It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official, Obama to make AWB permanent

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

There is nothing wrong in what your saying and perhaps I have generalized a bit, but the propensity for abuse by non-responsible individuals with access to high capacity magazines is to great imo. Unfortunately, all it takes is for the one out of ten thousand responsible individuals like yourself to pull off a LA bank robbery utilizing such weapons to make it bad for everyone else who employ them in a recreational fashion. I don't know you, but you come across as one of those responsible 9,999 who will suffer because of the aformentioned idiot who decides to gear up like Rambo and rob a bank. To be quite honest, I am neither for or against the AWB, but I won't be upset if all I get to have are handguns/hunting rifles and shotguns. I just don't see it as a big loss.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

What planet do you live on?? Do you live in Mr. Roger's neighborhood? If so, can I come live there? The world I live in is full of evil thugs, who couldn't care less if they kill you for 10.00 bucks in your pocket. If guns are banned, you can be sure the criminals WILL still have them. I would rather kill than be killed, or kill while protecting my family from the bunch of manics that are running around this planet. NO, I don't live in the hood either, or a bad area. Take the blindfold off. Educate yourself and stop being so ignorant to the right to bear arms. By the way, I am female.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ORIPEIA

I just don't see it as a big loss.

That's fine. There may be a day when something you enjoy or do is under attack though and while you're frantically trying to hold on to the little thread you have left some guy says "I just don't see it as a big loss." Everybodys freedoms are interconnected. Some group loses one another is sure to follow. It's been that way as long as there has been "authorities" and "officials."

Then, you could just be one of those people who simply don't do anything worthy of opposition but given the amount of "offense" and "outrage" at the most ridiculous things I've been unfortunate to see I think it's a safe bet that somewhere some individual or group objects to something you do and it's only a matter of time before some politician sees fit to exploit that at your expense for his gain.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Do you believe we can defend ourselves against our government with Assault Rifles?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHunted

Do you believe we can defend ourselves against our government with Assault Rifles?

Like in some grand us vs. them war? No. Why does that even matter? On the great list of why the hell I want to own "_____" I'm not even sure "fighting a war with the government" is listed.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

That seems to be the main defense in this thread. We need AW to defend against the government. Just wondering where you stood on that.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ORIPEIA

Well I usualy shoot 490- 496 out of 500 at 600 yards so I guess I could be considered a fair shot with my M-4. Clips of 30 rounds tend to screw up anyway so I only use a 20! I understand the use of the bolt action. I have 5 Custom Mausers of differing caliber, 3 I've built myself. Because of the anti's verilent fight to keep our youngsters from becoming decent riflemen and women, the foot soldier as a whole needs a weapon that can be fired with large capacity clips. The men and women I have trained over the last 30 years (NRA certified) all have one thing in common, 90% have never even touched a firearm let alone fired one. Thats sad in a country that has always prided itself on the peacefull use of firearms for hunting and target shooting. Most folks I shoot with do not hunt they only love to punch paper and improve their skill like in any sport taken up by any citizen!
Zindo

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
eh. whatever. if you guys cant live without your big giant guns... then move to some other country. Cause in this one, if regular self defense weapons aren't good enough, then somewhere in russia will let you shoot off you ak's.

I think you' shoot yourself in the foot' when you say the weapons arent eve for defending yourself against the gov. Thats the basis of defense of the 2nd ammendment. If you throw that argument out, then whats left? You want to shoot some big giant over the top gun for fun? Ok,guess what, Obama's winning, bye bye big gun.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
eh. whatever. if you guys cant live without your big giant guns... then move to some other country. Cause in this one, if regular self defense weapons aren't good enough, then somewhere in russia will let you shoot off you ak's.

I think you' shoot yourself in the foot' when you say the weapons arent eve for defending yourself against the gov. Thats the basis of defense of the 2nd ammendment. If you throw that argument out, then whats left? You want to shoot some big giant over the top gun for fun? Ok,guess what, Obama's winning, bye bye big gun.

You have no idea.

bye bye freedom

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

yep all freedom is lost because of the extension of an AWB. Cause over the 90's I really lost my freedom. Puh-lease. Its the last grasp at straws of an argument in defense of over the top unnecessary guns....

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You know, this is so typical. No one actually take an analytical look at the statistics available. Everyone falls into this "emotional" response system. The reality is a gun is an inanimate object in and of itself. It is entirely incapable of being fired unless there is someone behind it willing to pull the trigger. Why can't people follow simple logic?

Put the anti-gun cool-aide down for just a moment and think about the following:

The courts have consistently ruled that the police do not have an obligation to protect individuals. In Warren v. District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App. 1981), the court stated: `… courts have without exception concluded that when a municipality or other governmental entity undertakes to furnish police services, it assumes a duty only to the public at large and not to individual members of the community.'

source

So what does that tell you? It means the police have no obligation to protect you as an individual. Yes, the police will come after you call 9-1-1. but by then, it's only going to be to "investigate" the crime that has already been perpetrated. When's the last time you called 9-1-1? How long where you on hold? How long did it take to get someone on-site?

Now, ask yourself the following questions and be honest with yourself:

• If guns are effective enough to be a criminal's preferred tool, why are they not good enough to use for protection?
• Why do politicians insist their bodyguards be armed, but not you and I?
• If you and your children were face-to-face with a male attacker twice your size, what would you do; If you weren't armed? If you were armed?
• If guns are "too dangerous" to be in our society, how come our leaders want to be the only ones who have them? Do you trust our leaders implicitly to protect you at all times?
• Which is better – more gun control and the eventual banning of all guns in our society, or not sitting by helplessly watching as an intruder repeatedly rapes you, your wife or your child?
• If we ever completely ban guns, do you think there will be no more armed criminals in America?
• With so many gun laws already on the books, why do "gun crimes" still exist?

I thought this site was about educating people to help them deny ignorance? Get a clue people, the powers that be want you to be as docile as possible. If you are unable to protect yourself against Joe-blow gang banger, well, I think you can put the rest of the puzzle pieces together yourselves....

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

You're little "bye bye big guns" nonsense screams of ignorance. Under the AWB almost all that will be left are the "big guns." The AR-15 is a pea shooter. The AK is slightly larger but unimpressive. We'll all have .243 Winnies and .30-06's and bolt .50BMG's. Those are "big" guns. Big enough to pop heads like rotting grapes over some fantastic distances.

Arent you always prancing out the "Im a grad student...blah blah" line and talking about how much you make and what not? Allegedly so smart yet so quick to dismiss such a large liberty and throw out the hobbies and sports of many people with nothing but ignorant presumptions and some blind lust for a politician?

Gotta love your sig. The irony is hysterical.

I'm surprised you didnt start a new thread entirely and attempt to pass it off as your own. For a while there that was a recurring theme with you.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well, now that I understand this issue (thank you, Open_Minded Sceptic) I can say that the kind of situation present both here in Canada and in Scandinavian countrys should be what America strives for. Here, we can own shotguns and hunting rifels pretty easily, so long as a proper regestration with the governmet exists. The last time I even herd of when one of these guns was used, a bear was charging at the guy. What you in America need to worry about is not weather guns are being owned but how mature and responsible the owners of firearms are with them.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I live in Flint, MI check the crime statistics. One of worst cities in the U.S., and all I own is dog and Shotgun. That's all I need, the dog warns me if someone is up to no good I load the shells and that's it. I wouldn't feel any safer if I had an Assault Rifle. Plus I don't have to worry about stray bullets killing the infant across the street.

Keeping it real

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If you look at the school shootings in the USA, all but one the shooter was on SSRI - antidepressant drugs or just came off of the drugs.
The high use of antidepressant drugs to control kids in school is the biggest problem the has lead to more deaths.
Also if you look at England they have outlawed guns years ago and they have a problem with people killing each other with knifes and have started to ban knifes now.
What will be next outlawing rocks?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Personally, I wouldn't mind owning an M4 as it is a fine weapon system, but if the government decided to take it away from me as an option, it wouldn't upset me. My choice for home defense is a handgun (.45ACP/.357 SIG). Unfortunately, I live in a county in NY that only allows Bowhunting so the need for a rifle for me is further reduced. However, I am in no way saying that you don't have the right to own assault weapon, just that it's not such a big deal if Uncle Sam says no more. You still have plenty of toys left to play with.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

Wow, a post that actually makes sense on here. Someone who wants to deny ignorance instead of spew the attacks of either the right or the left political machines in this country. You are a fine american who actually gets it. Too bad more people on this site cant take the talking point blinders off to actually look for the truth.

On a different note, to the anti-gun liberals out there. You have to admit there is a great deal of irony in your overall platform. You want to ban guns, therefore reducing freedom in America. Even though it is a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution. Yet, you fight tooth and nail for abortion rights, taking God out of the classroom and courtrooms claiming the SCOTUS says abortion is a choice, and there must be a seperation of church and state. I dont know or care what your abortion or religion/state views are, but you should at least try to stay consistant when looking at our nations laws and rights.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by bknapple32

You're little "bye bye big guns" nonsense screams of ignorance. Under the AWB almost all that will be left are the "big guns." The AR-15 is a pea shooter. The AK is slightly larger but unimpressive. We'll all have .243 Winnies and .30-06's and bolt .50BMG's. Those are "big" guns. Big enough to pop heads like rotting grapes over some fantastic distances.

Arent you always prancing out the "Im a grad student...blah blah" line and talking about how much you make and what not? Allegedly so smart yet so quick to dismiss such a large liberty and throw out the hobbies and sports of many people with nothing but ignorant presumptions and some blind lust for a politician?

Gotta love your sig. The irony is hysterical.

I'm surprised you didnt start a new thread entirely and attempt to pass it off as your own. For a while there that was a recurring theme with you.

What are you talking about? I try and start threads passing new subjects off as my own? Um I'd love to see some proof behind such a lie. Thanks for the attack though. Its what one does when they are out of actually facts, they attack the person who opposes them.

For someone who seems to follow my posts, you'd think you would of read that I too am a gun owner.

As a poster said above this. He has his shotgun and dog, what more do you need?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHunted

Keeping it real hunted... Well put. One shot fired from my handgun or a shotgun will do just enough as a spray of bullets from an assault rifle.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

As a poster said above this. He has his shotgun and dog, what more do you need?

How many times does it have to be said: it's not about need.

If it were about need we'd all be rationed rice and lentils and told to be happy. If it were about need nobody would have a car that went over 25MPH if anyone had cars at all. If it were about need as, 44soulslayer put it, you can live off of one kidney so why not cut the other one out?

It's not about need, it's not about using a 30 rounder to defend your home and for the most part it isnt about rushing up against the government in some fantasyland neo-civil war conflict.

If we're in a free country I or anyone should be able to own and enjoy any damn thing they please. If America wants to give up the charade and stop calling itself "land of the free" and give up all this B.S. "freedom" talk then go ahead and deny natural born rights, shred the Constitution and call me a criminal because I wont give up the only damn thing I take any real interest in because some control freaks have decided arbitrarily that that the "thing" whatever it is is too dangerous.

How about a little liberty Mr. Liberal? You seem to rival only neo-cons when it comes to racing America down the police-state road.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join