It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood cut secret deals to promote smoking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Hollywood cut secret deals to promote smoking

www.newscientist.com

obacco companies paid stars like Al Jolson, Bob Hope and Clark Gable to promote smoking as part of secret advertising deals with movie studios, according to a new analysis of cigarette endorsement contracts between 1927 and 1951.

The stars made thousands of dollars peddling cigarettes to consumers. But the analysis shows that major studios and tobacco companies reaped far bigger benefits.

In exchange for star testimonials of brands such as Lucky Strike, tobacco companies promoted movies in adverts worth millions of dollars, the documents show.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ok, this isn't really big news to anyone here. It does lend more credence to the idea that Hollywood could be a tool of corporations or the government even today.

What are some examples of Hollywood movies that you think could be used to condition the population toward certain ideas?

"The US Federal Trade Commission attempted to clamp down on the relationship beginning in 1929 on the grounds that advertiser-written endorsements misled consumers, but studios easily circumvented these rules through lobbying and carefully worded disclaimers."

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well product placement is still used in a big way today, just look at any film where the pepsi can takes front and centre, just about all films these days are involved.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Have you ever seen Thank You for Smoking. This reminds me of that movie very much. It is a good movie too. Not a docu. like I assumed in the beginning.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

What are some examples of Hollywood movies that you think could be used to condition the population toward certain ideas?

I can think of several off the top of my head.
-Anything by Michael Moore
-An Inconvenient "Truth" (parenthesis mine)
-The Day Afer Tomorrow

Basically, if you view today's lobbyists as corporations, almost everything coming out of Hollywood still has a corporate angle to it, at the very least it has a political agenda and spin, and since the political machines are shills of the corporations, the money stream always finds its way to greedy hands.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is this reason as to why I don't goto the movies anymore. Everything produced is rubbish.
Pro-American
Pro-Jewish
Anti-Islamic
Anti-German

Also, directing is all bull # these days. Fast paced, bobing cameras, stupid camera angles, CGI abused.

Also, Hollywood cannot help but add unrealistic comedy, and fricken romance into everything.

I wish they would make movies such as Terminator 2, etc.

top topics

join