It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 in NYC rally as protests gather nationwide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hate to tell you guys but I think the Kobe Bryant trial has gotten way more coverage than the anti-war rallies. Why? Because the majority of people out there don't care about anti-war rallies.

[Edited on 24/3/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Hate to tell you guys but I think the Kobe Bryant trial has gotten way more coverage than the anti-war rallies. Why? Because the majority of people out there don't care about anti-war rallies.

Have you ever considered that it was kept out of the media because the current administration didn't want it to be in the public eye any more then nessessary? There was a ban on pictures of soldier's coffins coming back from war for the same reason.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
no dear...i think you misunderstand how the american media works. The media forces what they want upon us...it doesn't matter what you are interested in. If they want to run a story..they will run it regardless of public opinion. You seem to forget that the people who control the media also support Bush and are pro-war.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Actually, the anti-war movement Bush has set off is unprecedented since the Vietnam era and anyone paying attention will note these are not your 60's and 70's era protesters. These are people from all walks of life and from all faiths. There are many veterans and military members' families participating, as well.

Nice try, Cool Hand.

Really, then where are all these people? I have yet to see one of them on my way into work every day.

Where exactly do you work, anyway? (City) You say you're in the Navy. And fly, right?

No one has come up to me when I am in uniform to screech at me. In fact people have come up to me and thanked me.

They don't have any problem with members of the military. I don't guess you've ever thought to yourself that much of the opposition stems from actually supporting the troops? I know.. I know..

I doubt, very highly, that there are as many protestors now as there was during the Vietnam era.

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS. Do the RESEARCH. It's a fact.

But, as always, certain people here go shooting from the mouth without the facts to back it up.

Touche.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You are the classic example of why. As you demonstrate, it works like a charm.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Hate to tell you guys but I think the Kobe Bryant trial has gotten way more coverage than the anti-war rallies. Why? Because the majority of people out there don't care about anti-war rallies.[Edited on 24/3/04 by COOL HAND]

Well, just to let you know I could care less about Kobe Bryant. In fact, as time went on I got so sick of hearing him on the news. I'm sorry to ask you this but you say where are the facts. What facts do you need. We're presenting them to you on this website. What more could you possibly need?

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by mrmulder]

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
He's programmed mrmulder. His original thought hardware has been completely reconfigured to spit out Bu# rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Actually, the anti-war movement Bush has set off is unprecedented since the Vietnam era and anyone paying attention will note these are not your 60's and 70's era protesters. These are people from all walks of life and from all faiths. There are many veterans and military members' families participating, as well.

Nice try, Cool Hand.

Really, then where are all these people? I have yet to see one of them on my way into work every day. No one has come up to me when I am in uniform to screech at me. In fact people have come up to me and thanked me.

I doubt, very highly, that there are as many protestors now as there was during the Vietnam era. But, as always, certain people here go shooting from the mouth without the facts to back it up.

no one is protesting against the soldiers. that would be stupid. people are protesting the war. also, military don't have the freedom to protest against their "commander-in-chief" but there is definately a LARGE percentage of people in the military who are AGAINST the war. my husband is in the army and currantly in i iraq and he and i both are against the war as are most of are friends in the military. i have always been outspoken about my beliefs, but for my husband's sake, i have learned to pick which battles i take to a public level. personally, if the protest would have been on the news and i would have seen it, i would have been proud.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Barely anyone gives a crap about the kobe bryant trials. And yes a majority of ppl care about the anti war trials. You obviously don't know how the government favoured news channels like CNN and FOX work.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Saturday, March 20, was 'global day of action'. Many people gathered from all over the world to express opposition to war. I drove to Crawford, TX where many activists gathered along with Ralph Nader and Alex Jones. I'm happy to hear about the NYC rally turnout.

Does anyone have any idea how many people around the world actually participated in these rally's? Somehow I doubt that it was a majority.

Heh.. small world. We were in crawford also.

As for the protests.. lets try millions of people across the world.
Here is a link to a great thread on DU

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by GanjaGoddess]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I saw it on the news, but I can't remember which one, they did say that it was more like 35,000-40,000 not 100,000. Still 35,000-40,000 is a lot of people.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Declare the war unnecessary? Come on, these idiots have no idea who Saddam Hussien was and what his regime did. The only reason he has loyalist is because he fed,sheltered, and provided for those who went out of their way to kiss his ass. Good ridence.

It is a shame that so many civilians were killed, but as I am growing older I am begining to feel that anyone who prays for the downfall of the USA has the right to try to fight us and die. I can pray that God has mercy on the innocent souls that died.

War is bloody, we made mistakes, and this is nothing like Vietnam, the regime is gone. Neigboring countries need to help Iraq get on its feet. Now it is up to the Iraqi's to take control of their country.

If they were not in poverty they would not hate the USA so much.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GanjaGoddess
Heh.. small world. We were in crawford also.

That was actually a post that I had made. (COOL HAND doesn't know to quote properly) I arrived to see Ralph Nader speak, so I wasn't there in time to march through the boonies. It certainly is a small world.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
That was actually a post that I had made. (COOL HAND doesn't know to quote properly) I arrived to see Ralph Nader speak, so I wasn't there in time to march through the boonies. It certainly is a small world.

Well, you seem to have caught the highlights. Nader is my hero, well.. kucinich runs a close second.. and then there is chomsky... Okay, truth be known, I have a slew of heros

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
100,000 people in NYC protesting without getting the media's attention, sounds like BS to me.

Why cant there be protests by sane people in the name of something with a cause like the enviroment. It appears to me that some protesters are a little loco and really hurt their cause, especially when in a large protest they are whining about the war, race equality, gay rights, while some crazies are running around breaking stuff. Rally for a cause, not because you are mad at the world.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
why were there not pan-European protests going to war against Serbia?

(except in moscow)

there was no U.N. authority there, either, and far from a 10 year record of rejectionism.

Milosevec is no nice guy, but Saddam was far worse.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
There was coverage, at least in south Florida, on the protests in NYC this past saturday.

News :: War & Peace
On One Year Anniversary of Iraq War, Tens of Thousands Call For an End to the Occupation
by NYC-IMC 21 Mar 2004

Tens of thousands of New Yorkers marked the one year anniversary of the start of the Iraq War by marching peacefully for peace in midtown Manhattan. Despite an early spring chill, the mood of the crowd was upbeat and determined. The NYPD reported four arrests; a group of 100 or so drummers marching downtown at 6pm initially caused a tense standoff with police. All in all, though, the day was remarkably trouble-free. [See Photos 1 || 2]

nyc.indymedia.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
There was coverage, at least in south Florida, on the protests in NYC this past saturday.

really? I'm in south florida and I didn't see anything, what channel was it on? I tend to watch more Fox, MSNBC, and CNN...not too much of the local stuff.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Okay, time to respond to all of my detractors.

One, the news market is very competitive. I am sure that there is nothing new there. But, they all have to compete with one another to get the best ratings to get the most money. Therefore they show stories and report on items that people want to hear about. Ergo, people do not want to hear about anti-war rallies or it would get more mention in any news source.

Two, people cannot oppose a war without opposing the troops fighting it. The two are interconnected. How do you show support for troops who fight a war that no one wants? "Way to go guys, war sucks?" That is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I was surfing the tv channels when I saw it. i remember it was an english speaking channel. They were saying that police in NY were saying that there were about 35,000 people or so in the protests. I live in Hialeah, a town close to Miami. I can't remember which channel it was.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join