It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mel Gibson's film, The Passion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A popular anecdote from the Revolutionary War notes the timely appearance of a man called "the professor." This mysterious person appears at an opportune moment as elder statesman and diplomatist, crucially soothing disagreements amongst colonial leaders. That man, "the professor," was none other than Lorenzo Ricci, Superior General of the Jesuits, as shown by Saussy in his book. Ricci, not George Washington, is the true "Father of the country."

In a contemporary sense, Saussy's views shed light on the release of Mel Gibson's film, The Passion. Gibson has done admirable work, for example in the film Conspiracy Theory. Nonetheless it should be pointed out that Gibson is connected with a far-right movement in the Roman Catholic Church which wants to restore Latin to church services. His film, The Passion, has been approved by the Roman pontiff, John Paul II. Add to this the uproar by Jews at perceived anti-semitism in Gibson's latest film, and questions come to mind.

www.shout.net...

What are your opinions on this? Do you think there is any truth in these statements?

Mr. M

ET3

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Guess I will have to wait till it comes out on DVD.

Many films are very interesting in what they depict.

AF1

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
A popular anecdote from the Revolutionary War notes the timely appearance of a man called "the professor." This mysterious person appears at an opportune moment as elder statesman and diplomatist, crucially soothing disagreements amongst colonial leaders. That man, "the professor," was none other than Lorenzo Ricci, Superior General of the Jesuits, as shown by Saussy in his book. Ricci, not George Washington, is the true "Father of the country."

Lorenzo Ricci died in 1775. I highly doubt that he influenced anything that occured in the colonies. Especially since the last two years of his life he was locked away.

, until 23 Sept., 1773, when he was removed to the Castle of Sant' Angelo, where he was held in strict captivity for the remaining two years of his life. The surveillance was so severe that he did not learn of the death of his secretary Cornolli, imprisoned with him and in his vicinity, until six months after the event

www.newadvent.org...

That's only one thing thats wrong.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Anti-semetism? Please! This is such a myth of complete ignorance. The movie has done nothing to create anything like that. In fact, a survey done by a JEWISH organization found that the movie has made more people LESS anti-semetic.
So there!

Come on, think about it. "Oh know! It shows Jews killing Jesus!" So what? Who was Jesus and His followers? They were Jews too! So it's not that Jewish people are evil or anything. It's also simple fact and historical truth that this happened. Do people want to just ignore what happened? Look, Africans or Scottish, or Indians or Eskimos or Mongols didn't order the crucifixion. What is the movie supposed to show? Lies? Well then maybe we shouldn't make any more movies about Nazi Germany or slavery in America, because it might "create hate." Come on, every different culture/nation in the history of the world, if you trace back enough, is guilty of some wrong. Besides, Jesus arose again. So He's not dead! So how can there be controversy about someone being dead, when he's not!? Christians today aren't the ignorant uneducated lower class of past eras where they were spoon fed propaganda by power-corrupt leaders which is what lead to violence on the christian behalf. People just need to calm down about this movie. It has done more good than anything harmful. It's not even a valid issue anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I didn't find this movie anti-semitic at all. What I did find it was sadistic. I don't really couldn't give two #s whether this was how it actually happened (which besides, there is no way a human could lose that much blood and have that much muscle tissue exposed and still be able to walk). The film just shows a guy being beat up. The peaceful messages of Christ are completely lost on the film, and as someone who deeply admires those teachings, I found the film offensive in the highest. It was gut wrenching to watch and not life affirming in the slightest, which is what I imagine any move about Christ should be.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
When I read in the News yesterday that "Dawn Of The Dead" finally unseated "The Passion" at the box-office, something tingled deep inside of me. Does that make me a bad person?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i dont know.

does it?

imean whats with this age of darkness anyway?

is it really a thrill to pride ones self as a sinister outcast?

im not talkingabout the person above me with the outcast makup on, but just dark people in general.

why is it like this?

peace

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Cassie, is that really you in your avatar?

Mr. M

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well, I don't know wether my opinion counts for anything, but before I repented I was part of Neo-Nazi group. And I can honestly say there was no anti-semetic undertones of any sort.

I think the jews just feel they have enough enemies already and they are afraid of making more umong the predominantly "Christian" countries.

As for Dark poeple, I really have no idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have a question about this movie.

Who is the "being" in the black cape that says "No man can bare the sins of all men" at the begining of the movie, and then is there throughout the whole movie?

I have never read the Bible, and am curious. So curious I have desided to start my "religion adventure" and read about all the religions that intrest me.

Anything that would help me now would be great, thanks.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty
I have a question about this movie.

Who is the "being" in the black cape that says "No man can bare the sins of all men" at the begining of the movie, and then is there throughout the whole movie?

I have never read the Bible, and am curious. So curious I have desided to start my "religion adventure" and read about all the religions that intrest me.

Anything that would help me now would be great, thanks.

That person is Satan my friend

its a lady who plays Satan in the film.

I didn't find the film anti-semtic, i found it very emotional. The scenes with Mary made me cry

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Is Satan supposes to be a women? Or is that just the look they were going for in the movie?

I always assumed that Satan was a male, any reason that they used a female as Satan in this movie?

Are there any other things in this movie that are not the same as the Bible? Other that the contravercy of the Jews turning Jesus in.

new topics

top topics

join