It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a hoax?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I received this E-mail,

And to tell you the truth it was in my Junk E-mail folder as my E-mail account read it as spam.

Does anybody has received this same E-mail before?

ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONITARY CRIMES DIVISION
FBI HEADQUARTERS, WASHINGTON D.C.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001

Date: 09/25/2008

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL ADVICE FROM THE FBI FOREIGN REMITTANCE/TELEGRAPHIC DEPT. IT HAS COME TO OUR NOTICE THAT THE C.B.N BANK NIGERIA DISTRICT HAS RELEASED TO THE TUNE OF $10,500,000.00 U.S DOLLARS INTO BANK OF AMERICA IN YOUR NAME AS THE BENEFICIARY, BY INHERITTANCE MEANS.

THE C.B.N BANK NIGERIA KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH FACILITIES TO EFFECT THIS PAYMENT FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM TO YOUR ACCOUNT, USED WHAT WE KNOW AS A SECRET DIPLOMATIC TRANSIT PAYMENT S.T.D.P TO PAY THIS FUND THROUGH WIRE TRANSFER.

THEY ARE STILL, WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION FROM YOU ON THE ALREADY TRANSFERRED FUNDS, WHICH WAS MADE IN DIRECT TRANSFER SO THAT THEY CAN FINALLY CREDIT IT INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.

SECRET DIPLOMATIC PAYMENTS ARE NOT MADE UNLESS THE FUNDS ARE RELATED TO TERRORIST ACTIVITIES. WHY MUST YOUR PAYMENT BE MADE IN SECRETTRANSFER? IF YOUR TRANSACTION IS LEGITIMATE, IF YOU ARE NOT ATERRORIST, THEN WHY DID YOU NOT RECEIVE THE MONEY DIRECTLY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT, THIS IS A PURE ILLEGAL MEANS OF PAYMENT?

RECORDS WHICH WE HAVE HAD WITH THIS METHOD OF PAYMENT IN THE PAST, HAS ALWAYS BEEN RELATED TO TERRORIST ACTS, WE DO NOT WANT YOU TO GET INTO TROUBLE AS SOON AS THESE FUNDS REFLECT IN YOUR ACCOUNT IN THE U.S. SO IT IS OUR DUTY AS A WORLD WIDE COMMISSION TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THIS FUND WILL BE CREDITED INTO YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT.

WE ADVICE YOU TO CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY, AS THE FUNDS HAVE BEEN STOPPED AND ARE BEING HELD IN OUR CUSTODY, UNTIL YOU CAN BE ABLE TO PROVIDE US WITH A DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY SEAL OF TRANSFER (DIST) WITHIN 3 DAYS FROM THE WORLD LOCAL BANK FROM WHERE THE FUNDS WERE TRANSFERED FROM, TO CERTIFY THAT THE FUNDS THAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO RECEIVE FROM NIGERIA ARE ANTI TERRORIST/DRUG FREE. OR ELSE WE SHALL HAVE CAUSE TO CROSS AND IMPOUND THE PAYMENT.WE SHALL ONLY RELEASE THE FUNDS
IMMEDIATELY WE RECEIVE THIS LEGAL DOCUMENTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have decided to contact you directly to acquire the proper
verifications and proof from you to show that you are the rightful
person to receive this fund, because of the amount involved. we want
to make sure the money your about to receive is clean and legal. Be
informed that the fund is now in the United States in your name, but
right now we authourised Bank of America not to release the funds
untill we ask them to do so.This is because we have to carry out our
investigations first before releasing the funds to you.

So to this regards, you are to re-assure and proof to us that what you
are about to receive is a clean money by sending to us FBI
Identification Record and also Diplomatic Immunity Seal Of Transfer
(DIST) to satisfy to us that the money you are about to receive is
legitimate. You are to forward the documents to us immediately if
you have it in your possession, if you don?t have it, let us know, so
that you will be directed on how and where to obtain the document and
send to us, so that in turn,we will re-authourize the Bank of America
to credit your funds.

However,An FBI Identification Record and Diplomatic Immunity Seal Of
Transfer (DIST) often referred to as a Criminal History Record or Rap
Sheet, is a listing of Certain information taken from fingerprint
submissions retained by the FBI in Connection with arrests and, in
some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service.

THESE CONDITION IS VALID UNTIL
THE OF 3rd Oct 2008, AFTER WHICH WE SHALL TAKE ACTIONS ON CANCELLING
THE PAYMENT AND THEN CHARGE YOU FOR ILLEGALLY MOVING OF FUNDS OUT OF
NIGERIA.

GUARANTEE: FUNDS WILL BE RELEASED ON CONFIRMATION OF THESE DOCUMENTS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL INSTRUCTION:

1, CREDIT PAYMENT INSTRUCTION: IRREVOCABLE CREDIT GUARANTEE

2,BENEFICIARY HAS FULL POWER WHEN VALIDATION IS
CLEARED.

3,BENEFICIARIES BANK IN U.S.A, CAN ONLY RELEASE FUNDS
UPON CONFIRMATION FROM THE WORLD BANK/UNITED NATIONS.

4,BEARER MUST CLEAR BANK PROTOCOL AND VALIDATION REQUEST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: We have asked for the above documents to make available the most complete and up-to date records possible for the enhancement of public safety, welfare and security of the Society, while recognizing the
importance of individual privacy rights. If you fail to provide the
Documents to us, we will charge you with the FBI and take our proper
action against you for not prooving to us the legitimacy of the funds
you are about to receive.

The United States Department of Justice Order 556-73 establishes rules
and regulations for the subject of an FBI Identification Record to
obtain a copy of his or her own Record for review.

The FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division
processes these requests to check illegal activities in U.S.A. An
individual may request a copy of his or her own FBI Identification
Record for personal review or to challenge information on the Record.
Other reasons an individual may request a copy of his or her own
Identification Record may include international adoption or to satisfy
a requirement to live or work in a foreign country or receive funds
from another country (i.e., Diplomatic Immunity Seal Of Transfer,
letter of good conduct, criminal history back ground). Faithfully
Yours,

FBI Director
Robert S. Mueller, III

mod edit title

[edit on 9/26/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yes.

It's a scam, you'll send them money and never hear from them again.

check this out

419 scammer

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I didn't read it at all, all I saw was the word "Nigeria".

YES, IT IS A SCAM

It is a variation of the Nigerian 419 advance fee scam. 419 is the penal code in Nigeria that covers these scams. They try to get your attention by promising large amounts of free money. When you try to collect, suddenly they need you to send them money to bribe officials, pay taxes, or any amount of other things.

You will never ever ever see a penny from this scam. If you reply to it then your e-mail box will be flooded with scam offers of man different types.
Wikipedia article on the 419 scam.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I received this E-mail,

And to tell you the truth it was in my Junk E-mail folder as my E-mail account read it as spam.

Does anybody has received this same E-mail before?

F*SNIP*

Marg, you could have stopped at the word I bolded... Uncle Sam uses spell check...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Thanks Elevatedone,

I kind of got worry there for a moment, silly me, I have been getting Span E-mail from all over the world and I know they are hoax, but never I had one like this one before.

I am glad that is nothing but a hoax.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Well you know me, my friend English is not my first language and as long as I can read it, it looks good to me.

Next time i should use spell check on things like this

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
1. What was the return email listed as when you hit reply? If it doesn't say .gov then fake weather or not it accepts replys in this case is irrelavent.

2. There was no phone number listed to call and at least check to where it was going although this may or may not work.

3. MOST IMPORTANT if it says Nigeria and then talks about money transfers then it is a scam sscam scam! It's called the Nigerian money scam actually has many diffrent names but it's all the same thing. These scams all deal with transfers of money to your account out of Nigeria and you call them and they say they need this and that fee and you get charged or wire the money and never see anything in return. Many senior citizens have fell victim to this scam and hence the reason they keep doing it.

Not to mention if it was from the real FBI it would not have went to junk mail unless you told it, that email from the govt was junk.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yeah, I've seen this a million times.. Its a big scam. I was at my grams house and she had Oprah on, she was doing a segment on people who got caught up in this craziness..Not to give Oprah a plug or anything

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yes this the reply address,

[email protected]

I try to put in my browser and it gave an error, I try also to use the search and it didn't gave me any links back.

I have to tell you all, this people are getting out of their way to hoax others and scam them.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
YES ITS A SCAM
Any public email is going to be.

Check out this EMAIL I have been sent.

"Dear Friend,I know you would be surprised to read from someone relatively unknown to you before now. My name isSgt.Claudia McVeigh, a master sgt. of The U.S. Marine, deployed to Iraq in the beginning of the war in2003. I would like to share some highly personal classified information about my personal experience androle which I played in the pursuit of my career serving under the U.S Marine which was at the fore-frontof the war in Iraq.Though, I would like to hold back certain information for security reasons for now until you have foundtime to visit the BBC website stated below to enable you have insight regarding what I intend to sharewith you, believing that it would be of your desired interest in one way or the other.Here is a BBC newslisting that confirms what I share with you.news.bbc.co.uk... Also, could you get back to me having visited the above website to enable us discuss in a more vividmanner to the best of your understanding. I must say that I'm very uncomfortable sending this message toyou without knowing truly if you would misconstrue the importance and decide to go public.In thisregards,I will not hold backto say that the essence of this letter is strictly for mutualbenefit of you and I and nothing more.I will be more vivid and coherent in my next email in this regards.Meanwhile,could you send me a mailconfirming you have visited the site and understood my intentions? Standing by for your response.Warm regards,
Sgt. Claudia McVeigh"

[edit on 26-9-2008 by MREALE]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yes, as has been mentioned it is a variation of the 419 Scam. While most of us have received and become annoyed at such emails, there are some people who are doing something about it.

Over at 419eater, they scambait.

So what is scambaiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Whilst you are doing this, you will be helping to keep the scammers away from real potential victims and screwing around with the minds of deserving thieves.

Don't forget to checkout their letter archives.

EDIT: additional content

more baiting over at 419baiter

419 sample(?)

Dear American:
I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to [email protected] so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds. Yours

Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

found here and here

[edit on 9.26.08 by toreishi]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Ya, I will also scambait them with questions and try to get the same responses from them.
LOL

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's a scam. My employer gets many of those in his personal email of "rich" ppl in other countries needing to transfer their money over and that they'll cut them a piece of the pie...however they always want all of your bank info.

Don't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Now that I know I am not the only one I am not worry,

What it worry me in the beginning was the header of the E-mail, I thought that with so many bogus E-mail from foreign countries I was actually bee watch by the FBI

After all we all under surveillance and in the FBI list of people of interest when we expose ourself to public boards and express our views publicly.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Also, if this was a legit transaction, the FBI would be coming to your door step and talking too you personally, not emailing since its considered a non-secure form of communication.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
here's the general rule of thumb (after the spell check rule).

if the us gov't emails you, it's a scam.

the irs doesn't use emails. those emails about refunds are all fake.

the fbi doesn't know everyone's email and they don't use all caps as a means of getting your attention.

if the federal gov't wants to see you, they will come a knockin'

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Yes.

It's a scam, you'll send them money and never hear from them again.

You might hear from them again.

When they need more money....

Strange take on the 419, bring the FBI into the mix....
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
That is what got me on the beginning that it has an official FBI letter, I guess this is to scare me into replying to find out what I have done wrong.

I guess the mention of the FBI will make anybody antsy.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I guess the mention of the FBI will make anybody antsy.

No, no, not anyone. What was that you were saying about the FBI caring about your opinions on public forums again?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join