It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID cards on their way in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
hello

well..this seems like the start of the nationwide identity card project in the UK.

we also received our personal identity numbers last week that are valid for our entire lives..and are supposedly for tax reasons..my small children got them too..opening the letter from the government wasnt a nice experience knowing this..as it seems..is the beginning of the chip project.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

Hi there,

are you a UK citizen or an immigrant? The link says its initially for Immigrants.

Just curious

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman

Hi there,

are you a UK citizen or an immigrant? The link says its initially for Immigrants.

Just curious

Yes, but however it fares when used with regard to immigrants, it will be lauded as a triumph of efficiency and 'common sense' and 'the way forward'. It's nothing more than a means to set a precedent to bolster plans for everyone to have them and sooner rather than later.

Truly, truly awful idea.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

It also says "initially" for "non-EU students" and "Marriage visa holders".

The operative word in that being "Initially".

It will be rolled out nationwide over the next decade.

"Students and marriage applicants first
Others to follow over coming decade
50,000 cards by next April
Costs £311m to 2018
Visa charges to cover costs"

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

God don't you just love letters from the Government? The last letter I got was to tell me "Sorry, but all of your military records and personal information has been stolen! OOOPPS!"

I don't even like the idea of my finger print being taken. This is just a prelude, get us used to being cattle, and then DNA will become mandatory.

Next we'll be seeing the microchip. That'll be the day I jump ship and disappear.

I'm starting to think that the UK is probably one of the worst places to live in the world considering the kind of crap we're about to put up with.

edit: I'm not an immigrant so i'll have to wait until 2011 for that, I cant' wait...

[edit on 25-9-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I've not received mine and i've not heard of that. Where in the UK do you live? Is the personal ID number only for immigrants.

I'm still awaiting a decent reason from the government as to why IDs are necessary.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said the cards would allow people to "easily and securely prove their identity".

So the question would be how? They already have passports. If they're here illegally then i'm sure the cards can be forged.

Also, what's to stop them losing thousands of these people's personal details on a CD on a train or somewhere else stupid.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Nammu]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu

I've not received mine and i've not heard of that. Where in the UK do you live? Is the personal ID number only for immigrants.

I'm still awaiting a decent reason from the government as to why IDs are necessary.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said the cards would allow people to "easily and securely prove their identity".

So the question would be how? They already have passports. If they're here illegally then i'm sure the cards can be forged.

Also, what's to stop them losing thousands of these people's personal details on a CD on a train or somewhere else stupid.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Nammu]

hello..no..sorry..i didnt explain properly..i live in germany..the german government has started to send out these ID numbers that i think are a EU wide thing...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
These ID cards for the foreign scapegoats remind me of the Star of David in Nazi Germany.

As it has been said many times over, people actually welcome the destruction of our human rights and privacy.

Anyone wonder why hatred of foreigners in the UK has sharply increased? Its all been propaganda and thought control.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

I'm starting to think that the UK is probably one of the worst places to live in the world considering the kind of crap we're about to put up with.

Yes, obviously....

We have clean running water, Free health care, a democracy of sorts, Rights for women, many groups and organizations fighting for and helping many people in a variety of situations, Free legal advice (C.A.B.) and the list could go on.

Although i don't like I.D. cards and probably will do what i did with poll tax years ago (not pay/do it) i have to say that we are far better off here than in most places across the planet.

I always moan about the UK but i have to say, it is rather silly to do so....we ultimately are very lucky.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Oh I agree, I meant to say "will be one of the worst". We have been living during one of the best periods of History, but it will probably cease to be like that in the coming years.

I personally would never trade my freedom for ANYTHING, regardless of how much we have going for us.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Fair enough, And neither will i.

I will go and live out in the woods with my tent and gear before i get chipped or anything like that.

In fact, a mate of mine has a house-boat on a canal near banbury, so I'll probably go bunk with him

I am with you on that, i thought you were saying that we generally have it bad in UK.... My mistake

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

LOL no probs mate

I'd be thinking along the lines of heading to Dover and swimming East
. Being a former Marine, I had the idea of camping out but they'll sweep every wood in Britain.

Europe is a larger place to "get lost" in

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

We have clean running water, Free health care, a democracy of sorts, Rights for women, many groups and organizations fighting for and helping many people in a variety of situations, Free legal advice (C.A.B.) and the list could go on.

I actually agree with this and I could probably add a dozen things to your list but I wonder at what point do we realise or admit that we live in gilded cages? That much of this is illusory and once you look beyond the surface it's all a bit buggered.

Take your point about clean running water. We're completely shafted in this country regarding privatised water. We use an antiquated method of setting water rates - set and fixed in 1974 - which are applied by staggering wasteful companies that make fantastic amounts of profit and laugh in the face of the industry watchdog. The water industry is a serious bugbear of mine.

Similarly, whilst I can't really fault the health care per se (I'm indebted to the wonder that is the NHS) the way it managed is outrageous and farcical. We could have twice the delivery and quality of service if it wasn't managed the way it is.

Again, I agree with the main thrust of your argument that it's ridiculous to say we're not lucky in a lot of respects - we don't live in a violent civil war for example - but, at the same time, we shouldn't be so grateful and subsequently docile and complacent that we shouldn't complain and be prepared to stand up when necessary. For example, I think most people would argue that women's rights in this country and far better than most in the world, but, at the same time there's still disparity between men and women's pay for example. Should women just be thankful that it's not worse or should we all strive for genuine equality? The same goes for racism laws &c.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

This is true... more space=less chance of getting caught.
I think to be fair though, we are a long way off getting hauled in and locked up/chipped etc... but then, you have to be prepared i suppose.

Well, give me a shout when you're thinking about that swim across the channel

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Well the grass is always greener as they say.

we do have better rights than most countries for ethnic groups and the disabled and so on and so forth.

we do have clean water and free health care, and while i see what you are saying and agree... i still think we are pretty lucky.

And no, we should Never be so complacent as to stop fighting for or working towards improvements in different aspects of social care and our lives and the lives of others in general.

Don't get me wrong...i know the government is crooked, i know that unless THEY want to do it, then it will not be done, no matter how many kick up a stink.

Or vice-versa.... if we don't want something and they do...we have absolutely no say.

I remember the march in london to not go into the iraq war.... made no difference, neither did the fact that the un and nato said it would be an illegal move.

means nothing to power-hungry leaders.

I will never be so docile or complacent that i ever take my eye off the ball....

top topics

join