It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The CNN polls are much closer. Has Obama as the winner, but much closer than MSNBC.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Its best to let the experts decide who won.

Why can't we decide who won all on our own?

Don't know about you, but I am going into the voting booth in November all by myself.....

The experts find out what we decide. The news outlet polls are the equivalent of letting a kite flier fly a F-22 with no training.

As mentioned, the Gallup numbers will be a representative and somewhat accurate number. These guys do it by the book and with statistical accuracy.

Partially my fault for not elaborating on that part.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

And Fox News is the Official news network of the Republican Party, so is this really surprising????

link   
Given that the President of the USA is little more than just a figurehead, I think Obama was much more articulate and sympathetic that McCain, who came off as patronizing and a bit nasty.

I think the issues really don't matter. The USA president doesn't have any real power anyway, or so I contend here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

#

It is very interesting to review this thread.

link   
I also like the little zinger McCain launched about not having his own Seal. Totally skewered Obama with that barb. I think it actually got one of the few rises out of the audience if I remember correctly.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by davion

I have a feeling they will keep Palin under wraps till the debate.....it won't give Biden much to work off of in practice. Who is the moderator for that debate BTW? I think Palin is going to surprise quite a few people in a positive way with their debate. I wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating her, plus Biden will have a hard time attacking her without looking like he is beating up on her. I don't think Mr. Ego can pull off a subtle debate, but maybe he will surprise me too.

Well if the Katie Couric interview is any indicator of how she handles questions, especially tough questions, then I am more inclined to say they are hiding her because they don't want her to say anything that will jeopardize any ground they've gained. I think that this is also apparent in the fact that she hasn't really been "allowed" to talk to the press or reporters, to the point that some media outlets refused to air anything about her because her entourage wouldn't let the press talk to her.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The experts find out what we decide.

I understand what you mean, but we all saw the debate (at least those of us who are commenting on this thread). I can decipher what each one said without having to depend on media commentators and/or polls. And, I hope that other people can do the same.

Especially the ones that vote.

One of the things wrong with this country right now is that too many people depend on what they see on TV to mold their views on our country and our world.

In my opinion, if someone watched that debate and could not form their own opinion of who won or lost or what to think on their own (without the influence of media polls or commentary from a talking head on television), they have no business voting.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

I concur about the powers. A good example is what is happening with the current crisis. All bush can do is asked. then he has to wait...wait...wait some more....zzzzzzzzzz...wait

But I guess we need to pick somebody to blame for the next 4 years.

I disagree on the way you describe McCain. But that is the same reason we debate. Because everybody has their own opinion about what they saw and heard.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I didn't get to see all of this debate, but I did see the last part of it. From that part, I saw McCain as doing fairly well, but still regurgitating his tired old "I've been there, so I know what to do" or "Senator Obama just doesn't understand" lines. Obama did cut in a few times (or tried to), in order to correct what he said was a misstatement on McCain's part, but McCain also talked right over him Obama even after Obama had waited until a pause to get in his correction.

In short, I saw McCain as condescending and Obama as patient and respectful. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

As to the positions, I heard nothing supporting McCain's views except the "I've been there" line. Obama seemed to have more details and evidence to support his positions. I also liked the fact he would be more open to some diplomatic exchange than McCain.

CNN just aired a poll that said McCain eased out a victory. I doubt any of these polls are worth their air time. My internal poll of rednecks typing this post have Obama as edging out a win.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pamie
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

O is known to be wordy, so McCain let him blah, blah, blah, and then he’d come in with a concise response. I have to say, I wanted O to rise and become a clear front runner, but I’m more frazzled now than before the debate.

I just have to ask: Are you the same person as Jamie83, and / or Jam123? I wonder because you articulate the same ad homenim type arguments against Obama, seem very passionate that Obama is evil. And your names rhyme. Seems kind of strange. And you are a new member -- no big deal -- just wondering.

Maybe it is just that people select screen names that rhyme with "lamie" like to indulge in characterizations.

Edit: I know, I am engaging in an ad homenim attack here as well. Guilty of what I am accusing you of. I stand corrected and am embarrassed.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Another thing I noticed goes to the character of the Candidates themselves. McCain kept belittling Obama with digs like constantly calling him niave and that 'he just doesn't get it', then the comment about 'on the job training'. Obama did not do this. I think this reflects well on his character. Just my .02 worth.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

LOL...I have heard that too about FOX. But for being a Republican channel they sure do have a lot of Democrats tuning in to see what is being said about them.

Just an observation. By the way thanks for clarifying about the graph though I have a different opinion of silent majority.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I understand what you mean, but we all saw the debate (at least those of us who are commenting on this thread). I can decipher what each one said without having to depend on media commentators and/or polls. And, I hope that other people can do the same.

One of the things wrong with this country right now is that too many people depend on what they see on TV to mold their views on our country and our world.

In my opinion, if someone watched that debate and could not form their own opinion of who won or lost or what to think on their own (without the influence of media polls or commentary from a talking head on television), they have no business voting.

WE are all entitled to personal opinion. But the reality is, unless we are put together in that represented sample, it doesn't matter what we think.

People don't care what me and you say, they care what the polls say (unfortunately). Of course on a personal level it doesnt matter, but thats besides the point.

I said it already, both candidates do well in my opinion. Being a McCain supporter I will admit Obama did better than expected, but not enough to win him the election.

It's safe to say im just against the media polls BIG TIME. Hence mentioning the experts.

Hopefully the upcoming debates will be more interesting.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

In a day or two FactCheck.org and other websites will analyze this debate and we'll be able to see what they lied about and what they stretched and what they were correct on. It's already apparent from searching that website that McCain's comment that Obama's stance on terrorism and Republican Guard is false.

I wish more people in the country would use a computer or do research and check into what these politicians are saying, because then it'd be a bit harder to herd the population through emotion or talking out of the side of your mouth.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Zingers? I am not voting for the most sarcastic or cleverly insulting leader, I want the most informed, intelligent, empathetic leader. Fluff and insults do not impress me. If we truly voting for who "got the best" of the other guy, I truly weep for our country.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion

I wish more people in the country would use a computer or do research and check into what these politicians are saying, because then it'd be a bit harder to herd the population through emotion or talking out of the side of your mouth.

You couldn't have said it any better. I used to be a B.O. supporter but after a project that forced me to do research, I learned a lot.

Both candidates made a handful of lies. I tried keeping count but got distracted. Can't wait for fact check to come out on it.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

yes, they both lied. That's politics. Twist the facts to your advantage. Guess one day we will realize that this election is won on who you like not the issues. Why do you think they spend so much time trying to get their people out to get minorities and low income families registered to vote. It is easier to persuade these people to vote for a certain candidate. Ask them when you see them at the poll. Most of them don't even know what the candidates are about.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
CNN is re-airing the debate starting right now, in case anyone missed it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Unbiased Drudge report poll shows
McCain 68%
"o" 29%...
drudgereport.com
I still think McCain 75%
"o" 25%

We`ll see tomorrow...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

How many people who are going to vote in November are really going to take the time to do the research on FactCheck? 2%? 5%? 10%?

The majority aren't going to do that.....they are going to spend their time watching Dancing with the Stars or watching college football. Nothing wrong with college football.....hell, it's a religion down here in the South for a lot of folks.

Whether we like it or not, the majority of the voting public, and the public in general, puts way TOO much stock in what the media says. They let the media make up their minds for them (in a lot of ways). And, it's sad....it's sad that the media says something, people take it as the gospel, and the result is that most of the general public is ill informed on 90% of what is going on in this world today.

IMO, before anyone casts a vote in this or any other country, they need to research what and/or who they are voting for. Things would get better in a hurry if people made up their own minds instead of depending on others to do it for them.

Media analysis and polls are fine and good.....but they shouldn't be any individual's deciding factor in ANYTHING.

We were all given a brain and the potential for intelligence and common sense. If we ever use it, it should be when we are making decisions on who to vote for to run the country we live in.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join