It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone define what God is?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Matrix Traveller

Hmm. Honestly no one can tell you or define GOD.
Its simply a word that means many different things upon the context of the word being used at the time.. And by the person using it.

We can agrue all day and night long about this subject, and not everyone will ever agree!
Thats the magic of this. Everyone is wrong.. Yet everyone is right!

I can't tell you what GOD is.. But I can tell you what GOD is not..

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Hi Unlimitedpossibilities.

I look forward to your contribution in this thread.

It will be interesting to where all this goes so I value your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
To answer the original question simply, no. I don't think anyone can define God correctly, and that's why no one knows who or what God is--because there is not a correct definition.

However...

I think there are two definitions of God, which most of the time are misunderstood as the same.

1. The creator of living and non-living organisms.

2. The ultimate non-physical entity or force in control of physical and non-physical laws. A will, if you will.

Now the first is what most religions believe to be the true God, however, I think that is wrong. This type of god/s has a higher God. Humans have this type of God, but is not really the "Most-high God"--rather posers.

The second, we as humans will never understand. Actually I don't think any physical beings fully understand or comprehend this God, but I very well may be wrong.

Personally I don't like using the term 'God', because the majority already has an image in their head of what God is, and what God is about all because of bad intentions from evil powers.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Niobis]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Hmm. Honestly no one can tell you or define GOD.
Its simply a word that means many different things upon the context of the word being used at the time.. And by the person using it.

We can agrue all day and night long about this subject, and not everyone will ever agree!
Thats the magic of this. Everyone is wrong.. Yet everyone is right!

I can't tell you what GOD is.. But I can tell you what GOD is not..

Welcome to the Thread...

Yes you words are true...

If You can tell me what God Is Not, then The Opposite is what he is... LOL

But God is a part of a Tree as in a Structure like a Directory Tree or Family Tree.

But First we must answer what these two components of God are!

In the Book of John in the bible...

God is Two Components The "Word" God and "Life"

It does Not say God was Life as it says The Word was God

So What is Life?

Well it Says The Life in God was The Light of Man...

In Greek where the writing originated from the Word "Phos" was used and "Phos" in Greek means Sun Light, or any other Light emitting from anyt body such as a Star....

The Greek Word "Phos" does Not mean Understanding as it is misrepresented by many.

So Light or Life is in God so these two components must be of something that Life and God are a Part of....

I look forward to you contribution to the thread as I believe what you have said is correct.

Anyway what are your thoughts on the above????

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Niobis

Welcome to the thread Niobis,

Your thought, I believe is the most honest of all and I would tend to agree with you, but in saying this, I think we can understand, if we travel up the Tree in the line of thought you have presented...

So I think we should Not stop here, but have the courage to look further together because at the end of the Day Humanity desires the answers to the Question.

But I do think you are on the right path!

[edit on 26-9-2008 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Whatever you imagine him to be..........

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Welcome to the tread blupblup

Well said...

Quote: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Desiderius Erasmus

All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses.
Friedrich Nietzsche

What is your interpretation of the Word "senses" in this context??? Quote "All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses.

I also look forward to your valued contribution.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I had a very vivid dream a year or so ago, after my Grandfather died.. and he came to me in the dream, to let me know that he's watching over me and my family. I also asked him "Does Heaven and Hell exist?".. and he replied, "Not quite. Heaven is the essence of everything"

And consider the fact that evil, is a by-product of consciousness... it makes sense to me.

And no, I'm not religious. Agnostic at best, and just looking for answers like everyone else, so don't flame me

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Without really wanting to write too much, because i like to keep it simple...

US...

From our own perception or our own reality.

We only have what we know and our experiences.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Matrix TravellerCan anyone define what God is?

Yes.

But I'd get a one liner for revealing the truth.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuzusPetals

Hi ZuzusPetals welcome

Go for it...

I welcome any contribution, as all of us are really wanting to find the truth in the end.

And I believe every man woman and child, has something to contribute toward answering these questions.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Thank you
Yes its very complex and if I tell you what God is not, Then you couldnt use human logic to turn it around and say God is oppiste of what God is not..

Lets see.. God is not angery. God is not hateful. God does not need our money. God is nothing, but everything. God is you and God is me.
I can tell you what God is not.. But I could never be a pretentious fool, and try to claim I know anything beyond what you all know..

But just the way it sounds.. I like the sound of saying..
I dont know what God is.. But I do know what GOD is not

It has a sertin ring to it!

And it goes beyond our human logic and understanding.
To try to understand God is to understand yourself.

And its personal.. And it has much to do with love.
But also has alot to do with our minds, hopes and dreams.

We can hope there is something pure and good. Faith is a good thing.
Yet with all things.. It can be used for manipulation, and can be used to make money.. God is none of these things.
Yet what God is?? I do not know.. I only feel.

Thanks! Everyone seems very nice in this thread, and thats a good change of pace..

Lots of people can get very pissed off when you speak of God.
Becasue to them its what they say and nothing else, or nothing more or less.
But again its a personal deep thing, when we all focus WE are all right! And we are all wrong!!!
God lies somewhere between what we understand, and what we dont understand.
God is more than what we could ever dream. Or know.
Yet is very simple, yet complex..

Its confusing to me to even think.. but thanks for listening!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have no belief. I think there is certainly a minimal, insignificant chance that there may be a creator. But to know what that thing is insignificant. By the way, before anyone adds that to evidence for a judeo-christian god's existence, 'proof' of a creator god isn't evidence for anything other than a creator, i.e no proof that he had a son who was himself, answers prayers etc etc

What there isn't though is a magical sky-grampa that loved you into existence hehe.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
God the all mighty (that which is known as ) is the mass human consciousness this is the oneness ..that acts as a whole

Kind of like a shoal of fish ...each fish is individual yet they are all moved by the influence of the greater need

The Holy ghost is (that which is unknown) ..the unknowable

The knowing that knows it cannot know

The two forks or the two branches of the same tree

The tree itself ......is actually ignorant of itself

It is with out reflection it is neither alive nor dead ..neither the neither of neither ..infinite boundlessness

The Divine Being of itself ....is actually to be that
and in order to be that ...then you would be with out reflection
for there is only one "I" in the universe

I do not know when "I am" divinely being .. (one with all)
I can only know when I am not being it

If that makes any sense

In otherwords ...(God) The Divine being is ignorant of itself

thats why if you meet the buddha along the way ...you kill it

for it is not that which is looked for ...
for it is beyond even the imagination of our human mind
and it is not nothing neither

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Okay. I will try my best. I need to sleep. This is basically just my philosophy, yet under developed, plausible in my mind.

The following arguments necessitate the existence of an infinite universe, if and only if to presuppose and therefore, concede to the existence of infinite possibilities. One locution to be mindful of is the meaning of conceive is used more in the imaginative sense, similar to conceptualize or concept.

(i) Infinite possibilities exist in an infinite universe.
(ii) In order to conceive a God, infinite possibilities must reign true.
(iii) The universe is infinite thus, infinite possibilities indeed reign true.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) Therefore, I am able to conceive a God.

Well, the above argument most likely has huge holes in it, but I am here to contribute, not to be the guru, omniscient being of the thread.

There are contradictions or paradoxes to the belief of infinite possibilities. I show that in my next argument. It is a modified one of the first. However this argument states that logical impossibilities are in fact possibilities, leaving one to believe the argument in self-refuting.

(i) Infinite possibilities exist in an infinite universe.
(ii) The universe is infinite thus, infinite possibilities indeed reign true.
(iii) In order to conceive a God, infinite possibilities must reign true.
(iv) Consequently, if infinite possibilities reign true, then one can think it to be possible for being, and concurrently, not being possible to conceive a God.
(v) Possibilities do not equal impossibilities.
(vi) Infinite possibilities may contain impossibilities.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) Therefore, not able to determine possibilities or impossibilities in regards to a conceptualized God.

This is insane though. I will need to refine this argument.

This argument states that logical impossibilities are in fact possibilities in premise (iv), leaving one to believe the argument in self-refuting. We humans try to conceptualize the infinite. Finite beings trying to conceptualize the infinite leans towards the realm of impossibilities. That is why I attribute humans to having unlimited possible perception and not being of a feeble mind.

BTW: I am a fan of David K. Lewis, if not a worshiper.

Edit: Spacing

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There will come a day when we all will realize that WE are God.

It's a riddle and WE are the answer.

-'We' were made in God's image - huh

-God is creator of life- you don't say...

My 2 cents anyway

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Entrainment

Dangerous. We must always be aware of how unlikely we are, and not get too egotistical as a species. If we think of ourselves as God, then i'm betting that we'd start screwing up pretty damned badly. Better for all species if we keep humility.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Hi zysin5.

It is a very health place, when these things can be explored as a child without bigoted arguing and I think that you have a very healthy approach to the questions about Life.

Yes it is very much a condition of feeling and is very personal.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to take a single line of thought here, as I am more interested in others thoughts...

There is an ancient Christian writing, that is Not in the bible, but it is worth reading.

It is only a couple of pages.

You can possibly find it on the net and is called:-

"The Thunder Perfect Mind"

It is from the Gnostic Library writings.

I am Not a Gnostic, but I have obtained writings from this area as well.

I look forward to your own comments if you get a chance to read it.

I do believe between all of us, if we have the courage to explore the feelings within us together, we may find one day in the future the truth, if we cooperate together and not isolate ourselves from one another.

An old saying "A City divided against itself, shall fall."

I see the City as being all of us collectively.

Anyway, if you get a chance to read "The Thunder Perfect Mind"
I will be interested in your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
reply to post by Entrainment

Dangerous. We must always be aware of how unlikely we are, and not get too egotistical as a species. If we think of ourselves as God, then i'm betting that we'd start screwing up pretty damned badly. Better for all species if we keep humility.

Too late for all that I think... turn on the news

I see it more as the universe operates as a fractal. I've always seen the universe as being God. Think Chinese boxes...

Hence we are a fractal of God.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Lot's of great posts from the spiritually mature. I like Prevenge's post especially.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join