It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion or spirituality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I don't know what you all think but I am in a tight spot here.

I want to follow the Hindu religion but it would be so hard to do follow it because I could only live by the teachings but I probably never could follow the religion like a normal member of the said religion. I don't believe I could because I don't live in such a place where Hinduism is widely accepted so I would have no one to practice it with.

I am finding it more easier to believe in spirituality. With spirituality I could believe in God, and, I would have access to more reading material on the spirit world that would really help me understand spirituality better. I feel that spirituality is more accessible.

I still want to follow the Hindu religion but there may come a time when I have to decide whether I should do away with religion and just stick to spirituality because I might not be in a position where I can practice it. I don't go to church or anything so I'd have to just follow the teachings and that is hard in itself really.

If it comes down to that I don't have enough time to follow a religion should I just stick to spirituality and still hold the beliefs of the said religion even if I might not be able to practice it? Or-- if I can't practice it at all-- should I just let go of the religion?

I'm not an atheist, it's just, that I find it hard to practice a religion alone. I have the time now to follow religion because I'm in my youth, I'm 19 years old, but when I'm older I might not have time to.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hi Frank.
I have read your post with interest and it is good that you want to explore your spirituality.

The first thing that i want to point out is that you are looking at this journey as a one man trip, on your own so to speak.
Its not about just following the teachings of a religion, its about asking God into your life and doing the journey together.
The spirituality comes from the heart, from within and not from your mind.

Many people just follow the teachings of a religion without having a relationship with God. A relationship takes two and is far better than going it alone. A lot of people don't know what a relationship with God is all about and think it is nonsesence.

I'm not going to go on and try to push christianity down your throat but just ask you to think hard and long before you make any decissions about where you want to go with this.

All the best
John.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
why do people CHOOSE their religion ? its beyond me
it isnt a game, it isnt a pick and choose situation, youre supposed to find out what is the truth and what is the lie

the new age group nowadays can be proven false, so why do people even join it ? because they believe blindly instead of searching out the truth. the funny thing is this is exactly what Jesus asked us to do , SEARCH for the truth, not take it blindly by faith

[edit on 28-9-2008 by DHammer]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Religion is man-made.

I don't have a religion and I have been free to explore all facets of spirituality for years now, without the constraints of any religious dogma. I don't feel that my belief system has to have a name or that I need to practice it with other people, because it's a very personal thing.

There are so many books and tapes available that explore different spiritual beliefs and I think each person must decide for themselves what they believe.

If you do feel that you want to practice or worship with other people, you may want to check out Unitarian Universalism and see if there's a congregation near you.

Good luck to you in your search.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DHammer

Oh, new agers are false, eh??? Well, considering that you are probably a war causing Christian fundamentalist, I am not surprisedthat you would say such a thing.
Honestly, what you accuse new agers of doing is what so-called "Christians" and Muslims do. New agers don't listen and wait for a pastor to tell them what to and not believe in. Thank ya.

[edit on 28-9-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

it was merely an example, a true one i believe, but it was just to prove a point

dont you agree that we ought to follow the truth instead of our beliefs ? if i make a house of stone, does it matter what you think its made of ? hardly. people ought to find out what the house is made of instead of picking that which they like best

top topics

join