It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hibernating stellar magnet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The hibernating stellar magnet: First optically active magnetar candidate discovered

Astronomers have discovered a possible magnetar that emitted 40 visible-light flashes before disappearing again. Magnetars are young neutron stars with an ultra-strong magnetic field a billion billion times stronger than that of the Earth. The twisting of magnetic field lines in magnetars give rise to 'starquakes', which will eventually lead to an intense soft gamma-ray burst. In the case of the SWIFT source, the optical flares that reached the Earth were probably due to ions ripped out from the surface of the magnetar and gyrating around the field lines.

www.physorg.com...

If anybody needs more info on nuetron stars goto
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
A magnetar is a neutron star with an extremely powerful magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays.[1] The theory regarding these objects was formulated by Robert Duncan and Christopher Thompson in 1992, but the first recorded burst of gamma rays thought to have been from a magnetar was on March 5, 1979.[2] During the following decade, the magnetar hypothesis has become widely accepted as a likely explanation for soft gamma repeaters and anomalous X-ray pulsars.

en.wikipedia.org...

Magnetars are neutron stars, left over from the death of a giant star. Their density and rapid rotation (several times per second) enormously increases the power of their magnetism. If you placed a magnetar where the Moon is, 400,000 kilometres away, it could still wipe your credit cards and rip spoons out of your pockets

www.fas.org...

[edit on 9/25/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Great find. but how can the magnetar be hibernating, can you please explain that clearly, I assume from the data that it is active.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Great find. but how can the magnetar be hibernating, can you please explain that clearly, I assume from the data that it is active.

Yes your quite right it is active but the theories behind the hibernation is that they are assumed to be in the latter stages of there lifespan thus lying dormant as there magnetic fields decay,
hope this helps

[edit on 9/25/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That solves my query, thanks hope that the magentic field does not affect us from the other side of the galaxy.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
That solves my query, thanks hope that the magentic field does not affect us from the other side of the galaxy.

Dont worry I am quite safe to say that we will not be effected by the magnetic field of this little monster

new topics

top topics

join