It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 in NYC rally as protests gather nationwide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It was a crowd of over 100,000 as protestors from near and far gathered in New York City to protest the war in Iraq. Many wanted the removal of U.S. troops in Iraq to come home and declared the war unnecessary.

NEW YORK -- Anti-war protesters turned out nationwide Saturday to mark the first anniversary of the U.S.-led war on Iraq, with tens of thousands marching through Manhattan to call for the removal of American troops from the Middle East country.

www.newsday.com...

It appears more and more people are realizing that Bush lied about the WMD's in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
that's pretty interesting, 100,000 gather for an anti-war protest and I don't even hear about it on national news coverage.....hmmmmm....

and this happened Saturday? nothing in any newspapers here or even on our local news...and we're big on New York news down here...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
that's pretty interesting, 100,000 gather for an anti-war protest and I don't even hear about it on national news coverage.....hmmmmm....

and this happened Saturday? nothing in any newspapers here or even on our local news...and we're big on New York news down here...

Yeah, I know what you mean. So far I can't find it in any other news sources except that one. Maybe the major media are being told not to broadcast it. Maybe they're being threatened. Or maybe they don't think it's that important to announce. Who knows.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
it's a freaking conspiracy man, they don't want us to know. (sorry
for the outburst, my brain still hurts)

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe the major news networks realize that the majority of Americans do not care about an anti-war rally. Maybe they realize that the majority of Americans support the war, and would rather not hear about a bunch of what the used to call "hippies?"

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I do remember seeing headlines on the Internet over the weekend. Opposing the was seems almost fashionable these days, now that we have Saddam out of power.
But, besides WMD, there was a good reason to be there:

Cmdr. Mike Neumann, a Navy fighter pilot, said he understands why the U.S. moved to topple Saddam Hussein, "so personally I'm not going to protest it. I'm in favor of it."

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
It was a crowd of over 100,000 as protestors from near and far gathered in New York City to protest the war in Iraq. Many wanted the removal of U.S. troops in Iraq to come home and declared the war unnecessary.

NEW YORK -- Anti-war protesters turned out nationwide Saturday to mark the first anniversary of the U.S.-led war on Iraq, with tens of thousands marching through Manhattan to call for the removal of American troops from the Middle East country.

www.newsday.com...

It appears more and more people are realizing that Bush lied about the WMD's in Iraq.

I live just outside Manhattan and there were some disagreements between the actual turnout numbers on the local news. The protestor's claimed 100K and the local authorities claimed it was considerably less that 50K.

The only thing I can say for sure is that I do not remember any major traffic or transit problems on the traffic reports that day. But I did hear of the protests on the local news. I did not see it for myself, I was not downtown that day.

You can check the webistes of the local NYC affliates of NBC, ABC etc and see if there is any info there.

Hope this helps

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Maybe the major news networks realize that the majority of Americans do not care about an anti-war rally. Maybe they realize that the majority of Americans support the war, and would rather not hear about a bunch of what the used to call "hippies?"

Where'd we get this guy?

Saturday, March 20, was 'global day of action'. Many people gathered from all over the world to express opposition to war. I drove to Crawford, TX where many activists gathered along with Ralph Nader and Alex Jones. I'm happy to hear about the NYC rally turnout.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Saturday, March 20, was 'global day of action'. Many people gathered from all over the world to express opposition to war. I drove to Crawford, TX where many activists gathered along with Ralph Nader and Alex Jones. I'm happy to hear about the NYC rally turnout.

Does anyone have any idea how many people around the world actually participated in these rally's? Somehow I doubt that it was a majority.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
In Italy, I know that about 200 Italian demonstrators protested the presence of NATO and the U.S.'s sub-tender (USS Emory S. Land).

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Somehow, i don't think a few hundred thousand protestors amounts to much in a country with 285 million people.

I wonder what the Iraqi people think about people protesting the fact that they are no longer thrown into sherdding machines, gassed, rapped, or otherwise tortured and killed by the petty thugs of a madman?

but who cares right? because its all about us and how bush is such a bastard.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Dude, you are funny as hell! The war is the major topic of the world at this time so how could you say that people aren't interested in its development?

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Dude, you are funny as hell! The war is the major topic of the world at this time so how could you say that people aren't interested in its development?

The development of an anti-war rally, no I don't think that most people are interested in them. If they did then there would definately be more coverage given to it from both main stream and the not so main stream.

As it stands, none of the rallies gained any real coverage in the news.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Typical response.

Knight Ridder (Miami Herald, Detroit Free Press, San Jose Merc. News, etc..) covered it. But then again, its the best news service in the country, in my opinion.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
coolhand people are interested in anti war protest...not everyone in this country supports the war you know.

that's why it's a media conspiracy to keep the truth FROM us I tell you!!!

capiche?

[Edited on 3-24-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

coolhand people are interested in anti war protest...not everyone in this country supports the war you know.

I never said that they did.

that's why it's a media conspiracy to keep the truth us I tell you!!!

What? Can you reedit that into something that we can understand?

If it is a media conspiracy then it would extend to all parts of the media (left, right, conservative, liberal) since I have not found much in the way of in depth articles on the anti-war rallies aroung the world.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

that's why it's a media conspiracy to keep the truth us I tell you!!!

Yes, Worldwatcher, the corporate media's job is to keep us distracted and ill-informed.

Actually, the anti-war movement Bush has set off is unprecedented since the Vietnam era and anyone paying attention will note these are not your 60's and 70's era protesters. These are people from all walks of life and from all faiths. There are many veterans and military members' families participating, as well.

Nice try, Cool Hand.

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
COOL HAND, this is just for you.

www.internationalanswer.org...

New York:

San Francisco:

Los Angeles:

Chicago:

Spain:

For more information: www.internationalanswer.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Great pics, Bangin!

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Actually, the anti-war movement Bush has set off is unprecedented since the Vietnam era and anyone paying attention will note these are not your 60's and 70's era protesters. These are people from all walks of life and from all faiths. There are many veterans and military members' families participating, as well.

Nice try, Cool Hand.

Really, then where are all these people? I have yet to see one of them on my way into work every day. No one has come up to me when I am in uniform to screech at me. In fact people have come up to me and thanked me.

I doubt, very highly, that there are as many protestors now as there was during the Vietnam era. But, as always, certain people here go shooting from the mouth without the facts to back it up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join