It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaga shaken by two blasts that baffled officials say may have been caused by mystery jet breaking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Malaga shaken by two blasts that baffled officials say may have been caused by mystery jet breaking the sound barrier

www.mailonsunday.co.uk

Two loud blasts have jolted the southern Spanish holiday resort of Malaga this morning - but baffled police said there was no sign of any explosion.

The city council suggested a mysterious plane or planes had broken the sound barrier over the city, causing a sonic boom.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.independent.co.uk

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Anyone any idea what this was?

I live in Malaga and the 2 bangs sounded like huge explosions?

How can a mystery jet, or jets, be in Spanish airspace. Another news source says it was a military jet flying lower than usual.

Are sonic booms normally caused by jets because we've lived here 5 years and I've never heard them before?

www.mailonsunday.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
any thing that goes over the speed of sound will make a sonic boom,

Could of been a Meteor

could of been Fighters on a training mission

cant think of anything else so one of those two

or maybe a training day at Al quida suicide camp

[edit on 26-9-2008 by TreX-UK]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The speed of sound is variable so it is possible for an aircraft to accidentally break it. Even a commuter jet, under the proper conditions can break the sound barrier for short periods. Pieces of aircraft approach transonic speeds frequently, which is why you will sometimes see white vapor cones come off certain parts of an aircraft (Prandtl-Glauert singularities). The Sonic Boom of an aircraft, which is breaking the sound barrier, is exceptionally loud, and can carry over a great distance. They have even been known to break windows at times. When the space shuttle lands here in Florida, it emits two sonic booms as it passes overhead, and they can be heard across most of the state. So it could have been fighters out running maneuvers over the ocean, and the sound waves from the sonic boom would carry inland.

Maybe it was these guys:

[edit on 9/26/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Gibraltar RAF base regularly has supersonic aircraft coming and going nearby. This sounds like one going east in hurry...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hmmm. Well official line is that it was a military jet that broke the sound barrier. I just thought it strange I've never heard it before, during the 5 years I've lived here and wondered if it was a common occurence?

I didn't know we had military training going on near here, especially as the international airport is here.

Thanks for the replies.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

In most places there are rules that they are not supposed to cause a sonic boom until they are out over the sea, but it can occasionally happen. We have tons of fighter squadrons here, and it is a rare occurrence when we get one with the exception of the space shuttle. The last time I that I know of one happening here (again minus the space shuttle) was when two F4 fighters from Georgia had to intercept a pilot who was defecting from Cuba.

Cuban Defections
On September 20, 1993, a Cuban pilot defected with his Czech built MiG-21MF to Key West, Florida.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
They've got eurofighter typhoons.
People wouldn't be used to the specific sounds.
So it would seem out of the ordinary.
They would be used to hornets and mirage sounds not eurofighters.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Don't these things leave traces on satellite imagery?I still remember the aurora trails on some show I saw on the history channel showing the''doughnut on a rope''trails that were pretty cool.They went all the way across the united states in a couple of seconds.Check it out.Interesting post.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I dont know enough about sonic booms....but will go and do some research...

Surely someone in that area has heard a sonic boom before and can confirm if it was a similiar noise!

[edit on 27-9-2008 by corvin77]

new topics

top topics

join