It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the three best foods to have?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There is a conversation starter that I play every once in a while:
if you were going to be stranded on a desert island for a year and could only take three foods, what would they be?

But this got me to thinking, in a survival situation,if you were gonna stock up on a few foods, what would be the best ones?

What woudl have the highest nutritional content, the most protein and vitamins? fat and calories?

Maybe versatility could be considered too. Like tomatoes can be fried, a sauce, baked, soups, raw, etc.

So in your opinion, what would be the three best foods to have?

I am thinking
beans
avocados
steak

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
rice
spam
and veg

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I did hear of a food that the Native Americans use to make, it was some kind of mix of buffalo meat, berries, and something else. But it was packed with nutrition and protein, and had like an amazing 1400 calories per cup.

I really wish I knew what it was called.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think you're refering to "Pemmican". To answer your question, I would go with;

1) Rice
2) protein powder (water mix type)
3) peanut butter

Peace.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Did you take a look at my thread on minimalist survival diets?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

I must admit, I did. That is why protein powder for me. It makes a ton of sense and this proves that your message is getting out. Nice work, ANoNyMiKE. Be well.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I did hear of a food that the Native Americans use to make, it was some kind of mix of buffalo meat, berries, and something else. But it was packed with nutrition and protein, and had like an amazing 1400 calories per cup.

I really wish I knew what it was called.

pemmican.

Im doing THERIVERDANCE so as to create a longer post......

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Chia seeds? Remember chia pets? Apparently the chia seeds have amazing properties. Ch-ch-ch-chia!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Potaoes, Lean Beef, Beans.

Thats, a pretty good meal right there!

In survival situations, it not always possible to live of shop products.

So for protien, most places, have worms/ant/termites. Crush them, dry them, and grind them. you have your own protien powder

For meats, Its easy to catch fish without a rod, and set some snares using, peeled bark/reeds. it doesnt take long to set up animal traps to crush/imaple them.

LOADS, of edibe mushrooms around, get a book.
Loads of edible plants. You can even eat nettles.(we call them stinging nettles, no idea if america has them, but they are green spkey leaves,3ft tall and give a stinging sensation for about an hour or 2 when touched,not poisness, and can be boiled to remove sting))

[edit-nettles]

[edit on 25-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

Lots of great points, Monkeybus. But honestly, I don't know what "nettles" are. As for eating bugs, if you're starving on a desert island, I think any objections to this we may have, would fade pretty quickly, wouldn't they?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
ok its not three - but i seem to recall klondike gold speculators carrying :

flour
beans
bacon
sugar

as pretty much a staple diet

obviously they had ` extras ` - yeast / baking soda , salt etc etc

and ` coffee ` was the luxury item

sadly i cannot remember how self sufficient that was - or if foraging for fish , berries / fruit and hunting / trapping game was also required

but my first question would be vitamin c source ? to prevent scurvy

[edit on 26-9-2008 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well in the fictional situation I would take the following:

1.) Rice
2.) Chicken
3.) Peppers

In a survival situation, well to be honest I would probably take the above however if I could only take three foods then I would substitute peppers for salad (even though thats more than one food!)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think it depends on which particular survival situation you're faced with. In a mass "end of civilization as we know it" scenario I think it would be very useful to have large quantities of salt, sugar, and spices. You'd be easily able to barter those to all the folks who had stockpiled rice, meat, and flour.

For the "lost on a desert island" scenario - well my kids are living proof that you can survive and even thrive for years on little more than peanut butter sandwiches - so peanut butter and flour for bread-making. Add coffee into that for my third food and I think survival life might not be so bad.

My wife has insisted that I mention chocolate. I suspect there may be lots of folks out there who agree with her that it is one of the most basic of necessary foods.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
1. Rice
2. Dehydrated black beans
3. Dehydrated peas.

I full on balanced blast of protein, carbs, and nutrients.

Might want to stock up on vitamins to cover all the other bases, too.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Brown rice
beans
green veg

sugar has little to no nutritional value
so not a personal choice here

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Beans, Rice (both prepacked with salt and other spices, Salt is a necessity) and vitamins or a vitamin powder drink mix.
Of course those require water. But I'll have that. This is a very minimal extreme list, as you limited it to three. that is my starting point for anything and anyone. Good choices by some others here are protein mixes, peanut butter, spam...
Good topic for making folks think =)

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Funny, just talking about this earlier with someone. In a stitch I'd take..
Rice, brown probably - Boring, but a staple
Potatoes - Another staple
Third is a toss up between canned Tuna and Marmite, tuna's better for you, but I love Marmite probably more than is normal :|

Like the suggestion of protein powder though, that's definitely something I'll think about getting a pack of.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Beans, Spam and winter squash. Fortunately, we don't have to limit it to 3. I think canned vegetables and soups are going to be a luxury.

I'll bet the Spam people love the survivalist mindset lately!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Sorry, didn't see the thread.

I have been pondering potatoes. i know they have potassium, and the carbs would be good for you. But would they have any other nutrional value?

But I guess their versatility would be good.

I am just asking these questions because I am looking for a focus on what to stock up on.

Peanut butter is something else I am considering.But I am not sure that there is a lot of nutrional value to that either.

I have definetly considered spam.
Mix it with some cheese and green onions and bake it on an english muffin. mmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Check out Nutrition Data, it's got the nutritional information for more or less everything, makes for some interesting reading if you want to know what's best.

Just my 2 cents, don't know if it'll help or not though mate.

[edit on 29-9-2008 by DarkPassenger]

[edit on 29-9-2008 by DarkPassenger]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join