It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Czechs say Russian spies stir against U.S. base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Czechs say Russian spies stir against U.S. base

www.reuters.com

PRAGUE (Reuters) - Russian spies are extremely active in the Czech Republic and are stirring public sentiment against a planned U.S. missile defense base, the Czech counter-intelligence agency said on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Russia, increasingly aggressive in foreign policy, fiercely opposes the plan, which will bring U.S. military hardware into countries that once belonged to the former Soviet empire.

"The intelligence services of the Russian Federation have attempted in the past year to contact, infiltrate and influence people and organizations that have influence on public opinion," the BIS report said.

"Russian espionage activities in the Czech Republic currently reach an exceptionally high intensity."

Well looks like the Russians are just as active in the old disinfo stakes as the CIA. I wonder how this is going to pan out now the lid is off?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
For russia this is a serious issue, what do you guys think they are going to do. They need to keep nato away from there borders, full stop.

I doubt it only started a year ago, these are big stakes thats being played for here, and its about the defence of russia.

[edit on 9/25/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
as I live in europe, not so far away from..

70% of people in Czech Republik are AGAINST the USA base, radar, etc
they do not need any russian support, they want to have a referendum on it
in Poland in fact it is the same situation, in fact about 70% would be against

but there is NOT referendum and this is how the democrasy looks like

the 2 cold war is going on. people can starving and die from disasters, doesnt matter. weapons, war, army. for what?

I can tell you - in secret - for MONEY

Haliburton will be happy
and his friends too, oh yes yes yes

just you may be not aware that the missile defence system is proven to be 20% effective in ideal conditions, not during any war. russia with the new Topol M is able to go thru this - the problem is, that the missiles which are in the base could be equipped with nuclear weapons too, so however NOBODY WILL SAY THIS IS AGRESSIVE WEAPON - it can be, too

this is why russia is simply - a little frightened

ps - what would say the press in america if Cuba would have nuclear warheads? or antimissile system, which could be also equipped with them?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sechmet

the 2 cold war is going on. people can starving and die from disasters, doesnt matter. weapons, war, army. for what?

Haliburton will be happy

just you may be not aware that the missile defence system is proven to be 20% effective in ideal conditions, not during any war. russia with the new Topol M is able to go thru this - the problem is, that the missiles which are in the base could be equipped with nuclear weapons too, so however NOBODY WILL SAY THIS IS AGRESSIVE WEAPON - it can be, too

this is why russia is simply - a little frightened

ps - what would say the press in america if Cuba would have nuclear warheads? or antimissile system, which could be also equipped with them?

Well if the Czechs dont want a missile defense system then we will make sure they dont get one.I for one will notify congress to block any sales to the Czechs since they dont need a missile defence system as per what their people say.Same goes for the Ukraine and any other countries in Europe that want out.While we are on the subject lets renegotiate or turf NATO since most europeans hate the US.No point in americans spending money on countries that dont like us.Americans need money spent at home not on nations who constantly verbally attack us from across the pond.The EU can fund their own defence now via Russia.The EU gets their energy from Russia so why not weapons hmmm?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11

Originally posted by sechmet

Haliburton will be happy

sechmet Thank you for your post, we don't get many people from the old Eastern Bloc posting on ATS, We are searching for the truth and it's balances an increasingly militaristic gung ho type of Forum.

Justice 11

He the US imports most of your oil from Arab's who hate America, why don't you stop importing it?

Also most of European Countries make their own Weapons.

Im confused too if the weapons the USA wants to place all over Russia's border are there as you postulate to "protect" those very host nation's, well how is it a US Missile Defense Shield? is it protecting the host countries or the US?

In addition I think its pretty plain to see, that in the event of any military action between Russia and the USA, these very missile shields, would be attacked? within the host nations?

It does not sound like they are protecting them too me, just bringing bombs and missiles down on the civilians!.

Kind Regards,

Elf

Edit for BB madness!

[edit on 25-9-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It not only protects the US vicariously (US allies beeing nuked hurts the US too) But it gives Europe a chance to stop nuclear missiles. I don't know if it so much aimed at Russia as more Pakistan and the middle East in general. It's not just Iran that was seeking a nuclear arsenal.

If I had the choice of having one or not, I am still undecided which side of the fence I would want to be on giving the hostility it causes.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Where exactly is the proof that what is being said in the article is the truth? While I wouldn't necessarily be surprised that Russia is overtly trying to influence the Czech government to change it's mind, I think that much more opposition to the ABM shield is coming from within Czech republic. There are still many Czech factions left over from the Cold War, that are bitterly opposed to NATO and lean towards Russia. For propaganda sake, the Czech government is passing these factions off as Russian spies - when they are actually Czechs.

The Czech government and people have a tough choice to make. Untill now Czech Republic had no enemies - it was friendly to both Russia and U.S. and stayed neutral militarily. Now if it decides to place the ABM shield, it will gain an ally (U.S.) and an enemy (Russia).

Now for a small country what choice is the better:

1. Stay on good terms with everyone and maintain neutrality.

or

2. Build a military alliance with a country half a world away, while becoming an enemy of a country right next to you.

The Czech government is trying to rush the decision (as Poland already did). There is absolutely no need for that - Czech Republic is not any sort of imminent danger. I think the country should take some time to consider all consequences, and hopefully hold a referendum.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

There seems to be confusion, this is not a missile shield we are talking about here, it is a radar base. There is no offensive capability here, although personally I can perfectly understand why russia views this as a threat being so close to their borders.

Czech Republic, U.S. sign SOFA treaty related to radar base

PRAGUE, Sept. 19 (Xinhua) -- The United States and the Czech republic signed the SOFA treaty (Status of Forces Agreement) on the conditions of the presence of the American soldiers at the planned U.S. radar base in London, the Czech news agency CTK said on Friday.

The 34 articles of SOFA, sighed by U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and his Czech counterpart Vlasta Parkanova, were formulated after 16 months of negotiations.

The document will only relate to the U.S. personnel who will be connected with the radar base, Parkanova said previously.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan
There seems to be confusion, this is not a missile shield we are talking about here, it is a radar base.

I know - but this radar is part of the integrated ABM network. The actual missiles will be in Poland, while Czech Republic would host the radars for the system. As such - the Czech Republic would be a part of the ABM shield as far as Russia is concerned.

The often mentioned fact that this is not an offensive system - is not so much relevant as the issue of this being part of the U.S. strategy to create a buffer zone around Russia. To Russia - this is symbolic of a wall being build around them. Furthermore, if the defensive measures of this ABM shield eventually improve and start to neutralize Russia's nuclear capabilities, they are just as dangerous as offensive equipment. Theoretically a strong enough missile shield could one day allow U.S. to stage a first nuclear strike against Russia, without being afraid of a counterstrike.

But of course Russia won't allow this to happen. U.S. will work to improve the ABM system and increase its power, while Russia will work to create new ICBM. The issue is - that Russia doesn't want to restart this senseless buildup. It will cost both sides a considerable amount of money, and Russia would rather avoid it, then be forced by the U.S. into a new Cold War.

top topics

join