It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Obama- McCain debate thread

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I didn't like their answer on terrorism either. Should have just been honest and admit that they can't protect us all or guard every place. And then with the multi agency different version of what defines terrorism makes it that much difficult to know who we are supposed to be protecting ourselves from.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Spoodily

Likely similar sentiments shared by some of those people in the heartland.

I'm just curious why they deserve your scorn for sharing a different view?

After all, even Obama said numerous times in this debate that he agreed with John McCain.

McCain can't be all that bad, can he?

[edit on 27-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

spending freeze...McCain was throwing out suggestion. The question seemed to trouble both of them. But I did like that McCain said all programs should be reviewed for effectiveness and get rid of bad ones.Maybe he can consolidated some to save money..

Consolidating duplicative programs will save money and improve government service. In addi­tion to those programs that should be eliminated completely, Congress should consolidate the fol­lowing sets of programs:

342 economic development programs;
130 programs serving the disabled;
130 programs serving at-risk youth;
90 early childhood development programs;
75 programs funding international education, cultural, and training exchange activities;
72 federal programs dedicated to assuring safe water;
50 homeless assistance programs;
45 federal agencies conducting federal crimi­nal investigations;
40 separate employment and training pro­grams;
28 rural development programs;

source

Talk about redundancy.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Do you live on the Bizzaro World? Fox News is as far right as MSNBC is to the left. Ask any Republican what news network they watch, they will tell you 'Fox News!'.

No actually I live in reality (as bizarre as it can be at times), and I have a fairly good understanding of these News Networks. I have been following headlines, stories, and commentary on all three of these Networks for years. Much as I said, Fox News has a more balanced grouping of commentators, panels, and hosts. Look at Hannity and Colmes for example, you have a real Conservative host, AND a real Liberal host. Where else do you find a program like that? I also see them reporting on all of the same stories critical of McCain/Palin that CNN and MSNBC air, BUT they also report the stories critical of Obama/Biden. I have yet to hear a Fox Commentator get "Tingles up their legs" from a candidate's speech.

You should watch the channel more often, and look at the vast array of commentators/guests they have on. I see Geraldine Ferraro on there as much as Newt Gingrich. They even had Reverend Jeremiah Wright on there a while back, as well as Jerry Falwell years ago. The reason so many Republicans watch it is because it is the only of the three Major News Networks that actually has some Conservative hosts, and actually goes after both sides of the spectrum in terms of journalism.

No News Network is as far left (nor comparatively right) as MSNBC at this point in time.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I live in Alabama. When you see white trash enough and hear their views first person you tend to see that they aren't progressing.

When it was down to Obama and Clinton for the democratic ticket I heard with my own ears a girl say "I'd rather have a woman than a *snip* for president." That was all the further she was able to think it out.

I see a lot of people supporting McCain because he's white and Palin because she's a redneck, with no other reason. I also see the media calling Obama black as much as they can when his mother is as white as mine.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/27/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Is this where we're supposed to pointlessly exchange anecdotal experiences demonstrating our respective positions?

Personally, I find it a convenient argument that if McCain prevails, it will because of the prejudice of the nation, as opposed to the strength of McCain's candidacy or the weakness of Obama's. But if that makes you feel better....

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
for the ones debating which cable network leans rep, dem, independent.....here is an interesting breakdown from PEW research.

people-press.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Nuff Said.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

It wouldn't suprise me. We did steal the land from the Native Americans and then picked up Africans to till it for us. I'm hoping people look past Obama's skin color and see that he has better ideas and is more in touch with the average American.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

and who do you think the 12 million blacks are supporting and what their reason for supporting him are. You will find racist in every group but that won't be the reason Obama loses or wins.

They call Obama black because that is how he defines himself.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
I'm hoping people look past Obama's skin color and see that he has better ideas and is more in touch with the average American.

Did it ever occur to you that people look past Obama's skin color...and see an empty suit?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

There's black people that will vote for McCain, there's white people that will vote for Obama. I just hope everyone makes their pick for the right reasons.

I think Obama and his wife know what it is like to be an average American and what is needed to help the average American. This is where I fit in.

McCain was the son of a Navy Admiral and his wife is rich and wears $300,000 outfits. McCain doesn't understand people like me.

[edit on 9/27/2008 by Spoodily]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I live in Alabama. When you see white trash enough and hear their views first person you tend to see that they aren't progressing.

When it was down to Obama and Clinton for the democratic ticket I heard with my own ears a girl say "I'd rather have a woman than a n****r for president." That was all the further she was able to think it out.

I see a lot of people supporting McCain because he's white and Palin because she's a redneck, with no other reason. I also see the media calling Obama black as much as they can when his mother is as white as mine.

Whoa, hold the name tossing a minute. I know what a redneck is, but how in the World does Palin fall under that category? You would be surprised at how much Small-Town Alaskans differ from Small-Town Southerners. Just because someone is from a rural area does NOT make them a "redneck", or a "hick". You have to be talking about a narrow-minded and ignorant individual to label them as such. So far, where have you seen her demonstrating such characteristics? I know some say "redneck" with pride or just use it as a way of describing their country lifestyle, but the way you put it, it sounds like an insult.

You must not live near a City either, because I have seen just as much ignorance towards support for Obama. I have seen Obama supporters only going for him because of his color, and I have seen some of these same individuals call Obama opponents "racists". Even when these individuals are only disagreeing with Senator Obama's Policy stances, they are still painted with a broad-brush of illegitimate accusations. Ignorance knows no political, regional, racial, nor ethnic boundaries.

BTW, I do agree with you on the "Media labelling Obama Black" issue. Before they actually complained that he was "not Black enough", now they act as though he is "Uber Black". Quite a few Black Americans I know from the inner-city even said that they did not consider him to be Black. Now however, it is as though everyone has forgotten this "stance" if you will. Senator Obama did not help the issue when he kept discussing his race however, and how one minute he labels his Grandmother a "racist", then the next he talks about the values he inherited from her. How one minute he takes extreme pride in his Black African dad, then the next he puts him down for "running away". The Media created the perception as to Obama's actual racial identity, and he simply utilized it for the lack of support he once had from the Black American community at-large.

Anyways, before we get too far off topic here....

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Really, because when McCain grinds his teeth when Obama is tearing him a new one I get a laugh. I see McCain as the empty suit and someone who thinks he deserves to be president rather than earn it.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I'm hoping people look past Obama's skin color and see that he has better ideas and is more in touch with the average American.

Did it ever occur to you that people look past Obama's skin color...and see an empty suit?

Apparently you didn't watch the debate because he proved pretty soundly that that "empty suit" campaign rhetoric is out the window. McCain has always been proud of his foreign policy experience, yet he didn't have a landslide victory debating Obama on it. Why is that?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I hadn't realized Harvard and Princeton educations were the average American experience.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Spoodily

So your blaming McCain cause his daddy was an admiral and then you blame him again for marrying a rich woman. I couldn't hold this against anybody. Even if he wears expensive clothes, shoes, watches. That is not a reason not to vote for somebody. We could probably say the same about every member in Congress. Do you think that now that Obama is rich he still eats at cheap places, wears cheap clothes. Being rich is not a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Alaskans have some other term instead of redneck I heard. She fits the stereo type with her huge family and pregnant teenage daughter. She's also very devout religiously in the crazy kind of way. I don't trust people that speak in tongues.

I live 15 minutes south from downtown Birmingham in case you were really wondering.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by davion

I never said Obama was dumb. I bet given the opportunity, he could academically brush up in a few months and provide in great detail a description of certain complicated surgical procedures. But I wouldn't then leap to the conclusion that he'd be qualified to perform the surgeries.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by davion

No Obama isn't an empty suit but not everybody agrees with his game plan either. I think your confusing McCain with Hillary. McCain is doing a lot to earn a win.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join