Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of Drudge Report polls posted here. Which is fine, just realize that is a very conservative site, and so the polls will obviously be in favor for McCain.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Firstly I have to slap the good Prof with a large wet noodle for quoting the most evil woman in history....

reply to post by Res Ipsa

EDUCATION!
There couldn't be a more important issue. (that is saying alot too)

You do realize that should we actually educate our children, they will be able to see exactly how their future is being flushed down the economic toilet we are swimming in?

Good for you on continuing your education, Res. And as for the world ending, I think the last date I heard was Thursday at 4:21 EST. I wouldn't count too much on that, though, since someone keeps extending the date.

Keep dropping by, you are a breath of fresh air.

--------------------------------------
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

The only poll that counts is the one in November. Everything else is subjective media fodder.

TheRedneck

[edit on 27-9-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Firstly I have to slap the good Prof with a large wet noodle for quoting the most evil woman in history.

Sorry about that Redneck. I just couldn't resist, in my attempt to be fair and balanced.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned........

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
There seems to be a lot of Drudge Report polls posted here. Which is fine, just realize that is a very conservative site, and so the polls will obviously be in favor for McCain.

I know...But, MSNBC is very liberal, which means their polls would favor Obama...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Prof,
You might not have said that you "ranked" the importance of the issue but you did. How secure are we with a dumbing down of our citizens? How safe is the Constitution when people don't know what it is?
That is why I said that my education priority was saying alot because we do have health care issues and a number of problems that are very very important but at the crux is education. National security is actually more of a myth. The terrorist? Are you familiar with the book....hmmm I think it was "two for tea" or something about tea but it was about the one guy who brought education to Pakistan and how his efforts were amazing. He was some climber now living in Bozeman, Montana.
The war on terrorism is largely propaganda. We just can't afford to let education continue the way it has. I even had a girl in one of my classess, a 3L no less, think that the Bill of Rights is found in the Declaration of Independance!
We have no debate because I agree of course with every word you said but am a little surprised that you wouldn't think it IS the single most important issue, amoung admitedly, a plethera of important issues.
...take me for example, I can't spell and if you read my law school essays you would be scratching your head, yet I am 8 months away from graduating from law school. I want better for my kids.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think Obama came off as a person trying to present himself as an experienced and knowledgeable potential president. (Based on voice tone and body language.)

McCain came off as a person who is an experienced and knowledgeable potential president. Based on voice tone and body language.)

Overall, the debate was boring. I think college debates are far more interesting and passionate. The subdued tone of McCain and Obama gave me the impression they were two lightweight boxers who knew neither have the qualifications to be in the ring but since they were they were going to dance around and avoid any damaging punches and endure to the final bell.

I think the Palin-Bindin debate will be much better.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by swdecord

Yes, I agree MSNBC is more liberal sided. IMO not to the extreme that Drudge Report is conservative, but biased nonetheless sure.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

People shouldn't let polls affect them, I share those sentiments.

Even more damaging though, is people that don't watch the full debate but rather watch clip compilations that are biased towards either liberal or the conservative side.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Firstly I have to slap the good Prof with a large wet noodle for quoting the most evil woman in history....

EDUCATION!
There couldn't be a more important issue. (that is saying alot too)

You do realize that should we actually educate our children, they will be able to see exactly how their future is being flushed down the economic toilet we are swimming

TheRedneck

[edit on 27-9-2008 by TheRedneck]

-----that was my point about the Republican's, they don't want education for the "masses"
----I'm sorry Redneck I don't think you are the guy I thought you were before, unless you did some 180 degree turn around. The guy I thought you were was some Bush loving gun carrying...uh Redneck. You sound too sensible to be the guy I thought you were. My memory sucks. I don't remember when we have crossed paths before....I would have thought that the oxymoron would have been hard to forget. lol.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You might not have said that you "ranked" the importance of the issue but you did. How secure are we with a dumbing down of our citizens? How safe is the Constitution when people don't know what it is?
That is why I said that my education priority was saying alot because we do have health care issues and a number of problems that are very very important but at the crux is education.

Well, I won't argue with you, because we are both saying the same thing. However, here is where I am coming from.
One day in class, I noticed that one of my seniors, a very good student, seemed not-himself. After class, I invited him down to my office to talk to him. Without going into any details, and to protect his privacy, let me just say that he was having some serious health problems (and no, it wasn't substance abuse, it was a health problem that was not brought on by anything he did.) In addition, his family was poor, and he had no health care, but because of issues I can't go into, he was not eligible for free health care. Needless to say, I got him to a doctor, and made sure that he was taken care of.
Students that don't have access to health care, cannot possibly learn, even those that are studious, intelligent and hard working.
How many children in our country today do not have health care, and suffer from illnesses that a simple doctor visit could cure.
That is why I rank them together.
BTW, I never mentioned war on terror. I agree with you to a large extent on that. I mentioned defense.
Best wishes on your Law Degree. I know you'll be a good lawyer.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

People shouldn't let polls affect them, I share those sentiments.

Even more damaging though, is people that don't watch the full debate but rather watch clip compilations that are biased towards either liberal or the conservative side.

100% agreement...(BTW, I was the Anonymous poster of the previous Drudge numbers...Only because I forgot I had an account here...Must have been a "senior moment" :lol

I only posted the Drudge numbers because someone sourced an MSNBC poll...

As someone stated earlier, the only poll that matters is the one in November...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Who do you think silent majority will turn out to vote for?

Some say silent majority are some of the the independents that are being polled. But I feel they are people who keep their opinion to themselves.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Some say silent majority are some of the the independents that are being polled. But I feel they are people who keep their opinion to themselves.

My wife and I have received several political poll calls in the last few months, and each time, we merely say "We don't participate in surveys" and hang up.
I refuse to tell some stranger who I am voting for, and so does my wife.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Prof,
I don't know why I assumed you were a man. Now I should be asking why I assume you are a woman but probably because "empathy" for a student doesn't fit my idea of a typical male prof. Let alone getting them to a doctor.
You are right though. I resign myself to agree that health care and education are equal.
But as far as me becoming a good lawyer, my morals and conscience precludes me from being a good attorney. I will do what I can but I won't be considered a good attorney that is for sure. Its the nature of the beast.
But thank-you just the same.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well unless you live in Mass. I was wrong again Prof. and I was a psychology major...

I got a call on my cell phone at 11pm and it was a recording for the McCain people....I about lost my friggin mind. If I was even on the fence I would have jumped to Obama just because of that intrusion. Oh, I wanted it to be a live person so I could yell at them but nooooooooo. How did they get my cell phone number?.........ahhhhhh....I have a Montana area code but live in Florida....so it would have been....what, 9pm they thought. OK, I will let that slide, but I don't like that they had my cell number.

Here in Florida we get so many McCain ads and they are all just about bashing Obama. (just in case anyone was interested in that)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

But as far as me becoming a good lawyer, my morals and conscience precludes me from being a good attorney.

Actually, good morals and conscience are what make you a GOOD attorney. Lacking such qualities make for an evil attorney. I stand by my original statement. As for your assumption statement, I believe that any professor or teacher that lacks concern for every one of their students should not be teaching. It's that simple.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I teach in Adult Education/GED and like you have seen first hand that many kids are not learning the basic principles in the subjects being taught in schools. I also agree that throwing money at teachers or education itself is not the answer. Adult Education is severely underfunded and they should put the money toward this to get the parents educated so the parents can help their children. You would be surprised how many parents desire to help their kids but lack the necessary education.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Adult Education is severely underfunded and they should put the money toward this to get the parents educated so the parents can help their children. You would be surprised how many parents desire to help their kids but lack the necessary education.

Excellent point. I am retired now, but live in a neighborhood where there are many high school age students. I have had several neighbors send their children to me, and ask if I would help them with their homework, because it is "above their ability". Of course, I helped, but in almost all cases, we're talking about basic educational work, not AP courses, or anything close to it.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Prof,
that issue would make for an interesting thread if we had a bunch of lawyers on this site but...and I'm not being cynical here, the law is not about justice or what we think is right. It is positive law not natural law. An attorney that goes outside of that is guilty of malpractice. I'm all for "ought" rather than "is" but that isn't how it works. I will be walking a fine line as it is, and to be practical you...and I mean you, don't want an attorney that has a conscience, you want one that will win for you. Everybody wants the other guys attorney to have one though.....but like I said, great topic for another thread maybe but this is the Obama McCain debate thread. sorry for the off topic.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I'm sorry Redneck I don't think you are the guy I thought you were before, unless you did some 180 degree turn around. The guy I thought you were was some Bush loving gun carrying...uh Redneck.

Don't feel bad Res, I get that a lot before people get to know me. That's a big reason I kept that nick from my youthful days. Stereotypes are the core of prejudice, and every time I show them to be false, I feel I have done some good to society.

And while we have never 'locked horns' so to speak, we have been active in threads together in the past. I noticed you, but apparently you did not notice me. I have considered Bush a 'traitor' to the platform he ran on since the passage of the Patriot Act.

I do tote guns though

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join