It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You don't need to Stock up on food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I have Noticed a lot of posts saying that there is a domesday approaching, and you need to by all the food you can and that you are going to die if you don't. hear are some of my reasons on why you do not have to do this.

sorry if this is the wrong place first time posting in this kind of forum.

1) If you live out of town you can grow your own. its not hard and if there is no fall out or what ever you will not need to by so much.

2)If you are in the city and there is a fall out what ever you are going to need to move out of town anyway so you will not want to carry all that food around with you.

3) Farmers will still exist only there will not be any way for them to get power and fuel for there tractors so there will be lots of workers and they will most likely be paid in food.

This is what I think by the way I live in Australia Just like to say best place there is

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
That is debatable.

Things are not black and white, SITX can be a varied and destructive beast.

Prior preparation and planning prevents piss-poor performance in the field mate

So keep stocked up!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lachlan438

Hello Lachlan and welcome to ATS!

I think what you've said sounds valid for your situation, however for other folks' situations food stocks may be very beneficial.

We live on an island in the Caribbean, and the majority of our supplies reach us via barge; even during normal times, sea conditions might preclude a barge, so it is normal for us to keep our own foods stocks, even though we grow many of our own vegetables and fruits.

People in or near city centers, while their response to a SitX might be to leave, they will most likely need to feed themselves in transit, as well as feed themselves during the interim while they are getting their situation established in the new location. Even those of us in rural settings rarely depend solely on homegrown foods. We stock in excess of a year of dried foods, and they are foods we reguarly eat, and we rotate our stocks. It gives a person choices, and as we acquired the foods gradually, there has been no pocketbook pain to speak of.

In a bad situation, it might be sensible for a person/family/group to remain in their familiar surrounding, at least until they can travel safely. I myself would rather make a stand in a familiar environment than to evacuate to an unfamiliar one.

Many natural disasters can wipe out our crops -- hurricane/typhoon, earthquake, tornado, etc.

I would think that anyone who's plan for disaster or SitX is to evacuate to another area, would want to have a good stock of food, and even more importantly, a large supply of water in portable containers, as well as water filtration/purification supplies.

Good food for thought, thanks for the thread.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It is always prudent to keep a stock of food and other necessities.
There are other situations that need to be prepared for.

With the weather patterns changing around the world a bit of planning for ones needs is only the smart thing to do.

I have read two articles in the past week concerning possible problems with power grids in the US and other countries.

If you are not preparing for your future survival I do hope you are collecting items that can be used as trade for food others have stockpiled.

You will starve to death waiting for your garden to mature enough to feed you. That is if you have even thought to have a supply of seeds.

I disagree with your post 100 %.

I do welcome you to ATS and hope you will learn much and also have fun while being educated.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lachlan438
I have Noticed a lot of posts saying that there is a domesday approaching, and you need to by all the food you can and that you are going to die if you don't. hear are some of my reasons on why you do not have to do this.

sorry if this is the wrong place first time posting in this kind of forum.

1) If you live out of town you can grow your own. its not hard and if there is no fall out or what ever you will not need to by so much.

2)If you are in the city and there is a fall out what ever you are going to need to move out of town anyway so you will not want to carry all that food around with you.

3) Farmers will still exist only there will not be any way for them to get power and fuel for there tractors so there will be lots of workers and they will most likely be paid in food.

This is what I think by the way I live in Australia Just like to say best place there is

The UK has 3 days of food supplies available at any given time, the US has 5. this can probably be stretched by rationing to least a couple of weeks. Now depending on the time of year when TSHTF you could find yourself with nearly 18 months before you can harvest a suitable amount of food to sustain the population, PLUS we need fuel, lots of fuel to power the machinery needed to run farms and transport the food across the world or just from the farms to the towns. Within 3 weeks or when the sheeple miss three days without food there will be anarchy and chaos, if the power fails it will happen even quicker. Our governments say we should keep 3 days / 72 hours worth of food and water in case of storms. the Survivalist community in general thinks 3 months supplies is the absolute rock bottom minimum for PAW situations, with older guys with familes like myself believing 6 months food and supplies is the absolute minimum. the Mormon community plus many living in rural areas such as the US mid west, the Northern parts of the UK and much of OZ traditionally believe in enough supplies to survive a bad winter plus one season of failed crops, That tallys to more than a years supplies.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In answer to your three reason why not to stock up on food, I can probably give you 50 reasons why you should. I suggest you read a few more posts first before you make statements.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

What a surprise! Someone who just very recently registered here, and is saying "Everything is fine, nothing to see here, go about your business!".

Before you believe this guy, ask yourself this: Is there ANY harm in stocking up 6 months, or 1 year's worth of food? If not, ask yourself why this poster would discourage you from doing so.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
thanks for replys

sir_chancealot, I am not saying any one not, just why would you I think for were I am in the world there is no need to

Wotan, I chalange you to make 50 reasons why you should on a thread hear if something like a fall out dose happen I will take back all I have said and die but I just don't think stock up is a need

NRaider you sound smarter then me that's not hard but 3-5 days of food I don't see how that can be right when I know that apple farmers have apples frozen to sell when no apples are growing so that must throw out 3-5 days I might be wrong but I am not a farmer

Dizzydame, What do I have to swap during a blackout well not much lots of computers but
They will not work with no power. My way of staying alive would be to go out and look for food berrys stuff like that yes I would die but would life Even be worth it if you have to look out for radio activty and not be able to go home a night pick up a phone and call some one on the other side of the world. It would be crap to have to work day in and day out just for food not items that are just there to be nice.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
During the cold war the UK , US and Nato nations used to keep 6 months supplies of meat and grain stocked to feed the people with, after the cold war ended the strategic reserve was srapped and the only supplies left are those held by importers and supermarkets, in the early 90s they held about 9 days supplies, but as transit systems and shipping systems improved ( bigger Iso container ships and air frieght systems) the amount of reserves fell to three days worth of group to supply the nation.

So on a good day if we have enough nosh to feed everyone for three days, plus what the prudent have in the kitchen we may get by a week before people start missing meals, ( not forgetting that much of the grain available is required to feed cattle with or to plant next year). In many cities such as London , NY and Sydney people often having very little in their homes and rely on cafes to feed them. If the cafes do not open those folks are going to get seriously hungry in a few days, and as the experts so often tell us, even the most civilised people with riot after three days in a row without food.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
WOW....Just WOW.

Ok so let me get this straight.....Don't buy food because you can grow your own????? Do plants give off fruit within a week in Australia????
Come on now! It takes MONTHs to go from seed to bearing fruit. What are you supposed to eat in the meantime? Dirt???

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
LOL no I am saying that stocking up with months worth of food is not worth the effort and that you can grow you own and make up a stock pile like that

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lachlan438

Is this enough reasons to stock up for?

NATURAL DISASTERS

 Avalanche
 Coldfront
 Drought
 Earthquake
 Flood
 Fire (brushfire)
 Heatwave
 Hurricane – Severe Storm – Typhoon
 Landslide
 Snow – Snowstorm – Blizzard – Whiteout
 Tornado
 Tsunami – Tidal Wave
 Volcano – Lava – Pyroclastic Flow

LAW, TERRORISM and WAR

 Biological Warfare
 Chemical Warfare
 Civil Unrest – Mob Rule – Looting
 Civil War
 Crime – Gang War
 Genocide – Ethnic/racial Cleansing
 Global War
 Martial Law – Curfew
 National Emergency – Civil and Military
 Nuclear Warfare – Dirty Bombs
 Regional War
 Sabre Rattling – Military Standoff/posturing
 Terrorist Attacks

ECONOMIC & DOMESTIC

 Commodity Shortages – Food, Fuel, Medical Supplies, etc
 Chemical Spillage
 Fire (domestic)
 Hyper Inflation
 Industrial Action
 Interest Rate Rise – Mortgage Shortfall – Negative Equity
 Job Loss – Loss of Income
 Power Shortages – Blackouts, Power Breakage
 Transport Problems – Aircraft, Boats, Rail, Road – Bad weather, strikes, accidents
 Vehicle Breakdown

HEALTH RELATED

 Birth (non-hospital)
 Disease
 Heart Attack – CPR
 Pandemic
 Plague
 Trauma – Severe Wounds
 Virus

Enough said I think.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

In answer to your three reason why not to stock up on food, I can probably give you 50 reasons why you should. I suggest you read a few more posts first before you make statements.

With that attitude no one would ever post.
I admire someone who jumps right in.
Who cares if some feathers are ruffled - more ruffling the better.
That’s the last thing this place needs is a bunch of *wanna beeees*.

Back to the OP.

It's nice to hear someone who's not posting with fear and using some cool headed logic...at least for your situation, which is all anyone can ask for.
While your opinion might be good for you, well, there's a lot of people out there who will need to do some stocking up.
But I'm sure they know who they are.
Or they should and maybe your post will get them thinking - "will I or wont I have to stock up."

What about medical supplies though?
I haven't heard much about that.
Even the basics?
I know I'm going to have to lay in at least the basics.

What's your ideas?

Oh, and Welcome to ATS!

...taps...

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

My way of staying alive would be to go out and look for food berrys stuff like that yes I would die but would life Even be worth it if you have to look out for radio activty and not be able to go home a night pick up a phone and call some one on the other side of the world. It would be crap to have to work day in and day out just for food not items that are just there to be nice.

It sounds as though you feel that if life's circumstances change from the way you live today then life is not worth living. Your choice. There are many who feel that life is worth the effort even though it might be different then the day to day routine we are living now. The shocker is that it might turn out to be better in some ways.

I would prefer to be at least slightly prepared so that I might have the option of continuing. The quiting on life option is always available.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

LOL no I am saying that stocking up with months worth of food is not worth the effort and that you can grow you own and make up a stock pile like that

Now he tells me!

Anybody want to buy a room full of food, etc?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In the US, there are laws against "hoarding" which allows officials to confiscate your food and redistribute it. In many states, you are only allowed a two-month supply. It is much better to have a garden and a sustainable food supply.

new topics

top topics

join