect but its defanatly not that.


Time capsule was also something I thougth about, but again the contents were too strange. It seemed to have been buried pretty well but with rain and erosion came to the surface. The box was closed and I saw only the tiles. I flipped it over and exposed what you see in the pictures. The red portion is the top, and the other side of it has the white tiles.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by atzmaz]



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Are there any dwellings within close proximity to where you found the box ?

How high and steep is the hill ?

The trailing tree-root shown in the photos .. was this and/or other debris covering the box initially ?

The box doesn't appear waterproof and the velvet lining appears to be in reasonable condition. Does the box remain intact (bottom and sides)? If it's not rotting, it would seem the box is not of great age and/or has not been out in the elements for any great length of time.

Any plastic within or around the box ?

Did you check inside the glove to see what it is made of .. natural or synthetic fibres ?

Do you plan on returning to the site ? Did you replace the box-lid and leave it as you found it, or did you take it home? If the latter, you could check the glove fabric.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
PErhaps it is a time capsule of some kind? Something that kids left behind and then forgot about, or didn't bother to retreive?



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
Are there any dwellings within close proximity to where you found the box ?

How high and steep is the hill ?

The trailing tree-root shown in the photos .. was this and/or other debris covering the box initially ?

The box doesn't appear waterproof and the velvet lining appears to be in reasonable condition. Does the box remain intact (bottom and sides)? If it's not rotting, it would seem the box is not of great age and/or has not been out in the elements for any great length of time.

Any plastic within or around the box ?

Did you check inside the glove to see what it is made of .. natural or synthetic fibres ?

Do you plan on returning to the site ? Did you replace the box-lid and leave it as you found it, or did you take it home? If the latter, you could check the glove fabric.


To answer your questions...

Are there any dwellings within close proximity to where you found the box ? Yes, there are houses within a mile or two of this location. I'm posting a link to show you where it is. Its located on a hill that you have to climb up to get to the ledge overlooking the lake where we were. Its shown in this google map image.

How high and steep is the hill ?
The hill is probably at least a few hundred feet above the lake/river. The climb up is really like climbing oversized limestone steps. This side is on private property so most people don't come to it, although i've run into a few while up there before. Its a fairly steep climb that takes about 10 minutes at a brisk pace.

The trailing tree-root shown in the photos .. was this and/or other debris covering the box initially ? Yes the box was covered by mostly dirt and I can't remember if the root was over it but I don't think so. There was also leaves and rocks around it, again smaller rocks and dirt was what it was covered with.

The box doesn't appear waterproof and the velvet lining appears to be in reasonable condition. Does the box remain intact (bottom and sides)? If it's not rotting, it would seem the box is not of great age and/or has not been out in the elements for any great length of time.

The box definitely didn't seem waterproof and the velvet on the roof was bright and not faded at all. The bottom seemed to be in much worse shape and had a whitish sort of velvet in it. Also it looked like water had seemed in as i noticed some mold on the bottom. It doesn't seem to have been of great age as the glove seemed to be something at least from the last 10 or 15 years.

Any plastic within or around the box ? There was no plastic whatsoever.

Did you check inside the glove to see what it is made of .. natural or synthetic fibres ? Seemed like synthetic, but cannot be sure.

Do you plan on returning to the site ? Did you replace the box-lid and leave it as you found it, or did you take it home? If the latter, you could check the glove fabric.

I have returned to the site only one time since then and couldn't seem to find the exact location. I did leave it as I found it and replaced the lid after taking pictures. I defintiely didn't take it home as it gave me the creeps. The glove didn't seem to be old but something like you would get at walmart or target.

Thanks for the questions



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey,
how much you want to bet that box belonged to some high school girl who was dabbling in the dark arts and yes i believe that dark art is real and people mess with it and shouldn't but you most likely stumbled upon some teenage wackos dark art box...im saying a glove lock of hair and everything else on the list like the movies and books you can grab at secondhand stores...i don't know if the person was a wannabe or the real deal but that stuff is bad news what ever way you twist turn it so just go pot everything back the best you can and forget about it and hay saying a out loud (i sometimes thing that if there is something that dosent understand then tat out loud talk will help) apology and explaining what happened while you are fixing your problem wouldn't hurt ... when you are done..YOU ARE DONE drop it it was an accident or misunderstanding so think your all good unless you don't fix what you kinda messed up..

hey i have messed up stuff on accident in my local cemetery taking pics of the sky and tripping and it took a bit to have the weird feelings leave but i do pry and ask god to bless my house and for me that has helped but i don't know your standing on that but you get my drift yeah...cool...your all good.

man i just proof read this and i sound like a wacko..lol!

that's what i think.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz
 


Strange how thought's seem to have turned to murder ... what a morbid lot you are !


I read the post and one thing came instantly to mind because this is something I've done myself (being a witch n'all).


I would say it's most likely a 'spellbox'.

A 'spellbox' is a container usually made of metal, wood or pottery (I prefer wood myself), and when the witch has completed her spell she would put certain relevent items that she'd used into the spellbox and bury it normally it would be sealed with candlewax and tied with a cord or ribbon (the colour of which would indicate it's purpose).

Now, if there were no dwellings around the area where you found the box, I would hazard a guess and say that said spell in this case was probably designed to remove a curse ... get rid of a negative energy ... banish someone/thing from creating problems in the persons life (this is called a 'return to sender' spell). At the end of such a spell you would take the spellbox as far away from your home as possible to bury it or even toss it into the sea (it's a symbollic banishing if you will).

If my assumption is correct then this would also explain why the OP felt a little uneasy after he'd opened it.

Moral of this story ... if any of you discover a curious little box buried in the middle of knowhere or washed-up on a secluded beach ... well, it's probably best to leave it where it is !
Think of it as opening Pandora's Box ... you really don't know what you're letting out because you have no idea what the witches intent was when she created the energy inside it.

However, my witchy senses tell me that the OP probably already knew that because I just saw one of his posts on another thread recommending Crowley and Aggripa for those new to the craft to read.

Personally I think they are a little heavy going for new witches and I wouldn't give Crowley the time of day under any circumstances ... there's enough ego in the world of witchcraft without propagating the next generation of 'wytchlings' with his rubbish surely to Goddess !

Of course it may have been nothing to do with witches and spellboxes ... it might have been some treasured possessions of a loved one that were laid to rest in a personal and/or sacred place to them during their lifetime ... either way not really cool to desecrate anything found in such circumstances ... curiosity can be a real killer ... just ask the cat !



Woody



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz
 


Thanks for the info

Do you suspect there's a possibility that the 'feeling' you experienced may have been associated with the location itself ? The tops of hills sometimes have an unsettling atmosphere (several reasons for that). Maybe the location unsettled you and when you found the box, you believed it was responsible.

Or, perhaps the box reminded you of books or movies from your past, where buried relics in isolated locations were sinister ?

Whichever the case, it's wise to go with our instincts.

As to the box, it could be something .. or nothing. For example, as kids, we sometimes wrote notes and stained them in tea, or singed the edges to give them the appearance of 'age'. Sometimes we'd put them in an old box, along with bits and pieces, after which we'd hide them up a chimney, hoping they'd be discovered 'one day' and be regarded as genuine. All they did most likely was catch fire or cause smoke next time a fire was lit, but as kids we didn't consider practicalities like that.

Or, perhaps a family or group given to romantic mysteries held a picnic up on the hill. It sounds quite scenic. For all we know, they could have arranged a treasure-hunt type game, with a prize for whomever located the 'hidden relics'. It may have rained, or the 'treasure hunt' may have been forgotten entirely due to some other unexpected event (a swarm of bees, or an argument, for example) leaving the box to lie there until someone came along (you in this instance).

If you're still intriqued enough, you could take a recording device up there -- turn it on and ask if anyone's there to please speak -- then go back later to retrieve it.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
*Please stay on topic and remember your Manners.*

Calling a New Member's post a hoax is not called for here.

He posted pictures and made a polite inquiry.

Further such outbursts may be warned!

Thanks for your attention to this and happy posting.

Badge01
Forum Moderator.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz
 



In my opinion your feelings derive from the simple fact that you found yourself in the presence of something that was clearly of an intimate nature, and not intended for you. That's it. (And that's enough to arouse such feelings.)

As to how it found itself there... people do all kinds of things.
(And if they're very young, doubly so.
)
I remember burying a little "treasure" myself when I was a child.

Frankly I am a little surprised by the immediate "murder" thoughts.
It never crossed my mind. It doesn't mean that those who suspect a murder aren't right. I just think there are other, simpler and probably better explanations.

Unless you publicise your find - oh wait, you just did that
- you may never get an answer.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by atzmaz
 


Strange how thought's seem to have turned to murder ... what a morbid lot you are !


I read the post and one thing came instantly to mind because this is something I've done myself (being a witch n'all).


I would say it's most likely a 'spellbox'.

A 'spellbox' is a container usually made of metal, wood or pottery (I prefer wood myself), and when the witch has completed her spell she would put certain relevent items that she'd used into the spellbox and bury it normally it would be sealed with candlewax and tied with a cord or ribbon (the colour of which would indicate it's purpose).

Now, if there were no dwellings around the area where you found the box, I would hazard a guess and say that said spell in this case was probably designed to remove a curse ... get rid of a negative energy ... banish someone/thing from creating problems in the persons life (this is called a 'return to sender' spell). At the end of such a spell you would take the spellbox as far away from your home as possible to bury it or even toss it into the sea (it's a symbollic banishing if you will).

If my assumption is correct then this would also explain why the OP felt a little uneasy after he'd opened it.

Moral of this story ... if any of you discover a curious little box buried in the middle of knowhere or washed-up on a secluded beach ... well, it's probably best to leave it where it is !
Think of it as opening Pandora's Box ... you really don't know what you're letting out because you have no idea what the witches intent was when she created the energy inside it.

However, my witchy senses tell me that the OP probably already knew that because I just saw one of his posts on another thread recommending Crowley and Aggripa for those new to the craft to read.

Personally I think they are a little heavy going for new witches and I wouldn't give Crowley the time of day under any circumstances ... there's enough ego in the world of witchcraft without propagating the next generation of 'wytchlings' with his rubbish surely to Goddess !

Of course it may have been nothing to do with witches and spellboxes ... it might have been some treasured possessions of a loved one that were laid to rest in a personal and/or sacred place to them during their lifetime ... either way not really cool to desecrate anything found in such circumstances ... curiosity can be a real killer ... just ask the cat !



Woody


Excellent insight! I really enjoyed reading your post. I will look more into this "spellbox" idea and see what I come up with. I do agree with you on Crowley...defintely not for everyone, but gems of knowledge are often hidden among heaps of trash.



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Moderator ... as your warning was posted immediately under mine, could you advise if your post was directed at me ?

If so, I cannot see anything in my post which stated the OP was a hoax



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Obviously this part of my original reply got missed somehow (?) - so I’ll post it again.


As for the box.
If you have any strange *feelings* about it report it to the police.
Call them up, tell them where it is and forget about it.
To give it any more importance than that is to succumb to all the trappings of a dime store gothic novel.

Thank you for posting with pictures though!
It’s always great to *see* what people are posting about!
Welcome to ATS!





[edit on 27-9-2008 by silo13]



posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13
 

My, my, what an angry little silo you are !


You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine and I take no offense at your personal attack of my beliefs. But at the end of the day sugar manners cost nothing.

If you take off your sceptic goggles for a moment and read my post properly you might realize I was only answering the question asked by the OP ... second thoughts you probably wouldn't see anything at all so, as you were !

But just one more thing, to my knowledge you don't know me or the person I am and I certainly have never noticed you before, so I have to ask ... why would you assume you have the right to attack me so harshly ... this is a genuine question ?

And I wonder, would you be so rude to someone in the real world that you'd never met before ?

As I said, 'manners cost nothing' and it shows more intelligence to make your point without being insulting ... but maybe I'm assuming you have evolved to such a civilized level ... when in reality common decency towards your fellow humans is still beyond you just yet.

If so I appologize for expecting too much of you, my mistake.

Or maybe the thought that real witches actually do exist scared you a little ... in which case again I appologize.

Now, if you have anything else to say to me please try to be civil and on topic.

To the OP I appologize on behalf of myself and young 'silo' (very apt name by the way), for being off topic.

Woody




top topics



 
2
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join