It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Getting rich isn't a bad thing, not relating to the average American is. Most of America is not rich and is not getting there any time soon. I think Obama could give people the tools to better themselves financially through better education and opportunity.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by davion

I never said Obama was dumb. I bet given the opportunity, he could academically brush up in a few months and provide in great detail a description of certain surgical procedures. But I wouldn't then leap to the assumption that he'd be qualified to perform surgery.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by loam]

No you said he was an empty suit, which is what I was addressing

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Still watching the replay.. But I have to say, that I have yet to see McCain look at Obama once yet. And this whole

" Mr Obama doesnt understand..." crap is getting old.

Talk about talking down to someone. McCain actually said that Mr. Obama doesnt understand that Russia in conflict with Georgia. PUH LEASE

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Spoodily,

the education part has been tried time and time again. Money is just throwing in to it but individuals for the most part refuse to take advantage of it. Now opportunity is there for anybody. You don't need Obama or McCain to help you. What one need is desire and ambition. Funny how Asians come in and pop up their stores with limited English while Americans sit there and complain about not having opportunities, I work in Adult Education and see first hand that just throwing money into education isn't working.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by davion

As was I.

For me the term 'empty suit' implies an absence of substance-- not an absence of knowledge.

I think Obama lacks substance.

link   

link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
There's black people that will vote for McCain, there's white people that will vote for Obama. I just hope everyone makes their pick for the right reasons.

I think Obama and his wife know what it is like to be an average American and what is needed to help the average American. This is where I fit in.

McCain was the son of a Navy Admiral and his wife is rich and wears $300,000 outfits. McCain doesn't understand people like me.

Since when does the "Average American" travel all around the world and spend a majority of their upbringing abroad? I also had no idea that the "Average American" manages to attend Grade-Level Academies, then Two Ivy-League Institutions (Columbia Undergraduate, then Harvard Law School).

Not to mention that Senator Obama and his Wife are every bit as wealthy as Senator McCain and his Wife.

Again though, I DO agree with you in regards to the hope that voters choose their candidate for the "right reasons".

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I think Obama understands that you can't just thow money at a problem and expect it to fix itself. I think Obama will be a role model for inner city youth and immigrants who have nothing to fall back on. They will see that hard work can take you anywhere in America.

Right now kids want to sell drugs, shoot each other and get rich quick with schemes that have no longevity. I think Obama will put his foot down on a lot of those issues by doing more than just sending in police to give people a criminal record. Gang culture needs to be addressed in this country. I am suprised they aren't considered terrorists yet.

The Chinese do well here because a lot have some tie to their homeland. I grew up with a Chinese friend whose family had a restaraunt here but had a steel import business back in China. They also stick together.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Here, I hope this will present two different views from the Media in regards to the United States Presidential Debate between Senator John McCain, and Senator Barack Obama:

Slate: Tie goes to Obama

AND

Newsweek: Why McCain won

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I think Obama relates to being a minority and what comes along with it. He could be the richest man in the world but I bet old white women still would clutch their purses tighter around him. This is what I mean by being an average American. He understands what the needs of America are, where America is now and where it needs to head.

I've been to Hawaii twice and I'm not rich. I was on the math team in middle school with a guy that ended up graduating from Yale and he wasn't rich. When McCain's wife wears $300,000 worth of clothing and accessories and thinks that's normal, that is rich. That is more than what most people's homes cost.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Spoodily

Since when has Obama or McCain talked about the war on drugs, what they will do about gangs, how they will rebuild our run down urban cities? Just goes to show that in this area it will be business as usual. I know Obama was a community organizer but as to this day I have yet to find any documentation that shows that he helped to change those folks communities. They still have gang and drug problems and are still run down.

Role model. What good is it to have a role model if your community is still suffering? There are many of role models but that hasn't helped to solve these problems we have mentioned.

By the way some of those gangs are being charged under Rico law and I believe I read New York was trying a few under Domestic terrorism laws.

You bring up some good topics.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by jam321]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
reply to post by bknapple32

I would expect nothing more from a picture of some hippy looking dork next to a scumbag prez

Lol, sir, thanks for showing that you have yet to attain the maturity level of someone who should be posting here. i look forward to your post being taken down. Hippy looking dork... lol this coming from someone who cant post their own picture... Sir, Id gladly take the way I look up against most anyone.

Mods, excuse the off topic post, but I think it is fairly obvious I have not posted anything deserving of that pathetic attack on me.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This is what I want to see from Obama.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

What specifically did you find objectionable or ignorant that Sen Obama said on Iran and Russia? The specifics please. If I'm right, you are a disappointed Mcain sympathiser who wants a negative common ground for both candidates, whereas it is Mcain who had nothing to say but disdain and mockery of Sen Obama.

Can you please replay the video, and take notes if you can. You say Obama is academic, and in the same breath accuse him of ignorance, what exactly are you saying he should be pinned down on?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

can't get my sound to work..will look at it later. I think the issues you address do need to be taken care of. I think part of the reason it isn't is cause blacks gave Obama their vote too soon. Since then he has not paid much attention to them and that is just the truth. He isn't addressing the problem like he should nor McCain for that matter. Meth is affecting the white man. Maybe these issues will be talked about in future debates.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
25 minutes into the replay ... (how inconsiderate for both to debate at 02.00 hrs UK time !)

My initial impressions are that Senator Obama is coming over as rather clinical in his responses. I'm wandering back to Michael Dukakis in 1988, I get a similar "feel" to the way he's putting his case over ... it's like he's doing a lil bit of student debating rather than trying to connect with the tv viewer. Senator McCain's performance seems much more assured than I anticipated, he's coming over as a safe pair of hands in troubled times ... but for me, at least, he's also coming over as a politician in the dog days of his career. I wonder how he'll bear up physically under the burdens of high office.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I can only hope. We spend a lot of money outside our borders when we have problems we are turning a blind eye to right here at home.

I don't blame the people for getting into drugs, I blame the fact that there isn't an alternative to turn to. People just seem to reach a point where they don't care anymore because there aren't enough quality options.

People say that this and that is available to anyone who asks but they never seem to tell us who we need to ask. When the road looks like it leads to no where I think people are throwing in the towel and turning to things that deep down they know they should avoid. That's what I think Obama meant in the title of his book "The Audacity of Hope". That with him there isn't an end of the road, there will be true opportunity.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I was once for Obama when he talked about bringing our troops home. I was for the war but the mismanagement got to me. If Iraqis didn't care Al-Q was destroying their own people why should we. But slowly and truly he started to move away from his position to win more votes. He showed me that there wasn't change just a play on words. Since he started coming out with his plans I have been critical of many of them. I believe people need to help themselves and not just depend on government to take care of them. Obama seems to feel Government should take care of them by giving them healthcare instead of working with businesses to help provide healthcare. Companies like Walmart will continue to pay cheap wages, make huge profit, and not have to worry about healthcare because of Obama's make work pay program.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
Since when does the "Average American" travel all around the world and spend a majority of their upbringing abroad?

Obama spent 4years of his life in Indonesia and all of sudden this accounts for the majority of his upbringing? Where are you getting your information from? What about McCain? The man wasnt even born on american soil and all of a sudden his is a non-issue.

And what apparently "average americans" dont travel around the world? Are you serious? Please can you just reply and make it clear where your coming from here and how you intend to make this an issue at all to the elections...

I also had no idea that the "Average American" manages to attend Grade-Level Academies, then Two Ivy-League Institutions (Columbia Undergraduate, then Harvard Law School).

Oh im sorry the fact obamas educated is so offending to "average americans", I mean after all his only running for the highest office in the land? Mind you his ivy league status cannot be compared to mccains 894th out of 899th ranking in his naval academy
or Palins "communications degree from idaho". I mean who does Obama think he is bring in his ivy "league credentials" for POTUS....

If this is really how america intends to vote, we deserved everything we got over the last 8years and more.

Not to mention that Senator Obama and his Wife are every bit as wealthy as Senator McCain and his Wife.

Your kidding me right?

Look I dont know where you get your information from, im sorta hoping its not fox news but if it is, I suggest you find different outlets to get your information from.

McCain is the 13th wealthiest members of congress with an estimated $19.64 million.... The Washington post measures his wealth alone at between $25 million to $38 million. His wife is worth even more than that, get this... $100 million.
www.rollcall.com...

I think the fact McCain doesnt know how many houses he has, let alone how many cars.... I think it would be more like McCain is wealthier. This myth that his the "average joe" here is just garbage, and his sidekick Palin is just something else...

As for Obama? Lets see here...

www.washingtonpost.com...

According to the Washington post his wealth is measures between $1-$2.5 million. So McCain is obviously more wealtheir. And what does McCain have to say about whos part of the rich club?

www.youtube.com...

Oh ok... so you have to be worth over $5million? you have to make over $5 million yearly..??

Again though, I DO agree with you in regards to the hope that voters choose their candidate for the "right reasons".

Oh I am glad you agree with the other member.... and at that I suggest you do some research on the candidates and come back with evidence to back up your arguement.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
I also had no idea that the "Average American" manages to attend Grade-Level Academies, then Two Ivy-League Institutions (Columbia Undergraduate, then Harvard Law School).

Not to mention that Senator Obama and his Wife are every bit as wealthy as Senator McCain...

Difference. Obama worked for it. McCain married it.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join