It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would This Cost?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Below is the link to an idea to launch a 1 pound spacecraft to orbit. The idea looks simple but what would it cost?

wdv.com...

If it was cheap enough I have some areas on earth I would like to photograph

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Star Eagle]

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Star Eagle]

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Star Eagle, this is StarChild, come in, over. 10-4, I read you Lima Charlie. Stand by for extract. Big Bird's ETA is 2 Mikes, so bear with me, here Star Eagle. Starchild out.

I miss that #, man!

Anyway, my guess is somewhere around $100,000 at the most (for the launch anyway). Maintainence and Command and Control would be a hell of a lot more.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
www.space.com...

If you haven't, check out this site. There is some good info and links to info pertaining to info concerning the info you are requesting, for your information.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Join your local model rocketry club and find out!

Seriously. There's quite an art to launching stuff and getting it to a height of more than 300 feet or so (and then there's the issue of getting it down safely!) I've done a tiny bit of model rocketry stuff, and it's fun... but man, it'll give your math skills a REAL workout!

Cost... in the thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars... and then you have to get airspace permission. There's a lot of air traffic, and the FAA and other organizations will be on you like ugly on an ape if you launch something into the airspace without authorization.

Ah... but quit reading and go out and buy a little model rocket at one of your local hobby shops. Those things are *fun*!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have issues with that inlet spike. Mach 7 air coming in?? Wait till you get it in an "unstart" position, like the SR-71's. The shockwaves, traps, etc. are a real pain. You'll probably need titanium parts. Flameout, here we come.

But it's still a cool idea, despite the problems! (Isn't everything?)

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Star Eagle, this is StarChild, come in, over. 10-4, I read you Lima Charlie. Stand by for extract. Big Bird's ETA is 2 Mikes, so bear with me, here Star Eagle. Starchild out.

I miss that #, man!

10-4 on that Starchild, you can take the soldier out of the field but you'll never take the field out of the soldier,Star Eagle out.

new topics

top topics

join