It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education: False Teachings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
My wife and I recently had an in depth discussion on current and past education. Why do school systems teach issues we all know are false? And why isn't something done about this? ex. Columbus was the "founder" of America? There is much data to prove he was not the first. Not even by 100 years! Why is our society so hesitant to change? Is it a form of control? Thanks for alternative views.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Well believe it or not you can think John D. Rockefeller.

He coined and helped set up the NEA (National Education Association). His main purpose behind setting up this association can be describe in this one quote of his:

"I don't want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers"

It is the democrats wet dream for public education. They pretty much indoctrinate our children from a young age and it continues through college. They teach our children to do what we are told and not question authority.

I can go into what to look for with these people, but it would be stereotyping and I wouldn't want to do that.

My apologies if your a liberal.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
when i looked at books from my parents era when they were at school, i found there were things i found hard to do even though it was for the same year that i was then in, now looking at the school work kids these days do it makes me cringe to think these kids are the future.

a few days ago i saw a kid in grade 10 at the library struggling through maths that i did in grade 7, now maths wasnt one of my strong subjects at school so it wasnt like i was doing advanced maths or anything...

were all doomed

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Yes! it's all about control... they "educate us" to think and believe in everything they want to. They want zombies to do the -hard work-.

I'm a kindergarten teacher & was so sad to experience how terrible the "education" is at most kindergartens...children are so amazing and it's like killing their essence. Trying to shape and close their minds and expression..

I guess in a way it had happened to all of us, don't we all have that "wounded"/supressed inner child ..?

Hey did you notice that the word TEACHER- has CHEATER inside?-

bUT Of course not all teachers are bad!- I've had a good dose of wonderful ones- those who teach you to open your mind, think for your own, and always question EVERYTHING that's given to you.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I am not liberal, so no offense taken.

Thanks to all for their info. You have a valid point of view I had not previously considered. I feel as a society we have begun to go backward.

Every generation seems to be less educated than the ones before. Regardless of an individual’s education level, the quality is what counts. Whether it is a PHD, Master's, college degree, etc. I do not feel the quality of education is what it used to be. My little sister, who is 14 years younger than me, is about to graduate high school. She does not know simple multiplication, and can not write an essay with correct spelling and grammar.

How long will it be before our education system has crippled society to the point of no return? It is said the children of today are the leaders of tomorrow. If this is true than our future looks pretty grim.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Stampthe95]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
That this eighteenth century model has failed doesn't appear to have impacted on its popularity.

Most education consists in children being breifed and de-briefed regarding factoid-based homework, in the same way as 10, 50, 150 years ago.

Subtext of reading materials for young children certainly promotes conformity, irrationalism and a fear-driven response to questioning and the questioners of anything.

Challenges to the homework-based system confront the populist notion that a child's education should replicate their parent's as closely as possible, otherwise parents will withdraw support.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

According to Wikiquote, the only source of this quote can be attributed to Jim Marrs taken from "One nation under seige"
en.wikiquote.org...
So having looked further I am finding it difficult to find elsewhere, did john D Rockefeller really say this?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Like I've said in other threads, if you were taught Columbus was the "Founder" of America, or that he sailed to prove the Earth was round, etc, than your school has failed you big time.

top topics

join