It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of pop-over ads !!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
Here's your screenshot. Quite annoying...
otakuscion.com...

I've seen a banner that looks like that, but it's never expanded on me.

Those types of banners are "expanders" and originate with companies like EyeBlaster.

I'll see if I can find where it's coming from.

Here's the odd thing... our ads run in "iFrames" (inline frames) which should prevent something like that from overlapping the page.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I don't use anything anymore no AVG, zonealarm, popup blockers, nothing besides No script for Fire Fox, spybot and Malewarebytes I run a scan weekly. I have never gotten a popup on ATS/BTS forums since I have been a member.

Free download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Free download Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6

edit

using ad blockers is a breach of the Terms And Conditions Of Use

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

Also popup blockers will stop you from opening PodCasts and ATS Chat windows.

[edit on 26/9/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I get the expander at least once a day. Not everytime I log on, or go the the ATS site. The one I have been getting of late is Edison, the electric company. Sometimes it drops down 2 or 3 times in a row. OK so I downloaded Hijackthis, hope it works...bil

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I run Firefox with a Linux OS and I have never seen not one on here. Maybe you have something wrong with your browser? I also have the McAfee Site Advisor and it shows ATS as green. Usually when I go to a website that has popups the status bar will turn yellow.. I hope your problem gets resolved.. I use to hate popups so I know how annoying they can get.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
edit

using ad blockers is a breach of the Terms And Conditions Of Use

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

Also popup blockers will stop you from opening PodCasts and ATS Chat windows.

[edit on 26/9/2008 by Sauron]

Wow, I thought you were joking but that is indeed in there. I didn't even know you could (legally) do that, but aparently, you can. So is it against the T&C to use text based browsers like Lynx for instance?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I get a fair amount of pop ups on this site as well, but most just flash and then disappear. (subliminal perhaps
) Very few do I have to click on to move.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have been getting them the past few days when I first get here before I log In too. The same ones described in the thread already.

Originally posted by EnlightenUp

I just click outside it anywhere on the page and it disappears.

Same here. Perhaps the OPs Log In issue (ad reappearing when using tab to enter his/her password) has to do with connection speed? For what it's worth, I keep my username and password stored so I don't have to type anything only have to hit the Log In button. That might have something to do with it too.

I am using IE7 and perhaps it selects that browser in particular so that not everyone sees it?

Firefox here.

Not a big deal for me, one click and it goes away; just reporting in. I will log out and try to grab an image on my way back in. If I succeed I'll post it here.

(edit)Well my TRS-80 style computer know-how didn't allow a screen grab, but the split-open chest is an ad for DVDs for a show called Pathology... not sure if that helps but I'll try again later.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Rren]

PS,

Clicking the ad leads to here: www.foxstore.com...

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Rren]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Cool.

I know not to mouseover them, but sometimes it slips and does happen.

As for iframe, that's a bit odd, and I can't say I've ever heard of it. Is it in the background? The only thing I can guess is the ad expands the window, but if that was true, then I'd assume that the smaller ads would shrink it...so I know that it must be a fixed size.

Maybe this is a conspiracy SO!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I had a few til i got Web Security Guard.

The only thing that annoys me now are ads like the Saw 4 one.The constant flickering is so annoying and it gives me headache.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Screenshot from me too with another ad that popped up on me twice, i got it the second time!

Pop over ad...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrimUK
Screenshot from me too with another ad that popped up on me twice, i got it the second time!

Pop over ad...

Your screenshot definitely shows a popover ad generated by spyware on your computer.

Browser popovers are spawned from a static source. (Notice how none of the advertising adjacent to the popup relates to the ad). This is a dead giveaway that you are infected with spyware.

Try this:
Anti-Malware Toolkit

Good luck

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yeah.

I would either get the updated version of IE or Firefox for better activeX protection. Also, download some spyware removal tools - like the one previously provided, spybot, or adaware SE.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Thanks clay2 but I already use spybot and have most up to date versions of IE. I did run spybot again to check that there is no malware etc and it found nothing. I only got these popovers on this site, any other sites i visit it doesn't happen, any ideas??

Also, the popover ad relates to the advert at the very top of the page adjacent to the ATS logo. I have seen the "Pathology" advert on there a few times but it doesn't always popover.

[edit on 28/9/08 by GrimUK]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I screen-capped this one too for Turtle Wax:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't get any pop-ups at ALL and never have.

Before you all blame ATS, it is strongly suggested that you either update your AV or format your drive too remove anything resident (also, if you are on a network, re-install it).

ATS has been honest in what they do so-far, why place the onus on them for your lax in internet usage?

Take responsibility for your own actions people.

I am constantly fixing peoples computers because they click on things that say "FREE" (just an example).

Cheers, Fox.

(and no, I don't get paid too fix the computers.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join