It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Drops off 9 Kids at Hospital Under Nebraska Safe Haven Law!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Here is the first update I found.

www.examiner.com...

OMAHA, Neb. (Map, News) - An out-of-work widower who abandoned nine of his children at a hospital under Nebraska's new safe haven law said he was overwhelmed without his wife and just "fell apart."

"I hope they know I love them," Gary Staton told KETV. "I hope their future is better without me around them."

The unique law allows caregivers to abandon babies and teenagers alike at hospitals without fear of prosecution. Originally intended to protect infants, it was expanded in a legislative compromise to protect any "child." Some have interpreted that to mean anyone under 19.

Staton anonymously left the five boys and four girls - ages 1 to 17 - at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room on Wednesday night. He has a 10th child, a daughter who is 18 and was not dropped off.

Staton said his wife died early last year, shortly after delivering their youngest child. He said he quit his job because of his family responsibilities but couldn't pay rent or utilities or take care of his kids.

click on link for the rest of the story

Ha so he did have a wife. She did die. I was right. Sorry I posted the first post before reading to the end of the thread.

See there were a lot of judgements in this thread without knowing the guy's story.

Thing change all the time, and yesterday you could be a happy seventh heaven family getting by, and tomorrow, not able to make ends meet.

I am sure with some counciling and some community support, we can get this family back together.

Right now he thinks they will be better off without him, but in time when his grief passes a bit, I think he will see it differently.

Right now those kids are going to remind him of her, and the life they shared, and it's going to be overwhelming, for him, but also for them, because his abandonment means they are losing a mom and dad. I hope he comes around in time to see this.

Thanks for the updated link.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

You are basicly a slave and a meal ticket if you are in Foster care. What a ^%^$ joke.

Bootcamp is a holiday compared with the crap a person or a child goes through at or in Foster Homes.

All of my peace and love to you

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
www.marinij.com...

State: Family will take in abandoned Neb. siblings
By TIMBERLY ROSS Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 09/26/2008 07:55:22 AM PDT

OMAHA, Neb.—Relatives of nine siblings who were abandoned by their father under Nebraska's new safe haven law may be granted custody.
A spokeswoman for the state department Health and Human Services officials said Friday that a number of family members have volunteered to take the siblings, ranging in age from 1 to 17.

Staff members are doing the required background checks in hopes of placing the children in the next few days.

The siblings were dropped off Wednesday night at an Omaha hospital. Their widowed father said he was no longer able to care for them.

The spokeswoman says the father did not reach out to relatives for help before abandoning them.

State law allows caregivers to leave a child at a hospital without fear of prosecution.

Extended family to the rescue. He has 10 kids, the oldest is an 18 year old, who just graduated highschool, she was helping to take care of the younger ones. The mother died just after the youngest was born, he had to quit his job to take care of them, he says he loves them very much.

I am sure if this guy was not so grief stricken he would have been thinking clearly and would have turned to the extended family for help, before turning to the state for help.

With 9 kids, you need to have at least one primary care giver at home. If he could stay at home and still pay the bills, I am sure he would have kept them together. Also people are ashamed to ask for help. Clearly this guy was taking care of his family for 20 years, while the wife was at home with the kids. 10 kids it's safe to say someone was at home taking care of them.

Life changes, people fall apart, I hope he get's the help and care of the community. I hope he takes the kids back in. I am sure the 18 year old and 17 year old can help him with the others. I know they are still young, but that's what families do.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by candyfloss

"At the end of the day it's a womans body"

I don't follow that reasoning. My wife had a tubal ligation after having our third child, but as you said, there is no form of contraception that is 100% effective. Now she is pregnant again and a prenatal doctor said there was a good chance of a chromosome disorder and mental retardation. My wife is pro-life so I have no legal choice but to support her decision for the next 18 years. If she was to die as in the case of this man, (which is possible as she is slated to go to Iraq in 2009), I am solely responsible for my kids. And I agree with that. But the "my body, my choice" mantra just sounds selfish to me as it is not that simple.
Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread. I'm usually just a reader rather than a poster. But I had to get that out.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
it's great to see that there is a solution being fond out for the children.

i saw this in the article this morning:

Staton and his wife were cited in 2004 for child neglect, according to Omaha police records. An article in a North High School newspaper quoted Staton's oldest daughter as saying she graduated at 16, in part to care for her younger siblings.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by zooplancton]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brian2384

"At the end of the day it's a womans body"

I don't follow that reasoning. My wife had a tubal ligation after having our third child, but as you said, there is no form of contraception that is 100% effective. Now she is pregnant again and a prenatal doctor said there was a good chance of a chromosome disorder and mental retardation. My wife is pro-life so I have no legal choice but to support her decision for the next 18 years. If she was to die as in the case of this man, (which is possible as she is slated to go to Iraq in 2009), I am solely responsible for my kids. And I agree with that. But the "my body, my choice" mantra just sounds selfish to me as it is not that simple.
Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread. I'm usually just a reader rather than a poster. But I had to get that out.
You make a very interesting and valid point.I was talking in general terms about the abortion debate but every individual case is different so that's why I object to the blanket ban approach of the pro- lifers.Why do you have no legal choice?Why are you not allowed to express your resevations about the health of your child and the possibilty your wife will be serving in Iraq?It sounds like you have already started a family and there are other children to consider so I see why you can identify with the father in the story if the worst happened which I profoundly hope it does'nt,good luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Truth is..none of you know what the real story is. In all actuality, if he did indeed have 9 children to care for, social services would be there, public school is there 8+ hours a day, there are resources. I am disgusted to see anyone make such vagrantly stupid remarks alluring to the fact that this is due to the size of his family. I know and have known many large families, from all walks of life, and I've never met any that did not believe every child was worthy and had a special future. And I might add, none of these families were well off. In an Amish community for instance, it is quite normal to see families range from 7 to 17 children. These are hard working moral minded people and 99% of them produce the most excellent crop of adults one could hope to find.
As the pro-abortion liberal bunch keep pushing this agenda, their numbers are decreasing..and the right-wing large families are increasing.
*think about what happened in the depression era and Nazi Germany*

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I don't see whats so bad about this really, If you can't take care of your kids, You cant take care of your kids. its better than kicking them out on the street or leaving babies half dead in garbage cans in crack head alley.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There is also the possibility of the guy going to jail for some form of child endangerment or something, if he continued to try and take care of all those kids with no money. If that happened, he would still loose all those kids, and incur all kinds of legal debts for when he does get out of prison.

Remember the law is NOT about right or wrong, it about WHO GETS PAID!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Why would you give your 17 year old kid away? You raised them that long and you just throw them out???

A 17 year old can have a job and easily buy their own items, if it were that big of a deal.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That was my rant about the "my body, my choice" argument. There are certainly reasons why that statement is valid though, such a rape. I'm not anti-abortion but it seems that men are not taken into consideration until after birth of the child. Nor do they have the choice to keep the child if so desired. (don't get me wrong, many men are quite happy when their significant other aborts.) And I thank you for wishing good luck.

To get back to the original post, when the man was still anonymous, I was rather iritated by the attacks on him. Maybe half of those kids weren't even bioligically his. Perhaps he had "no choice" in deciding whether to keep or abort his children. Anyway, that's my train of thought in this crazy world with no easy answers.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Squat the why's, how, when, where the important thing is that all the kids are safe. Nobody can judge this man for his actions, lord only know's the reasons why this man had to do what he did, as a matter of fact I applause his action. No one is never satisfied, he droped the kids of at a safe place and is "oh my god, monster!' If he does something horrible to the kids "monster!" So what is it people? It hurts my heart to think what these kids including this man have/had to endure. I only wish the best for them.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

I don't want to paint it like all foster parents are terrible. But I think the ones with a smaller amount of children (3 or less), are much better than the "children mills" that have 10 + kids in them. Foster care was not that regulated when I was there, but maybe it's better now, I really don't know. Problem with these children: any family they end up with, if they all go to the same family, well, they probably will end up with 10 or 11 kids. I doubt they'd end up with a family that has never had children.

Lately it seems all the rage to be someone who adopts a Chinese or Korean child. While I am all for helping any needy child, it's a pity that we have so many children that need help in our own country. bah.. I'm slightly bitter about my childhood (or lack thereof).

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This man dropped off his nine children; having children is not a crime. Let's bail him out, whatever his problem may be.
We' re going to bail out the banks and what they have done is truly a monumental crime.

Alen Braxx

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Maybe the father didn't seek help from family-members because they weren't in much better financial situation than he ? There might have been friction within the extended family which caused him to believe, in his grief, that he was alone with no-one to turn to ?

After all, if it had been a close family network and if extended family had been financially Ok, you'd imagine they would have kept an eye on this distraught father and his children and would have been there to help so that this situation didn't arise.

I hoped for a happy ending, as I said in an earlier post. And am very relieved the father didn't harm himself after dropping his children at the hospital. He's a strong man. It took guts to do as he did.

Maybe he explained to the children that the separation would only be for a short while and as soon as he was able, he'd bring them home ? I have a feeling that's what was in his mind .. he just needed some time to put himself and the future together again.

Won't be easy for the children to live with strangers .. it never is. But at least the older ones will be able to see a future for themselves, further down the road .. and they'll be able to put some optimism into the younger ones and take care of them. They're together, which is the main thing. Otherwise the father and his older children would feel terrible guilt about the younger ones, had they all been separated. And guilt, on top of grief and sense of hopelessness, is horribly defeating.

I'm very happy to learn of the outcome of this very sad story and believe it will end up well for all concerned. Very happy. And the best of wishes to all of them

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This remindes me of a story my GrandMother told me. Back in the depression they had what was called "railroad orphens" Parents from the big cities would drop off their kids to travel west on the railroad. They would stop by a small town for farmers to adopt to do work at the farm. Could this be the beginning of the next Great Drepression?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Nine kids? How much do you want to bet he's going to go right out and make some more. How responsible of him.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Father Drops off 9 Kids at Hospital Under Nebraska Safe Haven Law!

ap.google.com

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Nine children were left at a hospital by their father late Wednesday under the state's new safe haven law, a move officials say illustrates the problems many feared when the rule went into effect.

The father, who was not identified, left the children aged 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room.

The law, which went into effect in July, allows caregivers to abandon children at any state-licensed hospital without fear of prosecution. It was initially intended to protect infants — like similar laws in other states — but was amended to include children and teenagers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

he probably found out about food stamp increase getting vetoed

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
reply to post by fleabit

You are basicly a slave and a meal ticket if you are in Foster care. What a ^%^$ joke.

Bootcamp is a holiday compared with the crap a person or a child goes through at or in Foster Homes.

All of my peace and love to you

he probably lost his trailer to foreclosure.Lost his wife to a mule.And then the mule left to Tijuana.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join