It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC Micro Black Holes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

So, the LHC has turned on, and has circulated protons both clockwise and counterclockwise inside of its main ring. These particles, at their fastest, will get up to 7 TeVs of energy apiece, which means they’ll be moving at 99.99999898% the speed of light! To give you a feel for how close that is, the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 meters per second. In the LHC, these protons move at 299,792,454.9 meters per second. Pretty damned impressive!

provided by: startswithabang.com...

Mod edit: Removed all caps title
Mod edit: plagiarism

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 9/29/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
interesting... I read somewhere that one of these micro blackholes caused the LHC to sprung a leak and put it out of commission.

edit at add:
Your link to the external image is broken.

[edit on 27/9/08 by styxxz]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nicknak156

Brilliant post. I'd hope that this would finally make some people on here understand that it's perfectly harmless, but some people will always fear progress..

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Oh, now I see...

THAT'S how they get the bubbles in my beer !

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well, this like anything else causes peoples imagination to run wild. Things are rarely, if ever, as bad as we expect them to be.

One ofthe things that has harmed most people is television. We watch programs where magnificiently disastrous events occur and we honestly believe that is the way it happens. Most of it has no basis in reality whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nicknak156

You know....... I was with you up until you just had to add this last bit...

... with our current understanding of physics.

I was feeling all warm and fuzzy reading your fine hi-techie explanation of the LHC experiments... then you dropped the "black hole information paradox" on us. No... you didn't help allay my fears. Stop doing that!
You're creating a "void" within "something".... I'm leanin' more towards the perception of scientists as "children taking apart their toys with disastrous results when they don't know how to put 'em back together"!!!!
DON'T EVER AGAIN WRITE "with our current understanding of physics" WHEN EXPLAINING.... "STUFF"!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Most excellent video. I can't believe NOVA hasn't done this up yet. It seems benign. It seems copacetic. But I'm afraid I've watched one to many twilight zones to feel all warm and fuzzy.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Just a thought - perhaps they made up the leak story so they could ditch all the media scrutiny and perform the experiments more or less in private?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Just a thought - perhaps they made up the leak story so they could ditch all the media scrutiny and perform the experiments more or less in private?

I... I..... OK... ummm...... Ithoughtthesamething....... phew... there I said it.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by styxxz

Naw man their saying that these micro black holes are a possability. sorry man its not yet a reality

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by styxxz

You "read somewhere"...Hmm, sorry if I don't believe you.

The actual cause of the fault was a dodgy bit of soldering, which caused a quench in some of the super-cooled magnets which control the flow of particles around the ring. Nothing unusual, just a bit of a power spike due to dodgy wiring, that's all.

Problems occurred on 19 September 2008 during powering tests of the main dipole circuit, when an electrical fault in the bus between magnets caused a rupture and a leak of six tonnes of liquid helium. The operation was delayed for several months.[59] It is currently believed that a faulty electrical connection between two magnets caused an arc, which compromised the liquid-helium containment. Once the cooling layer was broken, the helium flooded the surrounding vacuum layer with sufficient force to break 10-ton magnets from their mountings. The explosion also contaminated the proton tubes with soot.[33][60]

[edit on 17/9/09 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Now this threads reappeared I can't believe no one originally pointed out the LHC hasn't collided anything yet. It's amazing how many people consider it safe simply because a test beam went round in it.

I think it's worth mentioning that even that went wrong and why do CERN need international immunity from the law. Why did they seek that out if it's so safe it's also common knowledge that all Cern Employees are under orders to lie about any risks and state it is zero risk.

Whether it's safe or not is beside the point though it's a waste of taxpayer money and when did all these government ever ask my permission or the peoples opinions in general to fund this, even Hawking himself doesn't believe they will find the Higgs as it's such a ridiculous theory.

top topics

join