It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Good An Argument.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Does anyone feel like that some threads have too good an argument?

Just curious because i've seen many where a lot of time and effort has gone into it they have plenty of source material n that type of thing;yet there is very little response from members and some get ignored altogether.

Sometimes it seems as if members have to dumb down their topic or deliberately make it provocative just to get attention or,in some cases,the response they deserve.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If I find a thread I feel has been pretty comprehensive on it's information, I generally add it to bookmarks. It's good for reference. Since one liners aren't really allowed, I don't post a reply since there's not much to add.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If its an argument i agree with then i'll post at least once to say good job or something.

But it seems that some who are against a topic/argument are almost too afraid to post anything.

Have they been defeated intellectually at the 1st hurdle?

Possibly,that is the case.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
In my case I'll often not post any replys due to the fact that I don't really have anything to contribute. The bases are covered, the arguments are sound, there may be a number of replys that are equally well thought out and cover everything else. Sometimes it's simply a lackage of knowledge on my part. I sorta view those threads as a learning experience in and among themselves.

In essence I hate to be a waste of bandwidth at times.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Without shame for self promotion, would this be a good example of what you are saying: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What if we pull a "Myth Busters" and provide a logical, thought provoking "fact" tab/button, where we host small wikis about undisputable evidence?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Good example, SDog, and I flagged that one

Maybe the Research Forum would be a good repository for this sort of post, where a huge amount of research and effort has been assembled to bring to light a conspiracy or other sort of issue. I haven't done a lot of exploring in the Research Forum, but my impression is that it doesn't live up to its initial promise.

I agree with pretty much all that's been said here: some posts are really well presented, and provide important information, but there's not much that can be added. All I can do is flag and star, but if they don't get enough flags fast enough, they fall down the lists and not enough people get to see them.

drsmooth23 -- since I've never seen "Myth Busters", I'm not sure what you're referring to. But I do think it would be nice for people who write these research-oriented posts to add some of them to TinWiki. It would mean taking out some of the opinion side of the pieces, and maybe breaking them down a little, but as an example, I think parts of SDog's Florida election counts thread could be summarized for TinWiki -- the companies who provide voting machines, for example. I think there's already a 2000 election article, and a "hanging chad" article, but there's probably additional stuff that could be added.

jakyll -- I think you've definitely identified an area in which ATS could improve and be of more service to its members and readers

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I need to read more on the tinwiki. i have yet to search it much

good call cause im fairly new to the site but a long time reader and i have noticed one thing:

more than one post will result in more viewings. the first thread i ever posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

made it to the "Active New Threads" for like half a day before it was drowned out by economic turmoil pieces. if you notice the first few posts i kind of interject but SOMEHOW it was able to generate "press"

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
Good example, SDog, and I flagged that one

drsmooth23 -- since I've never seen "Myth Busters", I'm not sure what you're referring to.

haha i forget not everyone here is a nerd like me who has nothing better to do than scower the web for info bitz.

MythBusters is a popular science television program originally for the Discovery Channel in the United States. they "bust Myths".

video.google.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

I say look at it like this and take it like this. If you post a thread or come across a thread with little or no replies either A.) It's sound all the way through and no one has found anything wrong with it. B.) No one understands it, or C.) It's so ridiculous, old and rehashed that no one wants to spend time on it anymore.

If there's a D or an E, go ahead. (posted at a time when a lot of members weren't awake so it was missed etc.)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

my big thread started off extremely simple and built from there. i added the data as the readership showed interest. this is probably a learned skill from homeschooling my kids. first you make sure they're interested in the angle, then you make sure they are prepared for the new data, and finally, you present it in various ways -- imagery, music, text, mix'n' match, as some folks simply will not read unless there's some visual data to grab their attention.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
schrodingers dog

Without shame for self promotion, would this be a good example of what you are saying:

I don't mind shameless self promotion,i do it all the time.

And yeas,thats a good example of what i mean.

americandingbat

I think you've definitely identified an area in which ATS could improve and be of more service to its members and readers

Thanks.Its a shame to see hard work go unrewarded and to have good ideas turn into a kinda gutter press debate.

undo

my big thread started off extremely simple and built from there. i added the data as the readership showed interest. this is probably a learned skill from homeschooling my kids. first you make sure they're interested in the angle, then you make sure they are prepared for the new data, and finally, you present it in various ways -- imagery, music, text, mix'n' match, as some folks simply will not read unless there's some visual data to grab their attention.

Good way to go about it.You'll have to start a lesson thread

top topics

join