It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

You are entitled to your opinion, but the American public will not like a President who can only take it and not dish it out. Do you want another Jimmy Carter for President?

Say what you will, McCain's comment got a rise out of the audience if memory serves me right. He deserved to be lambasted for his pseudo Presidential Seal. Obama was a little too arrogant with that Seal for my taste, and other's it seems.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

That poll is of MSNBC viewers. MSNBC viewers are very liberal, I'm suprised McCain's ratings are so high on both CNN and MSNBC's online polls, considering how liberal the readers/viewers of both networks are. Anybody who can put up with Keith Olbermann is CLEARLY a Democrat.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

First, I'm not a new member. I've been here since July.
“I wonder because you articulate the same ad homenim type arguments against Obama, seem very passionate that Obama is evil.”
Second, if you read my post, I said I was wanting O to be a front runner after the debate, but now I'm frazzled. I was implying that I have not made a clear decision on who I'm going to vote for, but favored O (no evil motive here).
Third, I was not trying to argue anything. I was not attacking their views. I was making an observation of their performances, which does led to an opinion; however, other’s may have viewed the same Obama /McCain exchanges from a different perspective and come to a different conclusion. I’m open to hearing what other people think about how Obama seemed (from my POV) to talk more than McCain.
And, I’m not Jamie or Jam or anyone other than Pamie, even if they rhyme. Yeah, I’d be embarrassed by that faulty logic, but since you fessed up, I’ll look the other way.

Edited to say: to be fair, I thought McCain's smug, little smiles became disrespectful.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Pamie]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
In my opinion Obama was more presidential and spoke more truth than McCain. It felt like every time McCain said something he uttered at least one lie and focused too much on Obama. He didn't focus on the issues and didn't give clear answers to most questions, something the voters are looking for at this critical moment.

Obama really could have gone after McCain but he didn't. I'm not sure why he held back, maybe he is saving his ammunition for a debate closer to the election. One bonus for McCain is that he didn't seem his usual bumbling idiot self. I was kinda surprised, they must have given him modafinil or something before the debate.

Obama wins but only slightly which is actually very bad for McCain because he was supposed to have such an advantage with all his foreign policy experience. What Obama showed is that he can keep up with McCain and is willing to try this strange thing called diplomacy and actually attempt to restore Americas world perception to its once glorious state.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
At the end of the day, or the beginning of a new one,

do you wonder if maybe a representative democracy is really the answer? Do you wonder if in the "information age" it may be time to graduate to a truer democracy? With the world, or at least the www at our fingertips, should there be a fundamental shift in how we govern to include the informed input of the many? Technology makes it possible.

This thread begs the question. But then again, Jerry Springer (not the Springer from ATS) reminds us every day, why we don't have world peace.

I get this vision all the time, of kitchen tables (literally) lining the borders of every country around the world. And I think, if we could just all sit down together, break bread with one another, couldn't we find common ground? Couldn't we find a place to start? Couldn't we find some principles or ideals which we all hold dear from which to conceive a new....a new what?.....a new way of dealing with one another?

Whenever I hear the words foreign policy, it creates such a feeling of animosity and turmoil and we they mentality. Every mother and every father looks at their child through whatever veil of language and culture and loves that being. We, in all our sentient abilities, cannot find a way to live, love and heal one another to become one world, separate, but, perchance, with common human goals.

Debates remind me of how far apart we are. Debates remind me that as a world we need strategies and offensives to deal with one another. Is this as good as we get as a species?

Must be late night mind mutterings of the ever hopeful kicking in. I pray that someday we can discuss what binds us rather than what separates us. Thats what this debate was - a reminder of how far we have yet to go.

Washington is such a mess....I say send them all. Let them be the laborers of a truer democracy made possible by the accomplishments of the human mind. Or....I just say goodnight all fellow ATSers. You have been a safe haven in a world gone mad. A source of light in shadows. A reminder that we have no locations (most of us) only a belief that understanding is spreadable.

You are right. Thank you to all for a shared journey. May we arrive - somehow - together.

Peace
DWW

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dollar Bill
Unbiased Drudge report poll shows
McCain 68%
"o" 29%...
drudgereport.com
I still think McCain 75%
"o" 25%

We`ll see tomorrow...

Unbiased DRUDGE report.

THATS like saying CONSERVATIVE ACLU

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
OK, after hearing the first part of the debate, I have to agree with some other posters that Obama had little to say in the way of specifics when asked what he might have to give up as President due to the economy. But McCain's suggestion of a freeze on government expenditures seemed to be a spur-of-the-moment idea and he listed several agencies that would not be cut (even ending the list with unspecified "other" agencies). So I can't say he struck me as better on that question.

Neither candidate really got my attention with their responses on the economy, save McCain's 'pledge' to not socialize medicine (which I support, and was one of my largest arguments with Hillary).

My initial impression of McCain's condescension stands, even after hearing the entire debate. I still feel Obama wins by an edge, but a bit smaller edge than I originally thought.

I should also mention that McCain's tactic these last days of trying to postpone this debate has seriously hurt my opinion of him, as has the campaign's apparent refusal to allow media access to Palin. Much more so than anything that was said in this debate. I now lean Obama more than I have thus far, for that those simple reasons. I despise dis-ingenuousness, especially in a 'leader'.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
The CNN polls are much closer. Has Obama as the winner, but much closer than MSNBC.

elections.foxnews.com...

THIS poll FOX, POLL has 51%>49%

O on top

AND thats fox...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
McCain: The President should not announce who they are going to attack...

Obama: Weren't you the one singing songs about bombing Iran?

Me: Epic Lulz.

[edit on 9/27/2008 by Spoodily]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Eh the debate was a partisan pissing contest.

No one really screwed up and both sides are claiming that their side won.

The only thing that struck me in the debate other than the blandness was that McCain was better at speaking over Obama when both sides tried to interrupt each other.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I watched the debate and then watched the taped interview of the next Prime Minister of the UK, on Sky News...

What a sad and sorry state America is in...
Neither of those two candidates would have the class to even shine the shoes of the next British Prime Minister.

Both are weak, have no clue about any major issue, and limit their line of thought to sound bites. If hadn't seen they where human, I would of thought of them as two Pavlov's Dogs...(Who is Pavlov, in this election?)

How do you vote, when you don't really have a good option, better, when both options are so bad???

As for the so called debate

That means an F, for both candidates, and for the whole American Political System, a bib fat F...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Um Obama just had to make sure McCain didn't knock it out of the park, this was supposed to be McCain strongest debate, it's gonna go downhill for McCain if Obama learned his lessons.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

After the last two weeks, McCain walked into this debate much weaker than Obama.

Obama should have been able to CRUSH McCain.

That didn't happen.

Once again, Obama fails to close the deal.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
McCain: The President should not announce who they are going to attack...

Obama: Weren't you the one singing songs about bombing Iran?

Me: Epic Lulz.

There is a major difference between those two subjects, and I was actually hoping McCain would have mentioned it. Iran and North Korea are Enemy States, Pakistan is an Ally. Stating the possibility of a strategic attack against an enemy is common-placed rhetoric, and is in fact something most Americans discuss at the very least. However, publicly suggesting an attack on an ally is downright disturbing. Enemy States expect for you to toss threats at them, but what is an Ally supposed to assume when you lob one at them? That is the point McCain was attempting to make.

On a similar note, say you threaten to do harm to a person who threatened your family. That would be an expected and accepted reaction, would it not? However, how random and disturbing would it be if one day you just told your best friend that you plan on shooting them in the head? Do you see what I am getting at?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Are you serious? My whole point is Foreign Policy is supposed to be John McCains strongest subject. And both managed to get the other flustered, although I admit McCain barely won. With the last debate about the Economy, if Obama can sell people on his tax the rich plan he'll have it locked up.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

And Fox News is the Official news network of the Republican Party, so is this really surprising????

Fox News is a lot more "Fair and Balanced" than the other Networks though. Lol I know you could assume it is nothing more than a cliche, but seriously, where else do you find so many panels, guests, and hosts representing every side of the spectrum? MSNBC used to be Moderate, but now even CNN has bested them in terms of equality. What is the world coming to when CNN is no longer the farthest left Network around?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I was just paraphrasing what was actually said during the debate. I laughed hard.

Edit: Pakistan needs to chill out though. If they have nothing to hide they'll let us do our thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

More than a third of the debate was on domestic policy-- the first third. I can think of no greater advantage or opportunity for Obama, and yet, he missed it completely.

Not good for Obama.

Like I said earlier, his face said it all when he went to Michelle Obama. He knew he did not do as well as he should have. It was clearly written there on his face.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Obama did awesome. I liked everything he said. He agreed with McCain on things and corrected him on others.

McCain let out a few f-me chuckles, I thought that was funny.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by djpaec

How is foreign policy McCain's strongest position when almost everyone has a negative view on the Iraq War?

All Obama has to harp on is that he was against the war from the beginning and McCain voted yes. In fact that is the only subject in the past 9 months that I heard Obama talk about without any stuttering. I am surprised that Obama didn't nail McCain every way to Saturday, he should have easily won tonight with no questions.

I think the domestic policy might be dangerous for Obama. MCain had a few opportunities tonight to nail Obama but for some reason he laid off.

I guess I'll find out the next debate.

BTW

I noticed that Obama kept making signals to the crowd. Is Michelle running his show or something?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join