It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone done a bank run, if not, are you considering it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Do you guys realize runs on banks expose their empty pockets and cause the "collapse"?

Im not saying its a bad thing, or anything.
Just thought I would point that out lol.

Originally posted by Brothers
No need to run to a bank if you know that its going under. Just open another account at a different bank and tell them to transfer your account to them. .

Thats a good idea, because it allows the banks to keep it electronic, thus not exposing their empty pockets. lol

[edit on 26-9-2008 by muzzleflash]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Do you guys realize runs on banks expose their empty pockets and cause the "collapse"?

Im not saying its a bad thing, or anything.
Just thought I would point that out lol.

Well, I assume most of us have seen "It's a wonderful life", so yes I know that.
But I'm planning to get there before anyone else.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Technically the FDIC will insure accounts of up to 100,000 dollars. However there is always a price. The FDIC may take up to 5 months to repay you the money and you must fill out a claims form and send it in. If the market does meltdown, 5 months is a long while to wait while inflation takes a terrible toll on the money you are going to be repaid. However if you can survive for up to 5 months without it, then have no worries. Then there is always the possibility of the FDIC not having enough liquidity on hand to pay out to refund the nickels and dimes of the faithful, thus defaulting to printing it outright. In short you will get your money, it MAY not be worth as much WHEN you get it, time will tell that, just throwing the risks out there.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

No, my Bank is solid and is actually making money from this mess. Besides, I have enough in my safe to get me by...

A Bank run would be the worst think anybody could do. It would quickly become a panic and your precious $$$ would devaluate so much that they wouldn't be worth the paper, or cotton, they are printed on...Think total economic collapse.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthWolfe CND

How do we know you're not just saying that so you can get your money out first?

Don't panic!

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I did a bank run two days ago. I didn't close my account. I just left 50 bucks in there and then when I need to pay bills I will deposit the exact amount. My bank seems pretty secure too, but I don't want to take any chances. I was actually thinking about taking a trip to the airport to get my money exchanged into foreign currency.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Me and my husband decided 2 months ago to withdrawl his 401k. I pulled out all my savings and payed off my home mortgage. I still have the checking account, most of that is to pay bills with not much left over. I have a few thousand in a safe at home for an emergency. There is too many banks going bankrupt for me to feel secure.

All I hear is that your money is insured by the FDIC, up to 100,000.
How can the FDIC insure all that money if the Ultimate financial meltdown does happen ? Nobody's money would be worth squat right?

If this does happen, and what little I have in the safe , well I could one day give it to my grandkids as a sovigner of times gone by....
This whole mess is just depressing

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

My husband and I have thought about withdrawing our money, but we still haven't come to a decision about it. I used to believe that FDIC would protect us if something happened and the bank went under. I just don't know if we can count on that anymore.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidCrystalz

the EXACT same dialogue going on right now will happen again, but instead of wall street the name will be main street.

bills will pass with unanimous votes and we will be "saved"; its happened atleast twice this year.

on the flip side of the coin, what will happen if all banks lose their liquidity of capital?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
if total financial meltdown truly occures, then the dollar bills in you pocket will be the LEAST of your worries, i assure you.

[edit on 27-9-2008 by drsmooth23]

[edit on 27-9-2008 by drsmooth23]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
[
Anyone that has a checking and/or savings account at WAMU your money is safe. The FDIC insures your account up to 100K And they have already said you will have access to your accounts and the WAMU branches will be open tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by seabisquit

According to other threads on ATS the FDIC can only cover about 10% of all deposits . If there really is a run , your money would be worthless anyway. I took mine out a year ago and converted everything to survival gear(guns will be like gold soon enough,as well as generators) and commodities. I forsee a run on the 401k's also. When I cashed mine in months ago it took two months to get the cash so what do you think it will be like if everyone wants to cash in. Prepare now for the s storm that is around the corner.

Its not paranoia if they are actually trying to kill you.

We are freaking doomed-Mogumbo

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Well, I assume most of us have seen "It's a wonderful life", so yes I know that.

Potter(the elitists) is trying to bail out George Bailey(Us) by offering him money that he stole from Uncle Billy(us) in order to save him from his own stupidity.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Could gold be more vauable thab just its moneytery value. It could have a value worth much more that we are publicly unaware of - It is already used by Hospitals as part of many life saving treatments. What other uses could it have??

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I am SO freaking upset ...

For the last couple years probably, I have kept almost $4 in my WAMU checking account. Just to keep it open, just to have it so I could conduct other business.

Then, suddenly, they threw a couple "OVERDRAFT fees" at my account, the DAY they CLOSE DOWN !!! omg, they just got bought. They are gone, and somehow I am in debt with them.

This is unbeleivable. Did they do this to anyone else, just before closing down forever? I am really not dealing with this very well.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I think it is all a numbers game anyway played by money merchants. The amounts of money that they play around with; I believe doesn't really exist on paper (paper money).

I don't know where the amounts of money that move actually exists. They are now using the word trillions of dollars/ pounds? If in fact, all this money really existed then there should be no homeless, poor, or hungry people in the world.

So to me, it is pointless to make a run on a bank, when they just make up the numbers to cause confusion and manipulate the populace at large.

I have witnessed people behaving erratically,when the money merchants toy with the public. I have seen panic spending on items such as bread, petrol,etc. Then I have seen people after being told the economy is healthy spend, spend, spend. Then when the money merchants proclaim that they are facing financial difficulty-they know people are going to make a run on their banks.

It all comes down to control, control, control.

I watched a programme about the financial crisis, and three keywords I told my husband to listen for from the panel came into play.I told him that those key words proved that it is all a game.

One of the panelists even admitted it blatantly, but nobody added to his comment, and no doubt the majority of the public didn't pick up on what was said, as the other panellists were playing the panic game to the hilt, which meant that the panellist, who admitted the truth comment was made obscure.

It is all about control and manipulation. I don't buy into the scaremongering.
Somebody tried to put a rumour around that my building society was going into liguidation. It was false, and some people, along with the person that started the rumour had fell into the trap. He got so panicked by the propraganda pouring out on the television that he was convinced that the building was going to go the way of Northern Rock.

I checked my building society out on the London Stock Exchange and I found out it was perfectly sound and rated at the top, as being the best investment company in the country to date.

Despite, we have some money in the building society less than £500. Our building society classes us as shareholders,and had that been the case, we would have been notified in writing about the threat of liquidation.

Personally, I don't buy into the propraganda machine that is on the telly, and in the newspapers.

I live one day at a time,and leave the rest to G-d. Life is too short to panic at every news story on air, or online,or telly.

I have a loan that is almost paid up to date, which will be finished in 2009. My credit rating is high, and I pay cash for everything. I don't have a credit card, but have built up my credit rating without one.

As for Lloyds, they allowed £350 of my money to be stolen from my account through a debit card that fell into somebody else's hands in London. I live in Norwich. The card never ever came to me. It turned out that Lloyds owed me £750.00 which they refuse to pay back on bank charges, on which some of those charges incurred because of the theft that they allowed on my account.

So when it comes to financial institutions, big isn't always better. I am happy with my building society and am glad to be one of their customers.

It is the Norwich and Peterborough here in the UK, and it makes Lloyd look like a greedy money merchant. The N&P look out for their customers, and their staff know their customers faces to speak to and know their voices over the phone.

Also, I know that if their was a theft on my account that they would rectify the problem. Lloyds looked at our account, before they looked at us.

I like a financial institution that treats me like I am important, regardless of how much money I have coming in.

It seems strange that Lloyds had to bail out Halifax. Lloyds merged with TSB, and now with HBOS, and Halifax. Lloyds is going to become too big like Merrill Lynch and will probably end up going the same way. It seems to me that these large finance companies get so big that they don't know what their other hand is doing.

Give me a building society anyday, and before you make a run on your bank. Research the bank online, ring the headquarters, and keep an eye on your accounts.

Don't react immediately when the Henny Penny's of the press, or media say the sky is falling. Just remain calm and check out the facts, once you know the facts and have the information in front of you, then it is up to you to decide what to do with it.

Besides, those at the top of the financial ladder have further to fall then those of us at the bottom.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I don't know if they have done this to anyone else.
But if it shows up on your Chase statement my advice to you is to bite the bullet and and clear it up.
I speak from experience, you don't want to throw down with Chase.
They'll spend a hundred dollars in paper and postage to recover five buck and crap on your credit in the process.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Has anyone done a bank run

I did. Two years ago.

While I was at it I also exchanged dollars out for yen and euros. I tried Swiss marcs as well, but for some reason I've never understood, it's terribly difficult to get my bank to keep them in stock, no matter how many times I've asked for it.

I've not the faith in metals that some people have. The US Government has seized gold before, it will do so again if it chooses.

What prompted me to do this? In 2004-2005 I was regularly attending foreclosure auctions, and generally being chatty with real estate investors. At that time it was common knowledge in those circles that the housing market was going to collapse. It was simply a question of when. So I kept my eyes open.

Two years ago we started seeing bank runs in Britian. Curiously, Britain was the (only?) european country that chose not to abandon it's native currency in favor of the euro. I've always suspected that their financial problems were being engineered to manipulate them into abandoning the pound. It's a common premise in internet conspiracy theories that "the plan" is for all world currencies to be phased out in favor of the amero, the euro and the yen.

So when reality started to look like it was matching those theories, I paid attention.

*shrug*

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I cashed out a decent sized annuity because it was not FDIC insured and moved it to a money market account at a local bank

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join