It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying Ignorance when Ignorance is Bliss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This dilemma has had me bewildered for most of my time here on this little spinning wet rock we fondly call Earth.

In this perennial inquiry of mine, as well as many others, i have found an effective approach to getting to the heart of a matter, is to bring into focus it's polarities.

Flipping "Ignorance is Bliss" on its head; we consider how much misery ignorance causes, not only for the ignorant but also for anyone directly or indirectly influence by the ignorant.

Which leads me to "Deny Ignorance", now if we are successful in doing, we avoid unnecessary misery but there is a catch, seldom are we successful in raising people's awareness... the process is daunting, exhausting and frustrating and after a long battle can leave you feeling very hopeless... or for lack of a better word "misery". In turn champions the premise of "Ignorance is Bliss"... for if you "hear no evil, speak no evil and see no evil" ... evil doesn't exist. As the saying goes "Out of sight out of mind".

Whether we are willfully ignorant or not, most of us know better or should know better
"...you’re either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem."

Now in the event that one is successful in raising awareness, the pay off is very rewarding. Knowing that you have made a lasting worthwhile contribution to someones life and all those lives they touch. This could be what Joseph Campbell was referring to when he said "Follow your Bliss". Though i think this may only apply to those who really care about other people... devoting their lives to raise the character of humanity.

So... is ignorance truly bliss... or misery?

Does the proverbial "truth shall set you free" lead to bliss or just more misery?

By "Denying Ignorance when Ignorance is Bliss" are we not in essence "Denying Bliss"?

Maybe the answer varies depending on the perspective and situation?

[edit on 26-9-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yin Yan
it's all about balance on this wet little rock - LMAO
I seriously tell everyone
"Ignorance is the root of all evil!"

I then leave people ponder this thought until they say hang on a second, isn't it ignorance is bliss? I say yes but that is so far from true and then I usually get a somewhat intellectually stimulating converstaion for about 5 minutes - or until the person walks away more confused than Michael Jackson's parents! LOL

So in answer to your somewhat retorical question,

Ignorance is the ROOT of all Evil!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well put and maybe that is the key to unlocking the underlining cause for people to associating money as the root of all evil. That it is the use of money with ignorance that caused so many problems in the world.

Much like you can't blame a gun for killing, it may have assisted you in killing but it doesn't shot unless someone pulls the trigger.

I suppose the same could be said for drugs (alcohol included), no one gets hurt until someone ignorant is under the influence.

While were at it... note how many people who have the right to vote... who should vote but don't and those who shouldn't vote but do vote.

The more i apply this point of view or your... it fits, you may have just nailed it on the head. "Ignorance is the Root of all EVIL" ... maybe that's The Angle, that Lewis Black should cover on his show.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
seldom are we successful in raising people's awareness... the process is daunting, exhausting and frustrating and after a long battle can leave you feeling very hopeless... or for lack of a better word "misery".

Be strong, keep trying, and remember that the reward isn't only for you, it is for others too who we can enlighten. Even when we can't see it or realise it.

In hundreds of posts it may only be possible to reveal a few truths to a few people, but the power and energy it can create in individual or multiple individuals is priceless! Sparking ideas, causing chain reactions and the opportunity for an endless sharing of knowledge should be some of the real prizes, not pats on the back and recognition. What people do with that knowledge is up to them, but we can keep on helping them see by switching on lights, opening doors and even ripping the odd roof off!

I like to share what I think regardless of responses. It's not stars, it's not applause and it's not flags.....it's possibilities.

And ignorance can never be bliss if the mind has to question itself.

Ask the right questions and ignorance must hear it's own answer.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thank you for your warm supportive words nerbot... most appreciated.

You must have picked up on my despair.

Though i think the frustration level is much higher when it comes to heavier deeper topics. Regardless, your point is well taken... i too believe in possibilities and should make more of an effort to see the silver-lining in the rain clouds, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think Ignorance should be classified into two sections.

1.) Innocent Ignorance (Honestly not knowing any better, or being too naiive to understand/see the big picture or the reality)

and

2.) Knowing Ignorance (Knowing better, but choosing to stay in that realm of "i don't know" because it's comfortable, or we don't want to face the truth.)

I think the statement "Ignorance is Bliss" could be applied to the first definition of Ignorance - being innocent. A child isn't always aware of the world around them. The dangers of the world. In that sense, Ignorance is Bliss. They are uncorrupted from the cruel world we live in.

Ignorance is Bliss, should not apply to the second defnition, as that then becomes a form of denial. Denying that there is anything wrong. Denying the truth.

Ignorance is Bliss, when you don't know any better, and are pure from the curse that comes with Knowledge...Ignoring that Knowledge, is not Bliss - that is plain Ignorance.

Just a thought ..

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I love the break down. These distinctions you've made get more at the heart of the matter. Makes me think that there may be others to be made.

A possible 3rd type, which may just be the most insidious. Are those who go well beyond your proposed 2nd type. Not only are they willfully ignorant but they push others around them to be the same. These are some of the most hypocritical, damaging to themselves and others in their preaching of ignorance. A prime case in point, Ted Haggard.

Though you could say that there is a fine line between ignorance and lies in this case. But maybe it's fair to say, in any case when you are in denial you are essentially lying to yourself... deceiving yourself to the point of believing.

In this state of mind, even if it's temporary, can yield "ignorance as bliss"?

[edit on 8-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
...or maybe this quote sums up another distinction/section that should be made:

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact than a drunken man is happier than a sober one”
~George Bernard Shaw

Belief as a state of ignorance, made by either indoctrination at a young age or chosen for reasons other then to consciously avoid uncomfortable thoughts/feelings.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It's been a couple months since i have given this any further thought, and it occurred to me that there are many active members of ATS who pride themselves on "ignorance is bliss" while believing that they are in some way "denying ignorance".

I find these sorts of people very counter-productive in their hypocritical stance. Always advocating censorship and encouraging people to ignore the facts/reality. I don't see how these people find a home here, let alone in some cases filling a mod position.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by The All Seeing I]

new topics

top topics

join