It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Reacts to John McCain Suspending Campaign

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ha, like I've said in other topics. McCain didn't go to DC, he staid in NYC. Hard to vote on a bill when you're in NYC.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
...his raising hell over a show cancellation because Senator McCain has put his job as senator above show business...

But that's just the point. To begin with Letterman was only raising hell because of the business aspect (Advertising revenue), then he went onto asking why then is he essentially putting his campaign on hold (nothing to do with the show) when that is what Sarah Palin is meant for.

It was not until Letterman saw that McCain was still in NYC doing a show with Couric and NOT on his way to Washington that he kicked up the biggest stink.

McCain lied to him, Letterman deserved to get upset.

Originally posted by xmotex
Calling someone a "genuine hero" is not exactly an epic trash-talking

He was making these comments when he was mildly peeved at McCain, saying that cancelling a show would be against his nature and something MUCH bigger must be going on.

Letterman didn't find out until later in the show that McCain had lied to him.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What a classic Dave vamp. 'Well, we got a couple of segments we were going to give to the senator. Now the senator isn't coming. What are we gonna do? We're gonna give it to the senator."

My favorite line came from Paul Schaffer. "Crate her? I hardly know her."

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

That's a good one SilentShadow, thanks.
And yes, Sarah is very cute for a barracuda that is.

David certainly take this one very personally and rightly so. McCain is not a maverick, he's just outrageous.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Oh, whatever. He told Dave that he was suspending his campaign. Appearing on Letterman or Couric is not evidence of having suspended a campaign.

Both shows are taped in the daytime and aired at night or early evening. Where was McCain during that Wednesday (09/24/08) afternoon, after he made the statement, "this campaign is suspending its advertising and fundraising"? McCain attended a fundraising dinner at New York City's famous 21 Club.

So - he lied. Plain and simple. And it's Letterman's show. He has a right to be pissed at getting ditched. The show doesn't run on air. Money was spent at McCain's favor, only for McCain to show disfavor to Letterman with a lie.

And McCain lied to the Obama campaign. Attending a fundraising dinner is not exactly the suspension of fundraising, is it? Not to mention advertising on Couric's show.

It's all a dog and pony show to McCain, that's clear now. Using the financial crisis to his benefit for photo ops and "credit".

Oh and McCain campaigned today giving a speech at the Clinton Global initiative in NYC. "Suspension of advertising and fundraising" -- what a joke!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Go Dave!

If McCain wins this election I officially give up any hope at all for America. There's no way in hell this guy can win, unless the voting machines/election is rigged or stolen.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Letterman is an institution around these parts. Aside from his cutting ironical comedy. He has his fingers on the carotid of the nation. He is a very smart man. reply to post by Oldtimer2

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I understand Letterman's predicament, but he's still handling it like a spoiled brat, even on tonight's show.

I know Letterman is a smart man. I've been watching him for almost thirty years, except when he was preempted by the NBC affiliate in New Orleans.

He's only making himself look bitter and vindictive and biased.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yeah. He did act like a little spoiled bitch tonight didn't he? As soon as Paris reared her sickly head it was off.

I must agree with you there. As intelligent as he is he can also be a turd.

He is quite and overtly full of himself, much like Oprah.

I don't like that in a person. You poop, you pee, and you put on your pants like all of us.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I rank David Letterman's attitude and opinion right up there with Brittany Spears. Iow, he means absolutely zero to me. I cannot see why anyone would take this incident seriously at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

It's not that specifically Letterman's attitude or opinion means anything more than anyone else's. For me, it's about McCain lying when he didn't have to. And this time, he got caught, red-handed. All he had to do was tell Letterman that he felt the serious atmosphere warranted he do an interview with Couric instead.

He could have been honest, but chose to lie.

It wouldn't matter if it was Letterman, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann or Britney Spears who was lied to. It's about McCain's questionable actions. For me, anyway.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I absoutely agree. People can sit there and judge Letterman's actions, however, that strays from the point. The fact of the matter was that Letterman was lied to by a Presidential candidate and Letterman only found out when he was taping a show.

How do you react when you find out someone JUST lied to you?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Really? That McCain chose to LIE about something so cursory rather than simply tell the truth? Havn't we had enough lies from the President? Doesn't this say anything about McCain's character? Maybe in and of itself it isn't a huge deal but it certainly gives us a glimpse behind the curtain.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I must agree with the previous posters.

The crux of the matter is a bold face lie to Letterman. He had reason to be upset.

And if he is going to lie about something relatively mundane, what else is he predisposed to lie about?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Ok can someone please tell me why you americans even give someone like Mccain a chance to be president?? dont you see how similar to bush he is? its like hes bum buddies with the guy both war mongering idiots! god why cant the general majority of bloody americans wake up?? far out most of you still believe in god

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
McCain,suspending his campaign was simply political theater at it's most transparent.He did nothing but use this situation for a photo op and to lessen the damage that interview with Palin did.Same for Obama showing up at the White House the game is fixed people.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I too am sick of the lies, like Obama's Selma lie, said to make himself look better. He lied to the entire country.

What lies will he tell us if he becomes president, heaven forbid?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Why are we giving so much credence to the hurt feelings of a comedian?

So a Politician lied, big deal, and to a comedian that makes a living making jokes about the everyday antics of Politicians.
Dave just can't handle the fact that this time he was made the butt of a joke.
Oh sweet irony.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Gee, I wonder who Letterman is voting for?

He's a registered Republican. One of many not voting for the crazy person again.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

In fact, it was a cheap shot.

[edit on 2008/9/25 by GradyPhilpott]

No. "Suspending" your campaign on the way to a fundraiser after not voting since APRIL is a cheap shot.

Dave DID his job.

Why do you identify with the crazy old man with PTSD so much Grady? You don't think you're qualified to be President do you?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join