It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the three best foods to have?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
steak, beer, wodka .... oh do drinks also count?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
If you plan to shelter-in-place, stock up on... 1) canned spinach... 2) canned meats containing a high sodium content... 3) well-sealed bags of rice.

Get yourself a high-quality, easy to clean water filter and pre-scout where the nearest natural water sources are in relation to your location and have some water carrying bags and a large backpack. I am in the process of stocking a minimum of 3 months supply of the above items for 2 people (and I live alone, so doubling up is for whomever I end up teaming up with wheneve the sh** hits the fan. You need a lookout while you are sleeping, so you guard stuff in shifts.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
1) Twinkies, good energy source, high in calories, will last forever.

2) Cheetos, yellow residue will hide your fingerprints when you're stealing someone else's food.

3) Bean soup, gas cloud will keep others from stealing your food.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by zlots331]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Potatos, Brown rice, Peanuts a bit boring yes but still good staples. For meat id be trapping and fishing.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Sardines,..............

This is not a one line post,

Sailor

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If your on an island in the middle of the ocean that would be awesome. Most everything around you in the water is food. I would bring stuff to put on food to improve taste. Like katsup,salt,pepper.

Catching fish is easy you can make your own tidepools with rock walls. When the tide goes out small fish are trapped. And they are easy to catch because all the water filtered out through the rock wall. High and low tide make fishing easy.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Though not a necessity, I would have to have coffee, it is a survival tool for me personally.

I think you can generally hunt or fish for meat. But rice would not be easy to come around.
so i would pick rice
I have not had practise with growing beans either. Plus if they are anything like peas, they take a lot of time and energy, and space to grow, and pick.

tomatoes are very versatile but easy to grow.

I think maybe third will be cranberries.

fruit, good for you. helps keep the UTIs away.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Peanut butter has essential fats, protein, and sugar all rolled into one.

Rice is good filler and easy to keep. Rural Asia lives off the stuff, with a little fat and proein sprinkled in here and there.

Salt (don't know if this counts as "food") is an absolute must. Many boxes of iodized salt shold be stored. Bodies don't work well without it, and goiter is a B@#CH. You should see what wild critters show up if you dump some salt in your backyard.

If peanut butter ain't your bag, store up olive oil and take a spoonfull every day. Your body will not work without some fat. Even if you plan to hunt game, wild critters are so lean you will need the extra to prevent "rabbit starvation"(google that) Also has lots of good vitamins.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
There is a conversation starter that I play every once in a while:
if you were going to be stranded on a desert island for a year and could only take three foods, what would they be?

But this got me to thinking, in a survival situation,if you were gonna stock up on a few foods, what would be the best ones?

What woudl have the highest nutritional content, the most protein and vitamins? fat and calories?

Maybe versatility could be considered too. Like tomatoes can be fried, a sauce, baked, soups, raw, etc.

So in your opinion, what would be the three best foods to have?

I am thinking
beans
avocados
steak

Rice
Beans
Meat based foods

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The pemmican recipe was

dried berries ground 1/3
available nuts ground 1/3
jerky buffalo deer elk ground 1/3
mixed with rendered fat enough to make a doughy paste

mix well make into 1 cup sized balls coat out side of ball with a layer of lard tallow ect .

Old books state when pemmican was made this way and were put into a leather bag sewn shut and coated with grease or lard . These food supplies could last 6 months to a 1year depending on weather .

Could be eaten as is or heated as a base for a stew or soup .

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hmm, the jury is still out on the use of Cranberries for UTI's. There is no actual hard evidence that Cranberries keep UTI's at bay. There have been four US studies on this and they were found to be inconclusive. Other than that, they would be good for the Vitamin C content.

My top three would be:-

Potatoes (The most versatile veg there is)
Spinach
Garlic

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
If you don't know yet what quinoa is, you need to look into it.

Man is a machine. It requires about 70% of its caloric intake to be carbohydrates about 15% to be both fat and another protine.

Quinoa:
en.wikipedia.org...
is a seed that acts as a grain but it is balanced unlike any other food. It is on the most healthy "Super Foods" list as it is been shown to be one of only a handful of foods you could survive on strictly.

It's light and stores for long periods of time well. It boils up quickly taking 1:2-1:3 ratios of quinoa and water. A serving can be as little as 1/4 cup.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Avocados- loaded with nutrition and yummy too
rice- a huge percent of the worlds population seem to exist on this quite happily, its very filling too
lipton black tea bags- I wouldnt want to live without my cuppas

I would hope there would be coconuts, mangoes and plenty of fresh seafood availably on the island. I could sustain myself on these foods happily.

for entertainment-David Beckham

[edit on 23-11-2008 by marydoll]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
but do you has cheeseburger?

-

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
We definitely need to be looking at foods that can be stored for long periods without degrading.

This could mean long periods without power, so simply relying on fridges and freezers are out.

I am going to start looking at traditional ways of preparing food for storage, and see what sort of duration of storage you could reasonably expect.

In the meantime I can only echo the above comments that we should be storing some of all the 3 main macronutrients: Protein, Carbohydrate and Fats. We need all of these to survive. And I would suggest that stockpiled food isn't just stored and forgotten about, it should be used and rotated fequently, with attention paid to shelf lives so that in the even of a sit x, you give yourself the largest amount of breathing space.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
As i said above

Potatoes-highly versatile loaded with carbs plus the skin provides vitamin C and trace amounts of potassium, B6, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. Also the fiber content of a potato with skin (2 grams) equals that of many whole grain breads, pastas, and cereals.

White and Brown Rice-Again a simple food staple that a child can prepare. Id mix a ratio of 3/4 white and brown rice. if you have a good water source that you can defend then you can grow rice or try a hand at hydroponic farming of other fruits and veggies.

Peanuts-Taste great, easy to come by down my way and last for a long long time far as i know. Good source of protein and a great staple. Can be eaten raw, boiled, steamed, roasted basicly however you want.

Check here for more nutritional info,
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Granola
Beef Jerky
Peanut Butter
This for a survival kit.

However... White Castle, Subway, and Chinese for pleasure

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

but do you has cheeseburger?

-

we has cheezburgers "on the hoof"!!!

1 more line more better.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
but my first question would be vitamin c source ? to prevent scurvy

Pine needles. Pine needles have 5x the vitamin C of oranges. You can steep a bunch of them in hot water and make a tea if you want. It tastes about like it smells, which isn't that awful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join