It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a cnn poll on their front page has obama winning the debate 67% to mccain's 27% .. what ? lol .. I don't think any of these 'voters' watched this debate ..

McCain made Obama look like the inexperienced Senator that he is and I saw Obama get flustered a few times .. he even felt the need to jump in and interrupt McCain at times .. signs of someone who feels they are 'losing' and a little desperate to fight back

throughout the debate when McCain began his rebuttal .. he would say a few times 'Senator Obama just doesn't understand' .. in a couple of those instances when he said this Obama had his head slumped down while McCain had his head up and was talking confidently .. I thought this was was symbolic ..

again .. I don't know what those voters were watching obama 67% McCain 27% ??

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Obama craves the camera.. Doesn't mean he is looking at anyone. History never stays in the past. If you don't pay attention to history your apt to repeat it. The graph reflects a certain audience, not everyone. I think what will really decide this race is the silent majority. Both candidates did well.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well, I think they were both pretty well behaved. Myself, I see this as a McCain victory. I think he rattled Obama several times, and Obama had difficulty with his segues from the question to lead him back to his core material. Just my opinion. Part of that, I think, is that Obama sometimes fills uncertain places with words, and McCain sometimes just stops.

It was surprisingly engaging from my perspective. I now have a tweak more faith in the both of them. I really think the VP debate is going to be very critical.

Cheers, I'm out.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Yes, I noticed this too. McCain just let him talk and talk, and then when McCain was responding, O would try to cut him off. It became annoying and painted O as impatient. At first, I wondered why McCain was letting O talk SO much…but I think it was a strategy, and I think it made O seem more frantic and less focused.

O is known to be wordy, so McCain let him blah, blah, blah, and then he’d come in with a concise response. I have to say, I wanted O to rise and become a clear front runner, but I’m more frazzled now than before the debate.

Also, I noticed that O called John Jim and Tom(?) by accident a few times….again, not focused.

And, O had the opening remarks, but McCain (Republican) mentioned Kennedy (democrat) being in the hospital and wishing him well. Mmmm didn’t look good for O.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I thought the Iran answer was gonna be
"Bomb bomb bomb bomb iran ...." but i was wrong

(for those who seen the video would get the joke)

The VP debate will be more or less like watching a samurai wrestler vr's a smurf ( experience versus mayor and [little gov ship] ) I think that debate will get ugly

Yet I - honestly will not be voting this year,
I went to register and from last time was just ID and proof of where I lived.
This time I didn't want to give them what they wanted
( Photo ID, SS Card, Proof of where I live, If I worked, a last "stub" of where I worked )
and just told em to p* off no citizen should have to go throe all that just to vote, photo id yes, proof of residence yes but the other no way.

So honestly I guess I shouldn't have a right to complain who wins

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

I thought that Obama by consistently saying that McCain is right made for a weaker statement.

Who ever was Obama's debate coach should be shot by him for letting him utter "John's right" about 5 times. I just can't wait for the Republican ad with those sound bites.

You just don't say that in a debate, even if your opponent is right. For a little while there, I thought they were going to announce a joint bipartisan ticket.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone

Originally posted by skeptic1
I'm sorry, but $250.000.00 per year ain't rich. Obama needs to get that through his head. In some areas of this country, that amount, for a family of 4, is just barely middle class.

I have a family of four and we make $50,000. Come on, this statement is just wrong... unless they are living beyond their means.

-Not a personal attack just my opinion.

Does anyone really know what McCain will REALLY do with taxes... it's far more vague on his side.

Is that what you make, or bring in? Where I currently reside anyone bringing in under $30,000 qualifies for Welfare and Section Eight Housing. You would be extremely surprised at the differences across this Nation. In parts of North Carolina for instance, you can buy a mansion for around $500,000, yet in NY State that same amount will buy you a small one floor house with a 1/4 acre of property or less. Across much of America a family making $250,000 is Middle-Class. There is no way that "only" 5% of America makes this amount or over. Even CNN stated that at least 20% of the United States makes that much. So in general terms, we would be looking at a tax hike for between 1/5 and 1/4 of all American Citizens. That is a far stretch from 5%, or 1/20.

As for McCain, my understanding is that he wants to lower business taxes, which mind you we have one of the highest in the World. That is fairly absurd for a Capitalistic society is it not? McCain also wants to lower general taxes, which would include Federal Income. In case you are wondering, the reason why "Rich People" generally pay a lower percentage of taxes than Middle and Lower Class income brackets, is simply due to the fact that they have the funds to hire financial attorneys who exploit tax-loopholes. Often times these same individuals have off-shore Bank Accounts, which remain un-taxable. So no matter what someone promises about "Taxing the Rich", they cannot tax funds that do not reside within this Nation.

Also, if you increase Business Taxes you will force Business Owners to cut salaries, cut employment, and raise product pricing. You will then witness far more outsourcing than we already currently have, as nothing can force a Corporation to remain within the boundaries of the United States. You have to provide certain incentives towards entrepreneurship opportunities, otherwise you head towards a serious blight in competition, diversity, and capital gains.

Not to mention that Socializing Medical Coverage and other aspects of society (Education for example), will skyrocket ALL Tax-Rates in this Nation. Socialized Governments require 45%-65% Tax Rates, and an extreme take-over of businesses. Besides the fact that such an aspect runs completely contrary to the Americans ideals of Capitalism, it will GREATLY degrade the quality of such aforementioned social systems.

Are vague yet possible ideas better, or specific ideas which cannot be implemented?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by davion

I have a feeling they will keep Palin under wraps till the debate.....it won't give Biden much to work off of in practice. Who is the moderator for that debate BTW?

Gwen Ifill will be the moderator for the VP debate next week.

That debate will be Thursday, Oct. 2.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I thought the debate was evenly matched. Both did the "political talk" routine. They are both great Debators for sure. I guess it all comes down to who you agree with more. They are both steadfast on how they would govern. We have to try to decide who we believe knows best. So far I am with Obamas ideas.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The pundits are nuts.

McCain appeared strong. Obama appear defensive.

At the end when each met their respective wives, Obama's expression said it all. *He* didn't preform as well as *he* hoped. It was written all over his face.

Did McCain knock it out of the park? No. But he didn't need to do that as badly as Obama, imo.

The first round goes to McCain.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I think McCain edged out a narrow victory in this debate.

Not a "knocked it out of the park" victory, but he edged out Obama....IMO.

People can claim bias but the MSNBC poll has Obama as the winner of this debate 49-36. 143,000 voted.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I agree that Obama craves the camera, but I was commenting basically on the fact the McCain seemed to be avoiding it, which struck me as odd. Also, the only line I was watching on the graph was the independant line, as that is what the silent majority is. Also, Obama mentioned the past continuously, but still talked mostly about the future, whereas McCain seemed exactly the opposite. It just seemed very old guard vs. new guard, and in my opinion we need new guard now. I also feel that McCain didn't really separate himself from the Bush Regime. The 90% voting record got brought up, and McCain really didn't effectively come back on how he differs from Bush other than pork barrel spending, which really has more to do with Congress than it does from the Executive Branch.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

He did get off subject quite a bit and went into stories a little too often for me. He was a bit dramatic and emotional, but that's who his is. His anger was palpable at times and he never looked at Obama. He even scooted off to the right side of the podium to apparently get further away from Obama and his defensive moments made him seem just a little "off" to me. It was really strange. He was livid at times.

Yeah, that's McCain being McCain. It either works for him with people or it doesn't. Not a ton of middle ground with him. I'll give him points for not changing his leopard spots. He blinked a lot and that didn't help him, but that's how he is. What you see is what you get with him, for me, that's kinda refreshing.

He was pretty dismissive of Obama, I could see where people might take it as arrogant or rude.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
In my opinion, the debate comes down to this. One candidate was looking forward, the other was looking back. Obama concentrated on what we need to do, McCain concentrated on what he has done.

My analysis as well.

There was a time when I could have been a McCain supporter but that was more than a few years ago and he has lost that best part of him - he is no longer the maverick he recalls so fondly.

B.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

People can claim bias but the MSNBC poll has Obama as the winner of this debate 49-36. 143,000 voted.

MSNBC Biased????? Surely you jest.

You can believe that poll if you want, it is by no means scientific. I would have expected Obama to have a much larger margin on that one in fact.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

I think McCain edged out a narrow victory in this debate.

Not a "knocked it out of the park" victory, but he edged out Obama....IMO.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Those polls are even worse off than more scientific polls such as Rassmusen. I could spend the night clicking away to sway it the other way.

Its best to let the experts decide who won.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I agree, MSNBC=liberal, FOX=conservative, CNN=jury's still out. We will have to wait for the Gallup Poll for anything even remotely accurate.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Cool, thanks for the info.

Looks like another good moderator. I thought Lehr did a good job, he tried to catch them off guard a little, but they both were too slick for that.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Its best to let the experts decide who won.

Why can't we decide who won all on our own?

Don't know about you, but I am going into the voting booth in November all by myself.....

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Fox News had a poll through Cell Phones, and here are the results for: "Who do you believe won the Debate?"

50,000 Votes

McCain- 82%
Obama- 16%
Undecided- 1%

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join