It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official, Obama to make AWB permanent

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Your going to run to somwhere else because you cant own a gun? that seems a bit silly, and i never really understood why americans make such a big deal about gun ownership..

noone needs guns!, guns are nasty little machines, simply developed to kill and hurt people or animals ( no, im not a veggie or against hunting!)

really, what do YOU need a gun for? and why does it upset you that you cant own a gun.. something that can only be used to harm someone.

on guns, america needs to stop living in the old times, this is 2008 ! not 1908.

guns are bad!, and the politicians are spot on with what they say , why they HELL does ANYONE need an ak 47 lying about their house unless their actualy at war and in genuine danger of someone shooting at the, ?

[edit on 25-9-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It is always better to have a gun and not need it than not to have one when needed. Guns will be worth more than the almighty dollar by the end of the year so I consider them a good investment and a nice birthday or Christmas gift.

Like Charlie used to say,they will get my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

So where's my sattelite defense system and air support if we're going to have a fair fight?

That right was written at a time when people fought with muskets. I do wonder what they would have guaranteed us the right to if they had written it today.

What kind of country do you really think we would be living in if everyone said "let's fight the government and turn this place into a warzone!". There would be no structure AT ALL. No jobs, no fuel, no food, no anything. Everything would stop. It would look and function worse than the middle east. No place I want to raise any children. This is a good place we live and if you don't think so you haven't been to the bad ones.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by Spoodily]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

really, what do YOU need a gun for? and why does it upset you that you cant own a gun.. something that can only be used to harm someone.

For when the government lets American families go homeless and bailout the crooked banks with 700b dollars. For when the election system fails and the only voice is heard is big corporate.

For US to keep OUR government from invading YOUR country for profit.

Any other questions?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Spoodily

I was responding to the OP who wants to have children go to school with automatics over their shoulders. I've been a crack shot since the age of nine and have owned many guns in my life. Its been over 30 years since I used more than three bullets on a hunt. Two too make sure my scope has not been moved and one to take my winters meat supply. I prefer a bolt action 30-06 or a 7mm magnum for all around hunting use. The 7mm is a little flatter shooting but the ammo for an 06 gives more choices and is cheaper.

I'm a lousy shot with a pistol though. Have a couple but never had much use for them. I keep them to defend against Brown Bear. Self-defense is best done with a scatter gun. Who needs a pistol when you can hit inside a handspread at 350 yards or further with a varmint gun.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I'm tired of politicians and the like wasting their time over something so meaningless as an "assault weapons ban".

What does it matter whether I fire a .45 out of a 1911 or from a Thompson, it's still a .45. A 7.62x39 is still a 7.62x39, whether it comes out of a weapon with a 6-pos stock or a fixed stock.

This video says it all.

From now on, please refer to fully automatic repeating rifles as "assault weapons" and semi-automatic repeating rifles as "the only kind you can buy without taking out a loan".

Note: To whoever it was that said the round from a semi-auto rifle is too powerful to hunt with, and will only go through the game, the .308, 30-06, and .375 Holland (all popular hunting rounds) are more powerful than the .223, 5.56, or7.62x39, which are very common in most AR/AK type weapons (aka, "assault weapons"). If they want to ban "assault weapons" because of the 6-pos stock, then I'll just get a more accurate, more powerful weapon. And I would imagine any criminal that knows anything about firearms will do the same (or just stick with what works, pistols).

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hi fellow ATS'er. Got this email today. Seemed appropro for this topic, as I couldn't say it better.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

(This is why Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Hillary Clinton want gun control so badly! )

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

IF YOU AGREE, PASS THIS "REFRESHER" ON TO TEN FREE CITIZENS.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If Obama was smart he would leave the gun issue alone. 100 percent. He could come out and look rual America in the eyes and say he will not support any gun control. He does that......He even gets my vote.
No #.

However if he does try to bring back the AWB there will be a huge market for machineguns from China, Russia, and Israel. See how well the drug war is going, now imagine the profit on guns. I want a house in Costa Rica! I could give a crap about the inner city. Until then I will follow the law..To the letter. But I will not let them infringe on that right again.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

I don't know where you're from, but right after the extraction at Dunkirk, the British government ran newspaper ads here in the United States begging for Americans to donate guns. Any rifle, pistol, or shotgun, of any caliber. Apparently, there were a crapload of Germans right across the water, and had they elected to cross the Channel at that moment, Britain was fairly defenseless. An unarmed citizenry.

Recently, they reverted to the same situation. So if the population of foreign militant religious folks, the same ones who bring such misery to the rest of the world decide to open the ball in Britain, they'll not have a very difficult time.

By contrast, here in the southeastern United States, there really is a gun behind every blade of grass.

Our forefathers wanted its adult citizens to have the most advanced weapons available at all times. To handle any enemy, foreign or domestic. That would in modern times equate to not only machineguns, but mortars, artillery, claymore mines and the whole bag of tricks.

I have lived where every man was armed and it was a very polite society. Troublemakers dropped faster than burdschitt in a downdraft.

An armed citizenry is a more understanding citizenry.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to READ the constitution idiot! That'll answer it for you. GEEEZ!
post by boaby_phet

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Your going to run to somwhere else because you cant own a gun? that seems a bit silly, and i never really understood why americans make such a big deal about gun ownership..

noone needs guns!, guns are nasty little machines, simply developed to kill and hurt people or animals ( no, im not a veggie or against hunting!)

on guns, america needs to stop living in the old times, this is 2008 ! not 1908.

guns are bad!, and the politicians are spot on with what they say , why they HELL does ANYONE need an ak 47 lying about their house unless their actualy at war and in genuine danger of someone shooting at the, ?

Well it is quite obvious that you are NOT a supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

No one needs guns? Are you insane or just completely naive? Hunters, LEO's, MIL, DOD, Gov't Employees, Home-Owners, Ranchers, Farmers, Hikers, Boat-Owners, Target-Shooters, Competitors, Mushers, Fishermen, Scientists, Zoo Keepers, Wildlife Officials, etc. The list goes on, and on, and on. Guns are a necessary FACT of survival, whether you wish to believe it or not. They have been such for well over 400 Years.

The Founding Fathers of America were wise well beyond their years. They not only recognized the need for Americans to have a right to own guns for hunting, they also recognized the significance between this right, and the very birth of the United States. If Americans had never possessed guns, they would have not only starved to death, or been massacred by Indian War Parties, they would have also been helpless in Revolting against tyrannical rule. An Armed Populace is one which will never bear witness to a Dictatorship, that is the bottom line. The final move that Hitler made before his complete takeover of Nazi Germany was the disarmament of its citizenry.

As for your ignorant comment on the Decade in which we live, you have obviously never lived in a crime ridden neighborhood or a wilderness environment for that matter. If you ever do, you will immediately and irrevocably face a reality so opposite of your currently sheltered world, you might just faint from disbelief.

What can I say? You have a truly misconstrued idea of reality, and a complete lack of understanding behind why we have the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I appreciate our courageous law enforcement personnel, but there really is little they can do. They, like firemen, arrive too late. When was the last time you saw a bank robber caught in the act? Or a murderer? Or any criminal at all? I would like to see the statistics on law enforcement protection.

IMHO, law enforcement is a reporting agency. They fill out the paperwork after the event. The paperwork is necessary for prosecution at a later time, if and when the criminal is caught. I would like to see the statistics on how many are caught.

A close friend of mine was a police officer dispatched to a domestic violence call. He gave the husband a warning. Later that night, there was a second call. He went to the house, and the husband was waiting with a shotgun, and blew off a lot of the top of my friend's head. He lived, but the head injury changed his life completely, and he lost his wife and friends.

Simple domestic violence seems easy enough, but it isn't, and is a dreaded dispatch for our police. They want to serve and protect, but not lose their lives in the process. I understand gun violence well, and was in the military service for 18 years.

If you are attacked, you must respond with equal or greater force. What if we had an unarmed military, and decided they needed to be armed after they were attacked? IMHO, you need to have a weapon or two around, locked and ready for use at a moment's notice for self defense. After the episode, call the police and have them fill out a report and haul the body away. It is never was and never will be a crime to defend yourself.

Those who want gun control want to end peace and safety in our nation, and want to lose our nation to foreign powers. The main reason Japan did not invade our mainland is because they knew we had guns in almost every home.

Get a gun, and teach your family how to use it. You'll be glad you did.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Idiotic politics make, and sign laws...

Courageous cops, and honest people, must live, and dye, because of them...

Doesn't this idiot know that criminals always get their hands on weapons, one way or another? Doesn't he know that no self respecting criminal ever uses a registered gun?

So to gain a few votes, or just to be PR, he:
-Risks the life of cops, that must enforce this idiocy...
-Ignores the right of law abiding citizens to defend themselves...
-Makes sure that the only armed civilians are the criminals...

Of course this is just a political stunt, but I never thought, in my lifetime, I would see a stupider-then-Bush politician running for office, and having a chance to win...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Don't even try to tell me I don't need a gun!

Gun Town USA

In March 1982, responding to the passage of a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois, and the fawning media coverage that accompanied it, the city council of Kennesaw, Georgia, decided to make a statement of its own. With exceptions duly made for convicted felons, the disabled, and those with religious objections, the council passed (unanimously) an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Crime just isn't much of a problem in "Gun Town U.S.A."
The most recent homicide, in 1989, was committed with a knife.

Stephenson fears the slippery slope.

"Next year, I'll guaran-damn-tee you that there'll be another bill broadening the number [and] kinds of guns you can't own." I ask him if Kennesaw's gun law would work in, say, New York City. "I don't know, but gun control don't work in New York City either."

Twelve years after it began, Kennesaw's experiment in crime control does not present itself as an easy way to arrest the killing in America's streets. It does, however, suggest where the problem doesn't lie.
As Mayor Stephenson told a national gun rally in Kennesaw a few years back, "We're the town that proves more guns doesn't have to mean more crime."

Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

"I didn't think it could be written in a constitutional fashion," he said. "Obviously, it was constitutional, because the American Civil Liberties Union challenged it in court and we won."

Me personally? Like I said, don’t even think of telling me I don’t need a gun, or that they’re “dangerous and nasty” - of all the idiotic things I’ve heard that ranks up there on the top ten.

When living in the USA - I didn’t go anywhere without a gun. I had a permit to carry, undercover (H&K P7 M13).
If I went to Boston or New York, I carried anyway taking the chance of a mandatory prison sentence if I was *caught*.

Instances when I’ve used my gun (guns)-(Over a 10 year period)

A drunk hunter drove beside my property asking for permission to hunt my land - rifle in hand. He became aggressive and belligerent when I told him no. I *pulled down* on the driver and held him until police arrived.
No, I’m not a *good ol boy* (girl) that will allow hunters to hunt armed and drunk. (S&W .44M)

I put down a horse that was mortally wounded after being hit by a car - the State Police Officer hadn’t a clue how to humanely euthanize the animal. There was no way I was going to wait for 45 minutes for a veterinarian to show up at the accident scene. (Taurus .22 hangun). I also shot and killed my own colt who the vet tried to euthanize, and, for whatever reason, after 4 full 60cc syringes of S.P - the colt was still thrashing.
The *One Shot* put him out of his misery before he even hit the ground.
(S&W 357M)

I shot and killed a 3 legged coyote that was after my livestock in the field. 130 yard shot - Dead on.
(Ruger .223 folding stock military anti-shock)

I shot a rabid raccoon wobbling it’s way down the middle of the road snarling and biting it’s own front legs. (H&K P7 M13 9mm) Another rabid raccoon by the neighbors trash heap - same thing - rabid and hurting. (S&W .357)

I shot the neighbors dog - in my barn attacking and eating a nest of baby bunnies. (TCU 7mm) - and - another neighbors dog attacking and killing my second neighbors geese. (S&W 357M) (Yes, there is a leash law).

I shot and killed a fox running out of my chicken pen, with a fluffy hen in it’s mouth. (Taurus .22).

I protected myself against an intruder (male) who came into my home, drunk, where my daughter, myself and a young woman who worked for my farm were sleeping.
I did not kill him, but, the 12 gauge blew a hole through the door he wa running OUT of.
He didn't return.
And yes I called the police.

I also fed my family - via hunting - via the gentle and humane euthanasia of the farm animals we produced for meat. One shot. Dead before they knew what hit them. No pain. No fear. (Ok so I cried afterwards but that's just me).

Now tell me I don’t need a gun.
The day I don’t need a gun is the day I’ll eat mine.

By the By - why not take your heads out of your hind-sides and check the statistics.
More children are killed a year by drowning in home owned pools than handguns.
(oooooh better ban those bad babies)!!!
More a year killed in car accidents.
(That’s it, no more rides to school for you Junior)!
Think of the idiocy in this!

Use your heads!
Control your guns properly.
TEACH your children the right was to use a gun, just like you’d teach them to use the stove, drive a car, etc.
It’s all in education and the absolute 100% no tolerance for ignorance!!!

...taps...

[edit on 26-9-2008 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Self-defense is best done with a scatter gun.

And that is the only gun I own, and for that purpose alone

That said, if I could afford it, and had a place to store it, I would also own a tank for that purpose

**p.s I think people should be allowed to purchase fully-automatics.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
They have already stated that it would only be for guns that gang type folks use, and criminals would use. Its not like they are going to take away a hunting riffle from a hunter. Simply put folks in Cities don't need rifles any ways. What would they want one for? Unless if they wanted to go kill someone? If you want an automatic riffle then you most likely do not want to go hunting. At least not for food. That is why they want to put a Ban on certain guns. I believe it would make us all feel safer to knowing our neighbors dont have an automatic riffle. Or a semi automatic riffle.

Hilda

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

So then hand guns?

Did you see the statistics posted earlier?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

your first paragraph, thats teh clincher.. as people in uk dont think like that.

the only real gun crime is crazy kids in gangs, we dont live in fear that someone will break into out house with a gun, its just not part of uk. We have never had guns legal so why would we think like that.

If someone breaks into my house im faily 100% sure they Wont have a gun, it just dont happen, common petty crinimals just dont have guns, at most maybe a .22 pellet gun
and thats about as threatening as a vegetarian vampire!.

at most, in uk, you would expect them to have a gun, or maybe punch you about abit, but we are also allowed to protect ourselfs, if someone comes into our house and acts threatening, its been set in stone we can use lethal force as long as the threat is their (go look up tony martin).

as much as we can discuss it with a uk point of view, i think its a futile argument for a few reasons, A - in uk we just dont get the gun concept the same way the americans do, and B - alot of americans think its their birth right to own a gun.

im with you on country folk / farmers, as most farmers in the uk own guns, mainly as the country folk seem to have more scence, they dont get guns to protect from people, they have them to control their stocks or drive away predetors, but with that people know that if they tresspass, or try to break into their houses they can get shot (again - see tony martin).

To answer your question, if things actualy got that bad, then i would probably start looking for a millita group and get armed, but that woudl be a completly crazy situation, and very unlikely (well, maybe not with gordon brown in charge)

Retseh - what you have replied with comes accross as very single minded - that guns can solve any problem ? how can something that kills things be a viable problem solver, thats more sweeping them under the rug , or putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la l al al a" to the problems of modern society.. this aint the 1600's, this aint the 1800's, this aint even the 1900's any more, we are in the 21st century now, and people shoudl have teh sence to solve problems without guns ... if their were no guns their woudl not be as much crime or gun related murders, and thats not speculation, thats fact.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join