It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Agrees To Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

McCain Agrees To Debate

www.newsobserver.com

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer Comment on this story
WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain agreed to attend the first presidential debate Friday night even though Congress doesn't have a bailout deal, reversing an earlier decision to delay the forum until Washington had addressed the financial crisis.

With less than 10 hours until the debate was scheduled to start, the McCain campaign announced that the Arizona senator would travel to the University of Mississippi. The campaign said that afterward McCain would fly back to Washington to continue working on the economic crisis.

The campaign's statement said McCain is optimistic that there has been progress toward a bipartisan agreement. But earlier in the week, McCain said he would delay the debate "until we have taken action to address this crisis."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
After being deeply criticized for his involvement in the Bailout negotiations, McCain is now heading South.

It was a different position than McCain had taken Wednesday, when he announced, "I'm directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the Commission on Presidential Debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis."

www.newsobserver.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

"The time is now for House Republicans to come to the negotiating table and for presidential politics to leave the negotiating table," Harry Reid, the Democratic Senate leader, told reporters today.

"The insertion of presidential politics has not been helpful. It has been harmful."

Members of Congress are meeting behind closed doors today with an eye to crafting a financial pact that can attract votes from enough Democrats and Republicans to pass.

But McCain's appearance yesterday at the White House - where he reportedly gave a nod to an alternative, tax-cutting plan devised by conservatives in the House of Representatives - continues to roil the process.

emphasis added

Source

[edit on 26-9-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yes. Tax cuts...like the capital gains tax to zero. GREAT IDEA!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think he's stocking up for next summer.

I hear the flip flop is coming back to the Republican closet!
Every repub needs to grab a pair now . O'l jonny boy is buying the lot!1

[edit on 26-9-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Agrees and wins! this very morning! hours before they even take to the lecterns! impressive!

[edit on 26-9-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Thank you Plucky! I was just about to put that up!

Is the McCain campaign in chaos, or is it just me?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The Debate will begin at 9 p.m. Eastern Time

1. First Presidential Debate:
Date: September 26 – Site: University of Mississippi – Topic: Foreign Policy & National Security – Moderator: Jim Lehrer – Staging: Podium debate – Answer Format: The debate will be broken into nine, 9-minute segments. The moderator will introduce a topic and allow each candidate 2 minutes to comment. After these initial answers, the moderator will facilitate an open discussion of the topic for the remaining 5 minutes, ensuring that both candidates receive an equal amount of time to comment

source

Anyone want to bet that a little domestic economic policy enters the debate even if the segue is the foreign banks inclusion in the bailout? Pass the popcorn. (rhetorical question since Wall Street is taking all my money)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Let us all not forget that in reality, the Democrat Congress already has all the votes to pass anything it wants, so this bill should have sailed through to the President who wants it.

So why do they want Repubs to put the pen to the paper and bless the deal..?

So when this thing blows up in everyone's face as the failure it will be, there can be "plausible denial" as to who's fault it really is.

I don't blame McCain for coming back to debate. The Democrats are taking their time giving it to the American people in order to socialize the entire free market system. I would not want to be a part of that.

I say, let the banks fail. The economy will reset itself and move on...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I read somewhere today that the moderator will include some questions about the economy , even though the debate was originally set to discuss foreign policy. It would of been farcical if the herd of elephants in the room was not addressed.
Strange days have found us .

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Not the best 48 hours for McCain. Let's see:

*Suspends campaign to fix the "cratering" economy as poll numbers also crater
*Dumps Letterman with that alibi but runs over to be interviewed by Couric, raising Dave's Late Night ire that ends up circulating all over YouTube
*Finally gets to Washington to be part of a stillbirth
*Resumes campaign next day with nothing resolved

This is totally scattershot and looks like a series of opportunistic decisions made on the fly. I'm frankly surprised by the ineptitude and the blindness to how these moves were going to be perceived "out there."

The debate will be interesting.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

So that's why McCain didn't want to go to the debate!

He feels like he already won it!

No need to go!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What's going to be really sad is when McCain spins it like he did make an effort to help our 'financial crisis', and then people believe it.

In fact, I bet it was always the plan to "delay" the debates only to un-delay it the day of.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I know what you mean. I was just thinking a little while ago, as I was watching the news from Washington, that this is like watching a play whose script was written long ago. The headline on television at the time was WaMu: Proof of the Financial Crisis.

Proof....mmmm. The use of that term reminded me of how elected officials ALLOW things to become a crisis before they act. It is intentional. If you don't buy into that I would suggest working in politics for awhile. There is a shared belief that without a crisis, the public will have no will to act. The truth is that without a crisis there may not be blind trust that can be exploited towards a solution already chosen for its myriad of benefits to a number of key players. Proof....Makes you wonder how real the crisis really is. I've heard you can make numbers say anything you want.....just asking.

Who are they convincing us or themselves? Proof. It will be interesting to watch the debate tonight...although I'm not so sure we aren't watching ACT II with ACT III already cast.

top topics

join