It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cross a false idol???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Let me start by saying i do believe in god and consider mydelf a Christian.
That doesnt meen that I dont think or wonder or research all the time.
One of the things that has always worried me is that in the old testament it says do not worship false gods or idols. Now to play it safe(Im a pesimist) Ive often thought that the jews were the hight percentage of going to heaven lol (Your saying :::Christian huh)!!! but of all believers in God Islam, catholics/Christians , the Jews follow the "original" text the most seriously and correctly
so what if "Jesus" was not who he says he was, then Christians and believers of the cross(around my neck right now) have violated one of the biggest no no"s of gods laws..

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bugs_n_recovery

Well the cross was a pagan symbol, They only adopted it to convert the pagans to christianity,and they generally didn't nail people to crosses.

If they were to have crucified Jesus (which is highly unlikely) then it would have been to a tree or a stump of some kind.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I have always felt that kneeling down and praying before a statue, like a giant crucifix, was idolatry. Even if Jesus was exactly who believers think he is. Would Jesus himself have wanted us to worship in front of a statue of him dieing? Or that symbol of death, the cross. Why not at least the symbol of resurrection, like a stone door or something?

The truth is that the cross has far deeper esoteric meaning than the modern, commonly accepted interpretation.

[edit on 9/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I can see where you might be able to construe it that way if you were wearing a crucifix, in that it has a depiction of Jesus on the cross, however even then it's not really something one would pray to as an idol, but a symbology of the crucifixion.

Likewise, I think your cross is a symbology of your faith, or perhaps it is more than that -- perhaps someone you care about gave it to you and it holds a dual purpose as a reminder of that person as well. These are images, in my opinion that people carry and hold as representative symbologies of their beliefs.

Now, if you actually thought the embodiment of God or your diety were WITHIN the physical cross, then that might be more of a worshipping of an idol.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes I believe it is a false idol, always have since I learned about Idol worhip in the Old Testament. Jesus didn't worship the cross or any other idols. He worshiped the same God as I do. The same God that was written about in the Torah, Tanak, Jewish Holy Scriptures, and Old Testament.

The New Testament in my view, is a book of pure Idol worship.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not just the cross but Jesus Christ himself has become a golden idol. However that doesn't mean there is no truth behind the accounts, but rather some men didn't think the actual story was as interesting without putting a mythological spin on it. For a more accurate accounting check out the Urantia Book and piss a christian off.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Found this:

"• Scandanavia: The Tau cross symbolized the hammer of the God Thor.
• Babylon: the cross with a crescent moon was the symbol of their moon deity.
• Assyria: the corners of the cross represented the four directions in which the sun shines.
• India: In Hinduism, the vertical shaft represents the higher, celestial states of being; the horizontal bar represents the lower, earthly states.
• Egypt: The ankh cross (a Tau cross topped by an inverted tear shape) is associated with Maat, their Goddess of Truth. It also represents the sexual union of Isis and Osiris.
• Europe: The use of a human effigy on a cross in the form of a scarecrow has been used from ancient times. In prehistoric times, a human would be sacrificed and hung on a cross. The sacrifice would later be chopped to pieces; his blood and pieces of flesh were widely distributed and buried to encourage the crop fertility."

source click

Seems like the cross has been around for a long time.

(edited: can't get the block quote to work--sorry)

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Pamie]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would suggest that whilst the cross itself is not idolotary, the whole praying to jesus thing is.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

beleivers of the cross????

dense man, i think jesus was crucified, that doesnt mean i worship the cross though. but keep thinking that way if ya want, its your right.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The cross itself is a powerful tool, but is only a reminder of what Jesus did for us. If jesus was killed in more modern times, people would probably have little nooses or electric chairs hanging around thier necks....

I have always felt that many believers tend to idolise not just the cross but the crucifix. Depicting jesus as still being on the coss dead or dying.
They kneel before it and often pray to it as they do with saints and statues of saints. They act as if these items have 'magical' abilities to answer the prayers and this diverts attention from God.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

thats a generalization, a sterotype. in no way shape or form do most people do what you describe, sure alot of people do, but certainly not all.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Great! All I need now is for certain members to get the idea that I made that statement as an absolute...

I did not say that absolutely every believer does this or even most. I for one do not.

I have always felt that many believers

Many is not most. Many is alot, but not the large majority.

Bugs asked if the cross is a false idol and I merely stated that for some it appears to be.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
thanks pureevil your a real nice guy lol
thanks for the input guyz.
most of what i was refering to is what 4x4fun stated

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

i said
in no way shape or form do most people

you said
I have always felt that many believers tend to idolise.

take what i said into context, then maybe it will make sense brother.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bugs_n_recovery
thanks pureevil your a real nice guy lol

seems i have been taken completely wrong, my apolagies.

proceed.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
pureevil you refered to my post with the word "DENSE"
anyway enough non subject!!
and speaking of non subject.
on another note How couls the "puritans" actually believe they were doing what Jesus would do"??

I know this is maybe for another thread but while I have your attention(and thats hard to do for me)
I thought I would ask,,

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

i wrote that when i was under the influence, so thats my defense, but your right enough non-subject.

i dont know about the puritans, so i will look into it and see what i can find. in the mean time, what do you think ?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I have always wondered why a religion that claims to be about life is so obsessed with a symbol of death. could you have imagined if Jesus had been murdered on a guillotine? Would ppl wear guillotines around their necks? how ironic

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I thank you guyz for bringing up the Idea about how jesus feel about people worshiping the cross on wich he died.
I have never even thought about that!!
come to think of it ? Ive never thought about all the different sects of christianity and what he would have thought(or does think) about there different rules and ways of life.
I'm pretty sure he does"nt think more highly of preachers who heal on TV or evangelicals and all the money that floats around, and if you read the bible he preached against judgement hypocracy, material wealth and from most the churches and so called christians I know they do just that..
dont get me wrong I am a christian and I'm not trying to judge (how ironic) but the hypocracy is what turns most people away from religion..
even I am not religious but I am a believer and there is a big difference

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
last 2 posts were excellent, idolising the cross is a big no no if you ask me, i take this up with my church going friends alot, if you ask me any church that has a cross in front of it, needs to be taken down. just my opinion.

im not religious either, but i believe. religion is an abomination, also just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join