It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about beans, carbs and gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hi,
Ive been collecting canned food, medicine and spend much money on guns and waterpurification materials lately.
When X is happening I have to spend a lot of camping gas for cooking rice and beans: are there methods to eat rice and beans without cooking it? What are the best beans to buy?
Also: what seeds should I buy (only have a few M2 to plant, 6 months a year of normal climate)

Thanks!!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlin
are there methods to eat rice and beans without cooking it? What are the best beans to buy?

I don't know of any way to prepare beans and rice without cooking them. Soaking beans overnight beforehand will make them cook a little faster. If you plan on having any electricity, a crock pot is a good way to cook them. Otherwise, a fireplace or fire pit.

Also: what seeds should I buy (only have a few M2 to plant, 6 months a year of normal climate)

Don't know what M2 is, but I like having foods that are hearty and could make a meal. Also, you want to grow things that will "keep".

Also, you may want to check out Square foot gardening if you don't have a lot of room.

Butternut and acorn squash (they keep through the winter if stored correctly)
Mustard, Collard greens (and other greens) Dandelion greens are great.
beets
potatoes
sweet potatoes
turnips

Others:
lettuces of all kinds
carrots
green beans
Corn, if you have room.

If you're planning on staying where you are, you may want to look into building a coldframe or other winter garden.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

I don't think you can prepare either beans or rice without cooking, at least for a bit. If you don't chew the rice (if/when times get hard) it will swell in your stomach and cause cramps and possible slight dehydration from it taking on water plus it takes fluids to digest food.
I would suggest always pre-soaking them the night before though as it removes a lot of the things that cause discomfort and takes much less energy to prepare.

new topics

join