It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali pirates 'seize 30 tanks'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Pirates off the coast of Somalia have seized a Ukrainian ship carrying T-72 tanks, an official has said. Ukraine's foreign ministry said the ship had a crew of 21 and was sailing under a Belize flag to the Kenyan port of Mombasa. A report from Russia's Interfax news agency said earlier that the ship had a cargo of about 30 tanks, as well as spare parts for armored vehicles.

Source

Great got to love those pirates ... I wonder why the ship wasn't more heavily guarded ... it had 30 tanks plus other things on it .... hmm it's as if someone wanted it to get taken over ...

Russian T-72^

[edit on 26-9-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This thread need more pictures
T-72 tank

Somalian Pirate

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think that most likely the pirates are not going to do too well on this one.

I think that the ship will be recovered and the pirates will most likely be shark food.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yarrrrrg! We'll move inward, we will! On these here Land Ships! Arrrrg. And we'll blast them all to oblivion, we will! Or me name ain't Magumbo, the scallawag of Somalia! Yarrrrr! Har har!

Sorry guys, I'm still all hung over from "Talk like a pirate day" last week.

On topic-
From what I've read, I think a Ukrainian ship, flying under a Belize flag, makes this a Pirate-vs.-Pirate match. I always say, Piracy brings out the real booty that's being bartered. Arms, Drugs and sex. Tanks are a commodity. I wonder who the buyer was? Kenya or Sudan? Or....?

Hmmmmm.
Cuhail

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What the hell are they gonna do with all those tanks?

I wonder if they knew what was onboard before they hijacked it

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
In that region, 30 Russian tanks and ammo might be enough to make or break a government.

BTW, I wonder what it would do to/for new south Africain President?

" Kgalema Motlanthe, 59, a former trade unionist once imprisoned during the apartheid era on charges of terrorism, was overwhelmingly elected Thursday by Parliament as South Africa's third president."
Source

Sudan...dafar............congo..................ou get the picture.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Here is another thought, is this a Russian false flag operation-an excuse to send ships/planes/troops to the region?????

Remember, Russia would like their resources or at least to with-hold them from the west.

Just saying.................................

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"MOSCOW - A Russian warship on Friday rushed to intercept a Ukrainian vessel carrying 33 battle tanks and a hoard of ammunition that was seized by pirates off the Horn of Africa — a bold hijacking that again heightened fears about surging piracy and high-seas terrorism."

Now, those dumb fools will be tortured and killed.

Now, a Russian warship or 2 will stay in the area.

Us Naval forces were monitoring the situation-read sitting back and laughing.

oh, almost forgot......
Yahoo News

new topics

top topics

join