It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blame It On The Christians....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Be you Christian or Jew,are you to blame for the evil that befalls you?

This is a serious question prompted by my reading of the scriptures.

Throughout the OT/Tanakh the destructions,wars etc that the Hebrews face is caused by their own sin,their own transgression of God's covenants and their own lack of faith.

There are countless verses on this matter.For example,in Joshua Ch 7,just one man's sin brought disaster to 1000's people.

So,does this mean that an unbelievers sin has no effect on a believer?

The abundance of evidence tells us,yes.Even if some wicked/evil event touches a believers life,it is because he/she or another believer has sinned,not because the perpatrator is a sinner

Does this also mean that,even though the scriptures are to be spread throughout the world,that maybe those of the Jewish and Christian faiths should spend more time worrying about their own followers than worrying about the sins and evils committed by non-believers??

[edit on 26-9-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Apologies,this is obviously in the wrong forum,i am trying to get it moved.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Hm. This is an in depth discussion and can work both ways. Under the Old Testament, yes. The bad apple spoiled the bunch. One person's sin could cause the entire nation to come under judgment. There are many examples in the OT showing such a thing. In this NT age of grace, the effects don't come as quickly.

However, there are still references in the form of prophecy that show how a bad 'king' can still cause his entire nation of people to fall- both the righteous and unrighteous. The specific prophecy I'm thinking of is the one who attempts to divide the land of Israel in the last days. I do believe America is coming under judgment because of Bush's Israel-Palestine peace plan that will require Israel to forfeit some of its land to Palestine in order to build two nations. So that is one example of people suffering for the choices of their leader even in NT times.

On the other hand, we see examples where it is not the case and that believers are not held responsible for the nonbeliever's actions. For instance, in the parable of the sower, the responsibility is laid on the recipient of the Word and not the sower. Also, Christians are told to completely separate ourselves from the ungodly. This could possibly be a dual warning. In one sense it is so the ungodly will not influence our walk and at the same time so it does not bring judgment on us by association.

Not sure. it is pretty mixed. However, I definitely see it being a much larger issue in the OT law covenant versus the NT grace covenant.

new topics

join